vy or VT ss seats

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Has anyone fitted any new model SS front seats to torana hatch?  Any feedback appreciated

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Would this link help Ryan:-

http://www.gmh-toran...eats-into-a-lx/

Oh, and welcome to the Forum. Dave I

Has anyone fitted any new model SS front seats to torana hatch?  Any feedback appreciated

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Few guys have. They look absolutely atrocious. 

#4 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Dont know about the look in Hatchbacks but iv got VT seats in my LX. Never had problem with rego they just hide under daggy seat covers and are way more comfortable than my LX seats that felt like poo.

#5 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Ill never get the point of trying to make an old school car into a modern car.......it will never be and I reckon it ruins the whole look and feel of driving one of these old cars.

Yeh I understand the seats are more comfy and the new engines are way more powerful blah blah blah but its the nostalgia I like most......the way it used to be is something we have lost....... each and everyone to themselves though :stirpot:

#6 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  Have only just joined forum and can see the benefit of it already.  Dave appreciate the link.  Regards,

Ryan

#7 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

Ill never get the point of trying to make an old school car into a modern car.......it will never be and I reckon it ruins the whole look and feel of driving one of these old cars.

Yeh I understand the seats are more comfy and the new engines are way more powerful blah blah blah but its the nostalgia I like most......the way it used to be is something we have lost....... each and everyone to themselves though :stirpot:

It's funny.

I'm kind of exactly the opposite.  I like to modify and improve everything (except the look). I love the way old cars look but they drove shit new so like to bring them into the 21st century.  Each to own as you said :)

#8 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

I have Vy SS seats and couldn't go back to the standard seats which felt like milk crates, easy fit and the drivers seat is electrically adjustable. Just the thing for an old worn out back.  

Attached Files

Edited by axistr, 15 May 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#9 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

My friend Craig has Monaro seats in his red hatch and they would be the best seats hands down for any Torana. They are way more supportive than standard and much nicer to live with if your in the car for long lourneys.

#10 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hi Axi str and myss,

Did you install them yourself.  They look good.  Do you have any other pics to share. and were they hard to install?  Be good to see other cars with these or monaro seats in.  during my build I wnat to mix a bot of old with new as my hatch started out life as an SL 4 cyl so no real value to keep everything original.

If she was a genuine ss or a9x i would jkeep everything original. 

#11 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Nice looking seats too,

Thank's for the Close up Photo's, and I like the New Monaro Seats too. Dave I

like having a lounge

#12 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

Very easy to fit, Trimmed and bent the rear mounts to suit the rear of the torana floor. One of the original front bolt holes lined up and the other I drilled and fitted a flare nut. The VY SS seat even matched my interior trim pattern/scheme (grey & black) and fit in well with the original SS theme, they even come with the SS on the seat back so I didn't do anything to the front seats in the way of re trimming. I got some more material to do the door trims and rear seats. I also fitted new retractable front seat belts and left the original commodore stork in place bolted to the side of the seat.   

Very easy to fit, Trimmed and bent the rear mounts to suit the rear of the torana floor. One of the original front bolt holes lined up and the other I drilled and fitted a flare nut. The VY SS seat even matched my interior trim pattern/scheme (grey & black) and fit in well with the original SS theme, they even come with the SS on the seat back so I didn't do anything to the front seats in the way of re trimming. I got some more material to do the door trims and rear seats. I also fitted new retractable front seat belts and left the original commodore stork in place bolted to the side of the seat.  

Attached Files

#13 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

axistr,

yep you've helped me make up my mind.  they look great.  and for the cost of a second hand set it will be cheaper then having the old ones recovered and trying to get the plastic covers that are missing...

I am doing a red on black paint job too.  Do you have any more pics of your entire hatch inside and out that i can have a look at.  fee free to email them to me at [email protected]

#14 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

Hi Ryan click on the link below there is some more information here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2964809

#15 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Nice Ride Lenny,

Seat choice is for driver comfort at the time of manufacture, so keep it original or upgrade them is the Question.

Racing cars have different seats to suit the driving conditions,

such as weight, cornering 'G' forces, comfort in an accident, anti-fatigue and ease of use. Dave I

Recaro's were the 80's fashion, what are today's fashion?

Edited by TORYPOWER, 16 May 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#16 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Yep Dave had recaro's back in the 80 but I reckon the late model Holden seats are better again. I can drive it all day and get out feeling like I have only driven ten miles. The SLR is getting a set of VZ seats to, got them out of a SSZ ute which have all cow covering.

Wouldn't mind using the same covering as the hatch for the centre section to tie in with the original SLR scheme but the expense is starting to get away on this one so maybe later. 

#17 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

That's the way, A to B in comfort. Dave I

#18 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

axistr,

what a coincidence.  I actually saw your car one year ago in a photo on the web where you had it advertsing the auto glym wax and have been basing my build on your car.  Out pf all the pictures of hatches i downloaded the family agreed on a red and black colour choice based on your car.  I wondered how i could track down the owner to ask them some questions and it's you........  just looking at pics on your web link and have been blown away.  Top job.  don't think my budget will get mine to the same level. I was looking at painting mine ducati red on black.  I am gunna go the VY seats, Fuel injected V8, brown davis drop tank, and a set of 18x10 and 18 x8 prowheels twisted killer. 

Q;  where did you get your flare kit?  after doing research most people seem to recommend Wilson flares which are now made by Ernick fiberglass. any recommendations

Q: what are your paint colours?

Q: what size wheelsa nd tyres are you running and did you have to cut anything other than the outer guards.

regards,

Ryan. 

P.s  I'll send you a pic of the hatch once i work out how to attach a pic to this forum

#19 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

here you go Ryan - http://www.gmh-toran...e-2#entry762617

#20 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

The red project and the gold daiAttached File  resized both torries.jpg   64.31K   2 downloadsAttached File  resized hatch.jpg   64.31K   2 downloadsly driver

#21 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

I had a Red UC looking just like yours Ryan. Dave I

just had the big tail lights

#22 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

sorry second ic didn't load.  thsi is both Torries,  the red one is the project and Gold one is my daily driver

Attached Files

#23 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

Nice

#24 _Oceanpaddler_

_Oceanpaddler_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

Dave,

the red looks good from far but is far from good.  Both doors are rusty and there aare some other rust issues in various places.  bit scared on what its gunna costs to fix and paint.  gunna try and prep as much as i can.  Most of interior is out now... engine t go nexxt then the sweat and $$$ will start to come i am guessing. 

#25 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

yep Ryan, and the plenum will be leaking too, good luck Mate with the build. Dave i

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users