Photo

Sl/R sports mirrors

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

Yeah seen those sell on ebay for an absolute bloody fortune.

#27 hungus76

hungus76

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Name:Adrian
  • Car:Group C L34, HQ Coupe, VY II SS, VZ Storm Crewman

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

Yeah seen those sell on ebay for an absolute bloody fortune.

Yes, that's a very true statement!  :<_<:

Does anyone have the switches to suit?

#28 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

OK I finally picked up my SL/R mirrors today from rare spares today after a three month wait.

I have been assured the mirror defects have been fixed and the wait was worth it.

So ive decide to give them a review so other members can examine and comment on what they think of the current reproductions.

Here goes:

The mirrors are made in Tiawan for rare spares.

The molded casing looks to be finished very well with no plastic flash around the edges and everything is smooth and well finished.

The chrome work looks to be very good with excellent shine and no evident sand marks or machine marks under the chrome.

The fit of the chrome pivot is very good and all attaching and adjusting cap screws are stainless.

The attaching plate is zinc plated very nicely and is a good fit in the bottom of the mirror and the attaching hole placement is spot on.

The rubber seal that fits under the mounting plate is smooth with no flashed edges and looks original.

The glass is an even fit in the mirror and moves nicely for adjustment with slight pressure and moves on it axis as it should with ample adjustment.

The retractable molded head moves chunkily when forced as it should in the event of being knocked.

So without actually having them on the car I would say that these mirrors are a good reproduction and Im very happy with the overall finish fit of the components.

Here are some pics for you to look at and please comment if you spot something that is different from original or not to your liking......this will help everybody decide weather to buy these or buy second hand originals.

20140723_195118.jpg

20140723_195455.jpg

20140723_195510.jpg

20140723_195532.jpg

20140723_195657.jpg

20140723_195705.jpg

20140723_195731.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

Al

#29 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hi Al

Do they come with a little plastic plug, that plug into the top hex key as original.

Thanks Victor

#30 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

No they don't Victor

#31 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

They look alright to me Al .....thanks for the good feed back

#32 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

Do they come with the black gasket

#33 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yes Gene.

#34 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Yes they do look good. Only asked as I've lost the driver side one.

#35 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

Looks good.

Would be great to see these and originals side by side to compare shape.

#36 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Yes they do look good. Only asked as I've lost the driver side one.

Pretty sure Mick Torana RPA sells that bit.

#37 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Kingswood Country sell them to victor $10

#38 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Thanks ICE.

I'll put sum pictures of genuine ones off my car on the way home tonight, to compare shape and finish.

Victor

#39 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hi Al

Do they come with a little plastic plug, that plug into the top hex key as original.

Thanks Victor

Hi Victor, no they dont come with the little black plug........they do come with the black base gasket which is pretty good as well.......and also they dont come with the attaching strip (hole bungs) or screws.

I had trouble finding the attaching strip as rares is long term out of stock and so is kingswood country but managed to find a pair at Spares City in Melbourne...they have a few sets left......received mine today via post and the strips look to be very good.

20140801_193709.jpg

#40 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

sorry no pictures phone craped it self.

On the wifes, can't see what i'm doing.

Hopefully get it back in two weeks.

Victor

#41 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

The above picture is of the nutsert and screws that where used as a fix by Holden when the original holes were stripped.

If you are drilling new holes in your doors, I would suggest that you don't use these as they are never as good as the original way to mount the mirror pad.

Also, you will find that the screw head in the above kits are too big for the mirror pad.

Hope this helps...

cheers

Mick

Edited by sstorana, 02 August 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#42 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hi All,

the above mounting kit was only used by Holden as a fix for when the original holes were stripped.

If you are drilling new holes to attach the mirror, I would suggest not using these as the original way is better.

Also, the screw heads in the above kit are too large for use with the mounting pad.

hope this helps.

cheers

Mick

#43 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

Hi All,

the above mounting kit was only used by Holden as a fix for when the original holes were stripped.

If you are drilling new holes to attach the mirror, I would suggest not using these as the original way is better.

Also, the screw heads in the above kit are too large for use with the mounting pad.

hope this helps.

cheers

Mick

Mmmm dont quite understand what you mean by (as a fix for when original holes were stripped) how were they mounted originally. Please tell us

On page 442 of the Lh Parts Catalogue it clearly shows this attachment strip as standard fitment on the standard type mirrors. Were sports mirrors different?

Now the problem is the sports mirrors have different mounting points...correct or not....my original SLR front door  has 2 perfectly stamped holes ( dont look to be redrilled at any stage) to take the sports mirror and the new locking tab fits perfectly and the black rubber gasket also has a recess molded into the base to allow clearance for the plastic lock tab.

Go figure!!!

Ill wait for your answer about how they where originally fitted...then Ill investigate what I have here.

Cheers

Al

#44 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hi Al

let me try and explain...

the part in question is ; "Nut, bracket to door - Twin; 2820823"

It is mentioned in the LH manual as part of the Standard Exterior Door Mirrors.

It is mentioned in the LX and UC manuals as part of the Standard Exterior Door Mirrors. It is not mentioned as part of the Aerodynamic (SL/R Type) Door Mirror.

In the HX Parts Catalogue, it states that the part is "For Emergency Use". ie, when the holes are stripped...

As part of the SL/R type, in the LX and UC Catalogues, it lists a: "Nutsert; SP2347" And as part of the comments in the UC catalogue is say, "Use when holes stripped"

Just to muddy the waters...  in the HX and HZ Catalogues, the Nut - Twin is mentioned as part of the SL/R type mirrors....

cheers

Mick

Edited by sstorana, 03 August 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#45 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hi Al

let me try and explain...

the part in question is ; "Nut, bracket to door - Twin; 2820823"

It is mentioned in the LH manual as part of the Standard Exterior Door Mirrors.

It is mentioned in the LX and UC manuals as part of the Standard Exterior Door Mirrors. It is not mentioned as part of the Aerodynamic (SL/R Type) Door Mirror.

In the HX Parts Catalogue, it states that the part is "For Emergency Use". ie, when the holes are stripped...

As part of the SL/R type, in the LX and UC Catalogues, it lists a: "Nutsert; SP2347" And as part of the comments in the UC catalogue is say, "Use when holes stripped"

Just to muddy the waters...  in the HX and HZ Catalogues, the Nut - Twin is mentioned as part of the SL/R type mirrors....

cheers

Mick

Ok thanks Mick....Both my left and right doors have 6mm holes in them.....So i guess I could use the twin nutserts that I just bought as they are a nice tight fit in the holes and they fit perfectly plus the black sealing rubber has a molded strip in the back for clearance.

I will check out the LX parts manual and have a look at the original type nutsert cause as you said it may be a stronger way to attach the mirrors.....I can live with paying a few dollars for the twin set, I'll just keep them spare  :mellow:

Also you were right about the screws......the head is way to big to fit the backing plate and the screws that came with the twin nutserts don't go through the holes in the backing plate.......so if I used a smaller screw there would be way less bite on the nutsert so Im thinking of drilling the backing plates to take a larger screw plus I will be using stainless instead of zinc coated.

Thanks Mate

Al

#46 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Here's sum pictures of genuine mirror & a close up of the plastic bit I was referring to.

Victor

Attached Files

#47 _GTR_069_

_GTR_069_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Bit of a left field question can we remove the chrome arm off the mirror we have genuine original ones, but drivers side chrome is pitting and on fresh shiny black paint we wont them perfect

#48 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:14 AM

The first I bumped, as I have bumped the factory ones many times. The plastic case broke where it mounts to the metal stalk. When the plastic case is broken like this I could see how thin the moulding is in this area - way too thin IMO.

The same happened to me, contacted Rares and they replaced it pronto.

Replacement is still holding strong, no issues here.

:spoton:

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 20 September 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#49 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

Shame to hear it happened to you. Bet they didn't replace the 2pac, the sanding, the primer, the time to remove and replace....

#50 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

I am trying to work out where is the correct spot to fit the GTS style mirrors onto a LH torana and don't say "the door"
Dose anyone have pics / measurements that explain the correct spot
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users