Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hey guys
Just wondering if anyone has done LS1/LS2 conversion with 5 speed auto in a HQ/WB?
What sump they used? Custom sump or Corvette rear sump? Moroso?
What exhaust used?
What engine mounts used?? Tuff mounts?
Factory computer?

Thanks
Bart

#2 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Hey Bart, what transmission are you referring to? The only 5 speed auto offered by Holden was coupled to a V6 and therefore unsuitable for this conversion.

If you want to use an electronic auto such as a 6L80-E (which is a 6 speed) you must also retain the factory fly-by-wire throttle body, accelerator pedal, shifter assembly and ECU to ensure that it shifts correctly and consistently.

A L98 6.0L and 6L80-E out of a early VE would be great for this conversion in my opinion.

#3 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

I was under the impression that you could do this fairly easly as there were extractors engine mounts and all the other stuff off the shelf to do it

#4 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

WA1TNC, Nig has one in his WB ute. I think he is manual though. Think he may of even had a build thread on it.

#5 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

CAE make header and engine mount that work together. Much better than the Torana setup. I know a person who has done this conversion and used the camaro sump with no issues.. I'll pm you a person who has done this conversion so he doesn't get smashed with enquires. 

#6 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

Attached File  P8100238.jpg   285.1K   6 downloads

Attached File  P8100239.jpg   167.39K   4 downloads

Attached File  P8100240.jpg   163.87K   3 downloads

Attached File  P8100241.jpg   251.69K   3 downloads

#7 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Thanks guys, yeah I did read some guys are using F Body Camaro sump, I think are early 2000 Camaros before the Monaro style GTO thingys
I know a guy who has an LS2 in an HX with turbo but he used a GMC truck sump but it hangs a bit too low and Tuff mounts.
So there seems to be a couple of combinations out there with sump and mounts I just need the right combo that works off the bat.
I thought 5 speed autos would be ok even a T700 4 speed would be better than a 3 speed T 400 in terms of RPM/efficiency
Also should mention I didn't want to spend big on this project as I want it to be a reliable daily drive not drag or anything like that

Edited by Bart, 21 June 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

As mentioned the 5 speed auto was only used on V6 alloytechs

So adapting it to a Gen3 might be a task

#9 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Also have a look at "Old school one tonner (race car)" thread. It was built at a school and seems to go quite we'll.
You may find some answers there too

#10 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

No worries I wont go 5 speed.

#11 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

Spoke to the bloke at Speeds in Canberra, he has done the conversion in his HZ and recommends the Camaro sump.
Very helpful so give them a call if you do this conversion in HQ/WB
I will do more research on the conversion in terms of cost and difficulty as I don't want to be bogged down on this project as I have other car stuff happening. If I go ahead with this I will buy the sump off this bloke at Speeds, he's won me over :)

http://www.speedspar...N_3_p/ls1hq.htm

#12 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Just a note

Camaro sump requires higher engine mounts which can change the drive line angle.

If you want close to factory angle use tuff mounts and tuff sump. They're on ebay also

http://velocityauto....ute=common/home

#13 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hey Bart be sure to post up some pics once you start the conversion. I love WB Statos!

#14 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

No worries mate. Will do

Hey Bart be sure to post up some pics once you start the conversion. I love WB Statos!

#15 _monman71_

_monman71_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

I have the doner car, will be looking at doing this soon to the Monaro, just gathering parts together for now, have you looked into keeping the air conditioning at all?

#16 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Definitely want to keep the aircon
Love Monaros
How much are donor cars?

I have the doner car, will be looking at doing this soon to the Monaro, just gathering parts together for now, have you looked into keeping the air conditioning at all?

Edited by Bart, 28 June 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#17 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Early model statemans or 5.7 vt-vx are advertised in 4-5k margin with rego,that's carsales,ebay cars in caryards.

Private sale or damaged at auctions be even cheaper,bloke at work privately bought a sideswiped vx m6 hyper yellow ss with leather for 1800.

Edited by gtrboyy, 28 June 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#18 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

Pickles auction here I come
Thanks mate

Early model statemans or 5.7 vt-vx are advertised in 4-5k margin with rego,that's carsales,ebay cars in caryards.

Private sale or damaged at auctions be even cheaper,bloke at work privately bought a sideswiped vx m6 hyper yellow ss with leather for 1800.

#19 _monman71_

_monman71_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Definitely want to keep the aircon
Love Monaros
How much are donor cars?

I was very lucky, bought a vt Calais LS1 auto unreg, off the first owner for $600, it has a under warranty engine from holden replaced at 80k ,so it's only done 140k, been told from club members it easily a $3000 car.

#20 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

That's the luck I need

I was very lucky, bought a vt Calais LS1 auto unreg, off the first owner for $600, it has a under warranty engine from holden replaced at 80k ,so it's only done 140k, been told from club members it easily a $3000 car.

#21 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Just thinking of auto gearboxes.
The Commodore over the years seems to have gone through a few different versions. I have a bad feeling the "Newer" style auto transmission may be very expensive to service or repair.
So could I use a TH700 which is a 4 speed which is a good number of gears and said to be strong enough for LS1. Just wondering if LS1 came with these gear boxs. (VT models?) I don't want to run into difficulty by mixing transmission (Buying engine separate from a VE and try to use VT box) and finding the engine computer doesn't run the transmission.
Any ideas, experiences?
Maybe I could use a non computer VN box with VT, VZ, VE engine??
Thanks

Edited by Bart, 29 June 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#22 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

Th700 as you know it is basically if not same thing 4l60 auto found behind vt-vy ls1's

vz got slightly stronger 4l65

ve got the 4l80 (basically 4spd th400)

General opinion is keep whatever engine/pcm & auto or manual matching set to save yourself from major headaches.

So if you get vt-x ls1/pcm & auto keep it that way.

If you want to go manual or even th400 etc then stick with manual pcm & harness.

If you're on facebook or want decent a squiz as to what's involved on electrical check out www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

#23 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

Also have a look at "Old school one tonner (race car)" thread. It was built at a school and seems to go quite we'll.
You may find some answers there too

Yeah we used a camaro sump bought from Summit. But we measured and made our own solid mounts so not helpful for your application.

Id recommend a simple 4l60e. If its a daily and reliability they work well enough. If you plan a cam or anything then it may need work if it will cop abuse but iv seem 500rwhp go through them on a well built box and its held up nicely after hundreds of passes at the drags.

And of course the benefit of that is overdrive which acts like a 5th gear anyway.

Id say keep it simple with matching driveline and use the standard ecu. We got the race car up and running on standard computer and bcm before moving to a sponsors independant computer and dash. We had a slight issue with the immobiliser in the key but the auto eleccy sorted it out.

Another thing is aftermarket headers are available off the shelf. We got a set of pacemakers sitting in there quite easily.

#24 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

Th700 as you know it is basically if not same thing 4l60 auto found behind vt-vy ls1's

vz got slightly stronger 4l65

ve got the 4l80 (basically 4spd th400)

General opinion is keep whatever engine/pcm & auto or manual matching set to save yourself from major headaches.

So if you get vt-x ls1/pcm & auto keep it that way.

If you want to go manual or even th400 etc then stick with manual pcm & harness.

If you're on facebook or want decent a squiz as to what's involved on electrical check out www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au

VE got 6L80E not 4L80E. The only Holden sold/assembled/badged vehicles with a 4L80E were the Suburbans and the GMC Ambulances.

#25 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Basically dont try to mix and match and risk headaches

Edited by Bart, 30 June 2014 - 09:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users