_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

What revs are you pulling Grant ?

#702 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

Chris - really only pulling on the 6800 mark plus - shifting worst case 7200 ish. on a few corners at EC.

massively pissed i missed the weekend torana race - actually missed all the racing

not happy jan - frOck shit box 6  NO 1 OR 6 rod 

#703 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

https://www.ebay.com...NEAAOSwySlZ8Wlk

Preety good rod from what I hear. Better than Starfire and half the cost of a set of Argos.

#704 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

pete, long story will keep short. old school friend of mine came over last night and he does a HEAP of business in china with metal manufacturing parts etc. Was talking to him about the cranks and the cost here is OZ. he has a lady over there that works for him and were going to start having a chat on a few things - aus crank have a billet. But crank design really dosen't affect a spun bearing - OR does it could the harmonic balance of the cast crank be an issue, I think that next motor I'll run on a hour meter timer and pull out and flip upside down and replace the bearings with a new set and put back in. bearing are a lot cheaper

#705 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

I hear where you are coming from and what I'm about to put may be worth while thinking about.

Now you are a smart cookie. Running things like AFR meters etc. Have you thought about setting up some Vibration analysis on an engine.

We used to do a lot of strip down and checking of reciprocating parts on a lot of machinery when I was in the RAN until someone decided that on things like Turbo Alternators, Feed pumps and even small diesels would benefit from VA. So after a rebuild thee particular piece of machinery would be subject to a base line VA check  and then over the next maintenance cycle the new readings would be overlaid over the initial data.

Saved a lot of time and and tear down costs.

The other thing you could do is what I did early on with my engine which was doing Oil Contamination tests. Not just look at the oil bt take a sample and send it to a laboratory and get a quick analysis done on it I think it cost about $40-60 for each test. That's a while ago now but it  did pick up bearing contamination before the silver bits became visible.

#706 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

That's a real bummer Grant, I know the feeling. That's why at Bathurst early this year I did an all nighter I wasn't going to let a spun bearing ruin my weekend of racing. I'm still not a 100% why it happened. I think I may have had a over rev going into Griffins bend on a downshift ? Anyway I hope you get it sorted soon and have a crack again next year at Easter.

#707 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

A spun bearing usually happens because of lack of lubrication. eg. Pick up sucking air due to hard cornering, braking, acceleration etc., sump is empty because oil is in the rocker cover due to high volume oil pump or high sustained revs(long straight) & oil unable to drain back fast enough. I think that your parts were Ok, oil supply problem is where I would be looking.

#708 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:56 PM

Pete - I think that i'm going to put the hour meter on the car from here on in and this will give me a better idea of actual " full noise " engine time - i have one from my old bike racing days. 

Waz - agree on this and had some thoughts, the last time the engine ran was bathurst prior to the crash. I'm not the first and not the last. A group NC racer has the adaptors made up the ATI balancers as well which fit straight in and looking into this purchase at the moment.

Next weekend the family is away and I'm going to start pulling down the engine bay parts ready for the extraction. ARGO has spare rods in stock so this is a bonus.

hopefully the piston and the rest of the parts are OK 

I have a spare knife edge crank ready to go which is good. Should be a small rebuild and then back in. The sump needs a repair as well.

Another aside;

today bought a black motor - standard bore from Western sydney and the bloke gave me a friend of his card - it's the Brumby FJ ute bloke if i needed some help with engines.

#709 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:54 AM

Jeff Ramsay(Brumby) has been around the odd Holden 6.

#710 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

I don't think it could hurt for a chat warren.

Can anyone tell me why it's either No 1 or N0 6 that shit's it'self .  

#711 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:24 PM

They are the devil's numbers :ph34r:

#712 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:41 PM

End of the line for lubrication?

#713 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

One or both. I've seen photos of external oil lines run to the front an rear of the oil gallery.
On my old HD drive I have a photo of a block with additional lines inside the sump feeding oil Ito the front an rear main journal bearing cap. When I can get someone to recover the data I will be able to get the photo for you.

#714 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:30 PM

Pete - I have seen this as well and a friend just blew one up with this set up  - I have a good sump ASR - maybe it's just the retarded son as old johonno says  in his post 

there retarded but we love then anyway - 

I have the V8 LH but i still want to race the retarded son as it's a far better  car to drive on the track

the quest continues - 1 more mll

aside on this;

the big wayne northey has reached the 12 month clear mark.  hands up bro - I was trying to kill u on the lakes entrance inlet to bonag trip 

https://www.google.c...1!4d148.6825219

There was not much left on the table on that home trip though there

]

warren = oil is the key.on this - i bought the best sump  i was advised on 

Edited by Agent 34, 08 December 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#715 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:01 PM

If you use the ATI balancer you may have to cut the old timing mark thingey off and weld a piece in the timing cover. I had to.

regards 

#716 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

Correct,you'll have to cut the timing mark off, to clear the damper.

Attached File  P1010850 (600 x 450).jpg   59.1K   2 downloads

Attached File  P1010885 (600 x 450).jpg   60.34K   2 downloads

#717 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

update #

malcolm turnbull is loosing votes, but he will still beat the weezel in an election - god help Australia !!

mmm back to all things torana, which is a bit more on the bright side.

The motor is apart and found that it spun big end ( no surprise here ) the rod is cactus, the crank is bent, No1 journal is damaged and will grind down and be 10 under.

so it's 10 off the crank , 20 off the mains. 

New rod to replace the dead one, quick hone back for a balance, new ARP rod bolts 

give the head a quick service 

and back together.

one thing that was interesting was that the front seal had become loose, when we looked at all the bearings they got progressively worse as they when back from No 1. But were really still quiet OK apart from no 1.

We are trying to see if the accident may have had anything to do with the crank but buggered if we cannot find connection between - the front seal coming loose - No1 rod big end - bent crank 

the Engine mount was pretty badly bent as well and i didn't notice this but when the motor was taken out you can see that it was about 15mm down and across from the smash - it's  fixed now.

Looking for a set of front disc hubs if anyone knows of some, one of mine where the press studs have been put in has worked loose and need to replace at least one side.

have heard that the HG /HK are the same disc hubs as the LJ torana - so if you have some give me PM or 0401816661 as i want to sort this out while the car is sort of apart and i need to change the brake pads and rotors over.

#718 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

Started to build my foam filled race tank  holder today, did some cutting of an old standard tank - got most of the cutting and fitting done - next weekend will be welding patches into the tank. sitting the fuel cell into the standard tank to keep a soft of original look.,

no photos yet - good to get back to making things.

engine will be ready in two weeks to put back in.

Fixed up the shifter, brazed the parts and shimmed back up.

G

#719 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:36 PM

Hi Grant,
Will you and the car be ready for the retro speedfest in June at smp. I assume that it's on again this year.

#720 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:03 AM

1 more mm

#721 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

another mill - Rodo its all starting to move a bit slow unless there is alcohol involved 

Moved a bit more on operation race tank AKA the peter brock , Harry Firth and Colin Bond V8 prototype tank . Found some old photos from the 1973 race and " xrayed" the photos to find out the make up of the tank.

Shaped up the rear  tank extension and fitted the rails to the " V 8 bathurst tank "  only need to do two side patches  tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned as i will be GAS welding the tank up tomorrow.- just need to find some coat hangers for wire 

James - Aiming to attend the QLD meeting Warwick in July - Which should give me heaps of time to do some little things.

Going to run the FOSC meeting next month @ SMP in the LH 

#722 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:17 PM

Finished the tank yesterday so will post some photos up once fully complete - turned out a lot better that i expected.

Next job;

Install the new tank into boot and plumb up with braided fuel lines. need to sort out the sender and see if i can put this into the dash.

https://www.ebay.com...bpa3HPY&vxp=mtr

#723 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

Pete - I have seen this as well and a friend just blew one up with this set up  - I have a good sump ASR - maybe it's just the retarded son as old johonno says  in his post 

there retarded but we love then anyway - 

I have the V8 LH but i still want to race the retarded son as it's a far better  car to drive on the track

the quest continues - 1 more mll

aside on this;

the big wayne northey has reached the 12 month clear mark.  hands up bro - I was trying to kill u on the lakes entrance inlet to bonag trip 

https://www.google.c...1!4d148.6825219

There was not much left on the table on that home trip though there

]

It was one hell of a drive Grant...

warren = oil is the key.on this - i bought the best sump  i was advised on 

#724 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

Update # 

Well we were really trying  to find out what caused the N01 big end to give way and the bearings for the rest of the set were fine although there was a progressive deteriation of the shells but after No2 they seems to come good.

The failure of the N01 seemed to be un related to an oil issue as if it was oil it would have been more pronounced on the other bearings.

We asked the balancer to pay special attention to the harmonic balancer and and crank to see if there was an issue the HB. What they found was that the " snout of the crank" was bent - this is the area under the front straight cut gear.

The crash has somehow via enertia eg FencKen heavy balancer at the moment of final impact has forced the front across some how. I assume that the crank was very hot 90 degrees C and maybe this was also part of issue. But it got bent and the only way was the crash.

This then put the harmonics from the straight cut gears into the cam, but more importantly would have stated the vibrations at the start of the motor up front and this would seem to explain the issues of the failed rod to some degree. Also the front seal had become loose as well and oil was pissing out.

So pretty glad that we found the issue and it's being - metal sprayed and then ground back to square at the correct size - new keyway cut 

another lesson . 

Anyway the motor will be back together and will run at Muscle car masters - stay tunned 

G

#725 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

never stop learnin Grant...good stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic