#726 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

I rebuilt a Mits Express van motor in chassis once that had blown a head gasket.

It was high K's and had sat for a few days and the bore had started to rust on head removal.

Hone, new rings and bearings at the owners budget.

Put it back together and it ran fine but within a couple of weeks it landed back at the workshop with a knock.

Same thing, the front of the crank was twisted.

We removed the engine this time to discover the reason and was told by the engine bloke about the twisted crank.

Further discussion with the owner revealed that it had been hard to start and he had been roll stating it.

Consequently it came to fore that the roll starting with water on the piston (hydraulic lock) had twisted the crank.

After repairs we left the vehicle outside on a Friday at the start of a long weekend and by verbal agreement the owner had agreed to settle his account after the weekend.

I won't say that the guy was an on-site Vet (big bux). Nor will I say that he never returned my calls. Or his marriage failed. Or that he died of cancer at a young age.................Cos that wouldn't be fair.

#727 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

Interesting day tomorrow it will be the first time i put an engine together at the engine builders. We have the crank back now and everything else is done and putting it all together tomorrow .

I'm sure by the end of the day  he will be sick of me asking questions.  It will be awesome to do this and really looking forward to the day. 

#728 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Gaining good experience there Grant...only prob. is now you wont rev it as hard as you have some love, sweat and tears  in there.....lol

#729 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:18 PM

Even still Col, I don't think Grant has any mechanical sympathy lol

#730 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

Should i come over and supervise the shenanigans  :P

#731 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

Even still Col, I don't think Grant has any mechanical sympathy lol

Brock won races with mechanical sympathy.

#732 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

mmm your all right, i really don't have any sympathy, last year was a tough year and had to put away working on the car and walk away.

that smash did a heap of damage to all areas of the car and far out has the list been extensive and to bust an engine was the last straw, but when i line up at muscle car masters with a bashed out passengers side rear wheel arch that's not painted and a fresh motor " fingers crossed " it will be all worth it but an expensive costly exercise.

update # sucked in Bill shorten for calling the citizen  test  " WTF" was he thinking knowing that some of his party would go down as well !!!

the engine is finished and ready to pick up, was an awesome day putting it back together and working through this with someone with heaps of experience learnt a heap on this about clearances and the small stuff and whats not really important and what is important.

new brake disc on saturday 

new front brake pads 

weld up broken passenger side engine mount with new plate from crash 

engine sunday + gear box etc 

hopefull start sunday night 

fit new fuel cell which is being made 

dyno run in tuesday night for engine 

then  a list of 100 1 minute jobs to do 

#733 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:19 PM

no one can say you dont try 100%. you will be an expert at this rate. But geez cars can test one's patience.

Been fiddling with son's GTS project again...100mm forward..55 back. lol

#734 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

Make that a month of five minute jobs Grant....

#735 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

Motor in and running good oil pressure straight up. brakes done. pretty stoked 

were back in the game big bopper 

no issues so all good.

:D  :D  :D

#736 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Glad to hear that you are forging ahead.

#737 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Hey pete, just got back from the dyno and the motor has even more HP that the first time i had it there so not sure what was happening the first time.

but all tucked away now and a few things to do for Muscle car masters - fingers crossed.

next week;

change oil 

cut filter 

book car trailer 

go racing again 

bring back one piece 

#738 _Thomastorana_

_Thomastorana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

Nice one Grant, will see you there.

#739 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

did a few things tonight prior to the footy.

sorted out the fuel tank breather 

got the tail lights working again and also the front head lights.

two things to do;

bent lock tabs over on uni's 

put stone tray on 

Chris, will just be going out and seeing how things go for the weekend really and just want to end up at home with the car able to be driven up the driveway and a smile.

#740 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

Good luck Grant, you deserve some. 

#741 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

So Grant seems to have had a fairly good weekend going by the natsoft results.

4 starts and 4 finishes. Getting quicker. In the last race today he was midfield and was first Torana Home.

he's got to be pleased with that.

#742 Ozchuck

Ozchuck

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Name:Chuck
  • Car:Not enough !!

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:39 PM

Ran into to Grant out at the races yesterday. Nice fella. Happy to answer some questions I had about his car. 

Just looking for a few tips here and there to improve mine and he was happy to oblige. Thanks Grant. 

#743 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,536 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:50 AM

So Grant seems to have had a fairly good weekend going by the natsoft results.

4 starts and 4 finishes. Getting quicker. In the last race today he was midfield and was first Torana Home.

he's got to be pleased with that.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#744 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:22 PM

Yes, well the plan was to run the engine in, look for issues and get comfy with the car again , make sure it's all ok and then take home. So the plan when well.

All the starts barr 1 I jammed the shifter so that was pretty disappointing and the last race, took the 2nd to 3rd a bit slower and went forward rather than backwards through the starting pack. Have decided to replace the shifter and will get the mods underway for this over the weekend and then replace. I cannot race with that shifter anymore.

Well the motor was going pretty hard and didn't miss a beat, James D came out and we talked jetting and went over a few things and James is getting some new emulsion tubes from the states off his mate. 

I seemed to developed a " catch can " issue where by the two inlets from the rocker cover are converging at opposite and adjacent sides to the outlet breather and this is causing the oil to be blown out the outlet tube. I ran a secondary bottle and this must have been catching this and didn't really notice any excess oil out the final breather. Having said this had a beer and looked at the plumbing last night and think that i have  a solution and will but some new fittings and re route the rocker cover pipes. - i will start with this and see if it fixes it, if it doesn't then  I'll do another mod under the rocker cover and weld a 4-6mm ring on the inside which should shroud the outlets from the rocker cover and stop the oil climbing the rocker cover and entering the inlet to the vent. 

I have also decided to increase the sump vent pipe from 12mm to 20mm to allow the sump vent to have enough volume to allow the air and oil to move and not create hydraulic lock where by the draining oil from the can as it try's to go back to the sump is met with the upward forces of the windage from the sump - I'll do this anyway. The sump relief really needs to be on the " downward " crank through which is the exhaust side.

The above was not an issue it just look bad straight after the race with oil dripping off the back of the stone tray, not good to have oil coming out of the front of the car as it's dangerous anyway and needs to be fixed.

The car had to be scrutineered and based on having a few issues the last two times out needed to be cleared, the CAMS bloke gave he heaps and have to work on a few issues for the next event.

Ran the new brake pads and was happy with the feel and tension, no brake warp issues and this was excellent to finish the weekend without warped rotors.

All round was a pretty good weekend and was happy to put the car on the trailer and go home, ran a PB on toyo Proxy tyres 1.518 which i was pretty stoked with, the fastest torana or 2 was running 1.47 something so about 4 seconds off the pace which is F all. 

things to do before Warwick;

adjust brake pedal position 

re route the catch can plumbing 

spanner check 

repace smaller water pulley with larger alloy one 

replace gear shifter and adjust 

replace head light 

fix tail lights 

sort out the external kill switch lever 

plastic the headlights  

good to catch up with people and have a chat about torana stuff and help out, 

#745 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Looks like you may be ""over the hump"" Grant...good work!

#746 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:50 PM

What shifter are you using? If old holden maybe get a new one. If new Have a look for a speco twin shifter. 1 gear stick for 4 gears and a seperate one for reverse.

Always did have problems with jambing between gears just ask Sir Jack.

#747 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:48 PM

I had one of those shifters, it was pretty good, long time ago now. i was going to use a 3 speed Speco and make up my own little seperate reverse shifter and then I found that they already made them.

Regards

#748 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:53 AM

When I got my first LC it was just a 3 speed.

The gear stick broke on me the first week I got my license and was driving home from work.

NRMA took me to a garage and they welded it up for me.

Great service from the NRMA dude and the garage.

Something that you would be doubtful to get these days.

Anyway the stick was a little out of place and hit the steering wheel getting it into 1st depending on the position of the wheel.

So being a typical boy racer with limited funds, I decided I wanted a floor shift.

Mate had an aftermarket H pattern shifter.

Put it in.

Adjusted it.

And adjusted it.

And adjusted it.

Kept jamming between 1st and 2nd.

Carried a bar beside the seat to fix it.

Got pretty quick at it in the end.

In the meantime another friend had a pogo stick shifter.

Got it off him.

Cleaned it up.

Fitted and adjusted it.

No more jamming between gears.

H pattern ended up in the bin.

Dont know if it was too worn or what, but it just wouldnt play the game with me.

Ended up fitting the pogo stick to the 4 speed I fitted at a later date.

Was a great shifter. Never had a single drama with it and it was quick and easy to change gears.

#749 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:19 PM

Dunno what it's worth cos it hasn't been tried and tested yet but...…………….

Ol' mate came around with a couple of shifters the other week to make 1 out of 2

1 was obviously early as it was shim adjusted, I have another one like this in pieces. This was broken in the lower part....(as they do)

2 was a later shifter with "wave washers" between the shift plates.

These wave washers measure at .035" (nearly a millimeter)…………..where have I heard that phrase before????

Makes no sense? With the naked eyeball, I could not see a difference between the early and the later shifter with regards to the angle of the shift plates?

I can only guess that these wave washers were added to later shifters as I know that the early shifters were known to rattle and that is also why the rubber bush was introduced 1/2 way up the shifter.

What he has ended up with is mainly the later shifter components with no wave washers, shim adjusted, solid gear stick (no bush) and a repair as mentioned earlier (with regard to the "lower part") that is tighter and stronger than factory.

#750 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:05 AM

I took a bit of a risk and got one of those Mr Gaskit V gate shifters for my M-21 aussie box. There is no way i would go back to a H pattern. The only bad thing is it takes a bit of practise to shift back from third to second and you may end up with a blister on your fingers if in a race car. bloody fast up shifts.

regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users