warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:02 AM

You don't want a "V Gate" shifter for circuit racing, they're designed for drag racing.

#753 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:46 PM

Yep that's it. In a circuit car your up shifts will be like lightening and so will be your downshifts, but the down shift from 3rd to 2nd not so good. Not so bad in a road car, but i think your fingers would ache, as you have to pull up fairly hard on the trigger, with so many of those 3rd to 2nd down shifts. As Warrenm, not really for the circuit, but then and again if you can get used to that not so good down shift i don't think you find anything that will work better. There was a sequential style shifter for the Aussie some years ago. There was an article in Street Machine magazine .

regards

#754 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

The pogo stick shifter I had didnt have a lever.

The shifter worked on 2 levels. Once yo worked that out and got used to the mechanics of it, shifting wasnt a problem.

Wasnt really much different to working against the spring on a H pattern, but the pressure required was vertical not horizontal.

1st and 2nd operated on the lower level, 3rd and 4th on the upper.

So a change from 3rd to 2nd just required a bit of downward pressure on the shifter, and no dramas.

Keep the downward pressure on when going back to 1st as well otherwise you could easily enough get 3rd.

Once you got used to it, the shifts were still quicker than the H pattern.

#755 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:58 AM

I think I saw one of those for sale, a long time ago now. It had long sliding mechanisms i think. My V gate is the opposite 1st and 2nd on the top and 3rd and 4th on the bottom. 

Regards 

#756 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

The pogo stick shifter I had didnt have a lever.

The shifter worked on 2 levels. Once yo worked that out and got used to the mechanics of it, shifting wasnt a problem.

Wasnt really much different to working against the spring on a H pattern, but the pressure required was vertical not horizontal.

1st and 2nd operated on the lower level, 3rd and 4th on the upper.

So a change from 3rd to 2nd just required a bit of downward pressure on the shifter, and no dramas.

Keep the downward pressure on when going back to 1st as well otherwise you could easily enough get 3rd.

Once you got used to it, the shifts were still quicker than the H pattern.

The "Pogo Stick" you refer to wasn't an Impala shifter was it?

#757 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:01 AM

May well have been an Impala.

Name rings a bell thats for sure.

40 years is along time to remember things

#758 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:47 PM

Just be careful if you decide to go for a rengate sequential shifter or the Vgate. They are not legal for Group N and there are problems. They can smash Synchros. The shif can be too quick fot the synchros.

#759 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

I have a plan happening now with shifter and rectification.

on another note, cut the oil filter and there seems to be a few items in there and will talk to the engine builder. it's not bearing  material but it's like small swaf ferrous material  heat effected material. It has a straw colour and picks up with the magnet.

FYI - never buy an oil filter cutter - ignorance is bliss until it goes bang. three cents 

#760 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

Bloke that worked for my brother years ago had a V8 supercar VP VS or thereabouts.

They ran a huge magnet on the side of the oil filter.

Accumulated all ferrous stuff in the same place.

Theory was that some nasty bits can be small enough to get through the filter.

Seemed to act like a bit of a trap for other stuff too.

Saw a filter cut open. Some of the stuff near the magnet was close enough to liquid.

Seems like it did a good job.

#761 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

I've often thought about a magnet on the sump to draw fine metalic particles away from the pick up. I can remember on the back of a car magazine a full ad for an Impala shifter, Custom Rodder mayby or an old Street machine.

regards

#762 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:14 PM

Back in the game big bopper !!!

well got the motor back and the tell tale sign was oil loosing it's ability to be oil.

another lesson learned on looking at the cam bearings and how this told the story., the bearings were only wearing on one side being the bottom and not the top 

engine back in Saturday.

I got the speco 4 speed shiftier manufactured so as to a short shiftier .throw.

a bit more 

G

Edited by Agent 34, 13 December 2018 - 07:15 PM.

#763 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:08 AM

It's been quiet for a while now but it's good to hear that you're back on top of things.

I didn't think that you'd want a shiftier gear change. :-)

#764 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

yeah james , it's been a while but will put the motor and box back in tomorrow and other items.

there is a test / day at wakefield on the 11/1 and will see if we make it there for a shake down. you should come over for the day and i will get the Fuel meter sorted with some jetting as Tilley racing is running a private track day and you can take passengers in the car - so good day for tuning 

with a bit of time of christmas i am hoping to build a " air baffle directional super duper sort of thing " and in corporate a air flow from inside the radiator support and then direct over to a contained area near the intakes for fresh clean air 

the above is a very technical term for " I'm hoping to do a heap of shit in the event of a couple of HP" 

Order those super duper Emulsion tubes from overseas and we will do a back to back test - or i can pull the ones out of your car first and test and then buy ?

G

#765 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:02 PM

I took the angle grinder to the speco 4 speed shiftier a chopped 3inches off it.

Fixed it for you Grant

#766 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:28 AM

That sounds like a good idea with the track day. Personally I think tuning on a track or road can give better results than on a dyno because the mixture can vary depending upon the load on the engine and a dyno can put on a different load to what would be averaged out in real driving.

Have you got that AFR meter working now? Does it record rpm's as well? If so I can then analyse the data after each run and suggest any possible changes to try for the next run.

My AEM FAIL-SAFE WIDEBAND gauge is great for this sort of work, I'd highly recommend one to anyone doing their own tuning. Check out the AEM website and download the software for free and have a look at what it's capable of.

We can test the tubes and jets out of my car and I also have some others which may also be worth testing, then we can order whatever works best.

#767 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:18 PM

ROB _
__  Daam THE 6.

#768 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

ROB _
__  Daam THE 6.

ON another note i did some  race race engineering and 8888 will be taping on my the LJ engineering shed tomorrow to find out the secret 1972 bratwurst win,

ran a 2.43 in the LH last month  @ bathurst challenge which you know this car,  only a 6K rev down the shute great event 

1.5 cents

had a  chat to garry obrien as the car was vibrating  in to the chase and was not sure what was happening, Gary was looking at the car and i Asked him what i could be and he said that the bush in the rear of the munice was the issue.  

he said that john bowes car had the same problem and they did a lot of differed things.

IT was a chance meeting and a discussion, he was good with his time and advice.

I thought the clutch was falling out on the down shift ??? but it was the yoke vibrating at the box  end

#769 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

update - Liberal will be wiped out next election.!!!

i really hope they don't but F@##k me between the 

1) sugar daddy eposode 

2) i had a child with my media lady 

3) tony the blue tongue lizzard 

4) malcolm in the middle 

5) frazer anning, I have nothing but the far right

6) I keep seeing that bloody dick head " clive palmer " on bill boards everwhere - err clive what about queensland nickel- or that titanic rebuild thing you have been promising ??? 

bloody hell - pauline's looking like a shoe in 

Anyway back to the torana.

motor back in and started, good oil pressure and idling fine. 

having a hit out at wakefield on the 11.

if your racing only run the following 

royal purple 

brad penn 

joe gibbs 

the rest will not handle the pain of a 6 at full noise 

also for a race engine get a oil filter cutter and read the metal in the oil , i'ts a lot cheaper than a full blow up 

#770 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

update # its three years since david bowie died -how time flies , but thoes song remain 

here is an awesome acoustic 

back to the torana, 

all sorted and fitted the new speco shifter and gear leaver, not much else has changed on the car apart from a new set of bearings down below. no other mods.

James JLJD is comming down to tune the webbers and we need to sort out the AF meter in the morning,

finally got the go pro sorted so hopefully tomorrow there will be some footage @ full noise.

looking forward to driving the little beast again and cannot wait for a few quick laps 

fingers cross when we cut the oil filter this time it's all good inside <<

a bit more 

G

adventure before dementia 

#771 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

Fingers crossed all goes well....

#772 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:44 PM

It seems my ability to outbreak the mini at wakefield only resulted in breaking a few more parts and they were;

lower control arm - which i have fixed and straightened 

upper control arm UC - which sort of cannot be fixed so need another one and any help assistance to get one would be appreciated

It looked liked it had a bigger curve in the frame and a few measurements have confirmed this today after putting all the front end back together 

Was racing next weekend at eastern creek , but that seems to be off unless a miracle happens and a upper arm is available - AND a very few late nights 

It was booked in for a wheel alignment on Wednesday and thought that the issue was the lower only but when all back together the front end looked like a 1/2 siamese cat with only one eye wonky 

anyway and help sourcing a new upper control arm would be appreciated and give me a call 0401816661 .

should you have an arm or set of UC arms, I reassure you they will be going to a good home in keeping the little rocket going  

#773 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

Hi Grant, an old mate gave me a UCA the other day. I'll post a pic if you like.
....opps, just realised you want a UC type
Mine are LC / LJ

Edited by RallyRed, 02 June 2019 - 05:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users