Direct comparison, Rare Spares vs Betta Auto Rubber quarter vent seals.

Rare Spares Betta Auto Rubbers Quarter Vent Rubber Torana Review

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Gday guys. 

Been sitting on this for a few months now, mainly because i've been otherwise occupied and im a forgetful alcoholic bogan. But good things come to those who wait. 

Here we have a direct comparison between two quarter vent seals suit HB-LC-LJ-TA Toranas. 

As most would know i fitted a full Betta Auto Rubbers kit to my LJ a while back, and had a few complaints, one being the quarter vent seals not being up to scratch. 

I heard on the grape vine that the Rares ones were a lot better, so bit the bullet and decided to give them a go. 

Here is a direct side by side comparison, with both picks AND video haha. 

Please excuse the jumping side to side, i get forgetfull taking picks some times. 

So this is the Betta Auto product fitted. 

As you can see when first fitted and put into place properly they sit very nicely. 

DSCF1063_zpsd0327635.jpg

When you open and close it it tucks up into itself, and the closing lips sit under the glass, pullign the rest of the rubber out of alignment.

Unless you spend a while with a small screwy or similar putting it back into place it just stays all wrong and lop sided. 

DSCF1060_zps7984daea.jpg

DSCF1061_zps2e75c66b.jpg

DSCF1062_zps91160e6c.jpg

Mmmm shiny new stuff to replace my other shiny new stuff....I hate having to spend money twice but sometimes its unavoidable. 

DSCF1064_zpsb13d0647.jpg

This is the rares item beside the betta item. 

Things that are apparent to me immediately are the finish, the Betta item is a lot glossyer, whereas the Rares one is rather Dull. The rares one matches the outer window seals and rear quarter window rubbers better as far as this goes. The Betta one is glossyer than the rest, making it kinda stick out and look a bit out of place. 

DSCF1066_zpsde11f807.jpg

Few more picks of key areas of both rubbers, Betta then Rares in each case, showing the differences. The Betta item is a bit crisper, but also has a fair bit of moulding flash which needs to be trimmed off. The Rares ones are softer in the lines, and very crisply finished, no flash anywhere. 

DSCF1067_zpsd3631a8c.jpg

DSCF1068_zps351d7910.jpg

DSCF1069_zpsd503e059.jpg

DSCF1070_zpsc5213593.jpg

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Moving right along, had to post as i had hit the pick limit. 

Here are some picks of the Rares item fitted, after being opened and closed a few times. 

DSCF1075_zpse48074d4.jpg

DSCF1076_zps2953c3c5.jpg

DSCF1077_zps7acf9e51.jpg

DSCF1078_zps5cf7bcca.jpg

As you can see the rares items return back to how they should be, with a few small gaps here and there, but thats possibly just my car. 

All in all a Much better product IMO. 

And now some vids. 

https://www.youtube....lOJ-QQn&index=1

https://www.youtube....lOJ-QQn&index=2

https://www.youtube....mYHFyrAFlOJ-QQn

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 17 July 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#3 _NewsuxLX_

_NewsuxLX_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

So whats the verdict? buy a betta set and a rares set and pick and choose the best rubbers out of each bag? lol id buy anything but rares, i cant stand thier stuff although their new stuff is becoming quiet good

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

You didnt wait till i was finished :P

Rares has made an honest to god effort in the last couple of years to fix there products up. Previously they never really had such a large group of test fitters as they do now, what with these forums and the like. They have been recieving gripes and working on fixing the product. 

The quarter vent seals are a redesigned product for them, just one more thing they have fixed up in there line. They seem to be working constantly to get there gear into scratch. 

A lot of other companies are not doing this, why do they have to? Not enough market or competition to bother. For this i give rares a pretty big thumbs up, there gear may not be spot on sometimes, but atleast when they learn of a problem they are trying to rectify it. 

Cheers. 

#5 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

I fitted a rares kit,so far the only issue I have is that the boot rubber needs to be packed out a little bit,still have the door seals to fit yet,oh and them bastard window seals caused me a lot of grief,not thye interior of the shed has a tinge of blue to it lol

#6 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Good to know Bomber, looks like I'll have to replace mine AGAIN, mine have never been 100%.

Its good that they are finally getting some things right but on the other hand it shits you that you have brought their product years prior and have to buy them again.

I vouch for their  door rubbers, the new ones now are fantastic. I can have my door about 2 inches away from the door lock and it closes using my finger tips.

cheers

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Thats good to know. I have the Betta ones fitted and im happy with them. But naturally there a different design so wouldnt suit a concourse type car like yourse. 

Do you have any idea about the moulding differences i noted in the picks and vids and which is more factory? You would be one of the guys to ask i recon. 

Cheers. 

#8 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

From what  can see in the picks and vids the Rares certainly look better then the Betta ones, I would say that softness is the key.

If I get time tomorrow I'll try and get into Rares in Newy and see if they have any in stock to have a look.

cheers.

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Genuine Holden drivers door 1/4 window seal.

Sorry the pics are not as clear as I had hoped for.

P1020833_zpsd5543e14.jpg

P1020834_zps0a2667c4.jpg

P1020835_zps319be4c3.jpg

Edited by S pack, 17 July 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Seems to be sharp in the corners like the betta item?

Cheers. 

#11 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

Bomber bought a bitta rubber

but he found the rubber bodgy

so he bought a bitta better rubber

to make the bodgy rubber better.

#12 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

I wonder if they have fixed up the hq 2 door rear 1/4 window rubber moldings yet? They were in total denial about them being wrong when we restored dad's a few years back. Lhs was spot on, rhs was too narrow in the channel to sit on the 1/4 panel properly.

#13 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

No idea mate.

Possibly shoot one of the reps on here a pm?

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Seems to be sharp in the corners like the betta item?

Cheers. 

Popped into Rares Virginia today and acquired a pair of their HB, LC, LJ, TA front 1/4 vent window seals.

While I was there Tony showed me a Betta Auto Rubbers 1/4 window seal that a 'very dissatisfied Betta' customer said he could keep. Hell, the difference between the two brands is like chalk and cheese.

The Rares 1/4 window seal wins hands down for out of the bag quality and compared to an original LJ 1/4 window seal the Rares seals are close but not identical. Yet to test their fitment.

Will post up some Rares v Genuine comparison pics in the near future.

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by S pack, 18 July 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#15 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

While we are talking about the 1/4 vent windows seals ect, what are you guys using for the rubber? washers behind the mounting bolts for the pivots,i got a some fibre washers but not
overly excited,i had thought of the rubber coated shake proof washers that came on a Delco Remy solenoid kit but unsure if they wont damage the glass,i think the OD would be close to being right
Phillip

Edited by hutch, 18 July 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

As you can prolly tell in my vid im not using anything atm, havnt got that far yet, was thinking about just using o rings.

Thanks for the confirmation Dave.

#17 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for putting this up bomber.

When I did my LC in 2002 the Rares doors and window rubbers where absolute crap, might be time to finally get em right.

#18 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

do Rares update or change the part numbers when they revise an item... ??

#19 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

do Rares update or change the part numbers when they revise an item... ??

Probably not, but I suspect that's why they have the parts production date on the packaging

#20 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

I fitted a set of rares 1/4 window rubbers and they are absolutely shithouse (must be the old ones)

So you recommend rares for the 1/4 window rubbers and door rubbers also?

#21 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

As above, havnt tried the rares door rubbers, and likely wont, im happy with the Betta ones. 

The Betta ones are a different design to origional, so wont suit concourse. 

Cheers. 

#22 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

Probably not, but I suspect that's why they have the parts production date on the packaging

So... If you have some old ones laying around and they wont swap them..... Buy some new ones and do a careful swapsie before returning and getting credit for something else ?

In my opinion if the product is faulty or has been revised due to customer feedback, poor fit or bad quality....it should be some sort of recall. Perhaps not 100% swap, but maybe a 25-50% discount on the improved version ?

I am sure many people buy bits way in advance as their project takes far longer than anticipated... Why should they not be able to return the product ?

#23 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

So... If you have some old ones laying around and they wont swap them..... Buy some new ones and do a careful swapsie before returning and getting credit for something else ?

In my opinion if the product is faulty or has been revised due to customer feedback, poor fit or bad quality....it should be some sort of recall. Perhaps not 100% swap, but maybe a 25-50% discount on the improved version ?

I am sure many people buy bits way in advance as their project takes far longer than anticipated... Why should they not be able to return the product ?

LIKE,LIKE,LIKE.

:spoton:

#24 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

+2

#25 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

Skapinad

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about but if anyone has a problem with a Rare Spare product contact them 03 93036400, Not me though I am off to Thailand on the weekend.
Les

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rare Spares, Betta Auto Rubbers, Quarter Vent, Rubber, Torana, Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users