SL/R dash

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _murrayi2007_

_murrayi2007_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Hi guys i have put a SL/R dash in my LH brought it off ebay so not sure if it is a v8 or a 6 one i am having trouble getting the oil guage workink when i earth it out the guage moves but when i put it on the sender doesn't move i have put a new sender on for a guage but made no difference so i wonder if a 6 is different from a v8 and has anyone else had this problem any help is appreciated thanks.

#2 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hi Murrayi2007, the slr gauges are the same from 8 to 6 in my experience, but there is a switch behind the tachometer to select 6 or v8. Mine does, anyway.

As for the oil pressure gauge, it needs a specific sender. Are you sure you have the right one?

#3 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

I had the same problem but when I changed the sender mine worked again.

#4 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Another thing I've found with these instrument panels, not suggesting it is the cause of your problem, but an important point never the less is a poor earth. I run a separate earth lead from one of the terminals on the cluster directly onto the metal body of the dash & found that instrument lights, fuel gauge etc work much better. I believe the terminals where the main harness plugs into the instrument cluster develop minor corrosion, wear & tear etc, which inhibit good earthing. Just my opinion.

#5 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Sounds like the issue will be with the sender unit, I assume you have changed the unit from the oil light to a sender unit if not or if you have , check the unit, you really need a vdo unit and check the pressure 0-500kpa( printed on the side of the hex) as a holden six is about 300kpa so the 500 unit will be the best, and the LH LX is different from other holden oil pressure units they are dearer at around $80-100, from repco. I posted a little while ago in the electrical section how to adjust the gauges and the tacho before installing in the car

Edited by Muzzy, 02 August 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#6 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

What about if you put in high volume oil pump is it the same.

Victor

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

What about if you put in high volume oil pump is it the same.

Victor

Makes no difference, the sender unit is the same.

#8 _murrayi2007_

_murrayi2007_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thank guys i will keep checking it out and let you know how it all goes thanks again

#9 _murrayi2007_

_murrayi2007_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

LH Sl/R 3300 if it was a bad earth would the guage still move when i earth the oil guage wire on the block? I am not real good with these things

Muzzy i think thats the one o got i brought it from repco and cost $86.00 trade

#10 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

I personally don't think a earth issue is the problem you're having. The extra earth wire off the cluster direct to the body was advice I learned through issues I've had in the past with LH-LX instrument clusters. My own SL/R has a similar issue with a gauge that reads as though the engine has low pressure when I know it doesn't, even after I've fitted several different (but applicable to my car) senders including a NOS VDO unit. I put it down to a combination of the age of the car's electrics & the factory gauge itself. Personally I don't put much faith in their accuracy, especially when monitoring an engine I've spent considerable money on. There used to be an old bloke nearby to me who reconditioned old clusters like SL/R etc right down to re-colouring the dials and re-calibrating the tachos. Unfortunately he shut shop & retired, but it might pay for you to find someone like him to test the gauge itself to make sure it isn't faulty. Just my opinion.

#11 _murrayi2007_

_murrayi2007_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Ok thanks LH SLR 3300 i think i will i have had it to auto electricion he reckons the guage is ok but i am not so sure anyway i have rang repco letting them know that the sender is faulty i am waiting for a reply when i brought the sender it was out of its packaging so mabey it is a faulty sender hope they will come to the party and swap for a new one

#12 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

Was your sender for a dash with a light? Or a dash with a Gauge?

#13 _murrayi2007_

_murrayi2007_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Dash with guage Hanra

#14 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Otto Instruments at Salisbury here in Brissy do the whole test and cluster refurb.
Briefly touching the sender wire to earth should drive the gauge full scale.
You might have a high resistance or open circuit sender to cluster wire. (dk blue wire)

#15 VDO

VDO

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Name:Chris Curtis

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

Murray, make sure you didn't use thread tape on the sender where it screws into the block.

It will effectively insulate the sender. 

The sender needs to ground to the block when screwed in, this is why it will have a tapered thread, so as not to use thread tape.

#16 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

Otto Instruments at Salisbury here in Brissy do the whole test and cluster refurb.
Briefly touching the sender wire to earth should drive the gauge full scale.
You might have a high resistance or open circuit sender to cluster wire. (dk blue wire)

I wish I knew that before I sent mine to Nammiss. But very happy with the repairs they did.
Every gauge was redone including the speedo. The resistor that drops the supply voltage down to 5v had failed in mine. Everything works at rear now and the cluster looks brand new.

#17 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

It's not actually a resistor. It's a mechanical voltage regulator that uses a bi-metallic strip and the average output is approx 5v DC.

#18 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

Yeah but I'm not an electrician and resistor was better than flux capacitor. Haha thanks for clearing that up for me.

#19 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

Paul just out of curiosity, what did the refurbish of the dash cost?

#20 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

$440. Thats with the new lenses from rares. They did a great job. All gauges work a treat now. Even have a fuel guage for once

#21 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

Cheers mate.

#22 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

$440. Thats with the new lenses from rares. They did a great job. All gauges work a treat now. Even have a fuel guage for once

Otto did mine for about $480 but that includes modifying to a less troublesome electronic voltage regulator.
They repainted my needles and refurbished, checked and re calibrated all gauges.

#23 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:33 PM

Seems they are all around the same price then. I had that dine but no idea what regulator they used.

#24 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

Probably just an LM7805

#25 kingsly

kingsly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:15 PM

Probably just an LM7805

How Does one use the LM7805?

Does it need to be heatsink'd?

Ive got a dead voltage reg in my Cluster (SLR) and need to replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users