Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:24 AM

ta guys and YEP...it was hot....40 degrees ,
I left at lunchtime,...no need to punish the old thing.....and that's before we talk about the car...ha ha

#52 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

Well We got there.

col - rally red and Crag A have installed their harrop 29 spline tru trac and new billet axles.and flogged the begeezes out of them and no issues.

jason gtr 4/69 next.

all up we got 11 people. 

#53 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

Guys,

I have one set of 28 spline axles to suit a Lx/Lh standard GMH diff left. There was a machining error and one set of axles were not drilled to HQ studs.

I can also have these axles modified ( shortened) and these axles will also fit a LJ/LC.

The tru trac center is $950 + freight off harrop.

The axles are $490 each.

this is a heap cheaper than any other conversion and will cop punishment.

So for anyone looking to get rid of the old banjo then I will take a down payment 50% and then also a payment plan over 6-8 weeks there after for the axles. 

any size from 2.78 - 3.55 will fit into the centre and then into the housing.

see for sale items for photos of the axles.

There like tree trunks 

g

#54 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

can only say I'm very happy with mine  Grant....thanks again for setting it up.

Recommend them to others.

#55 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

Did anyone swap out a 9 inch for this setup & compare/calculate the extra power to the ground with this setup vs a 9 inch?
Or the weight difference?

#56 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

Well,

the short answer is no i don't think. But  It's horse for courses. here is a run down after this long journey.

IF you have a 500 hp monster and launch it at the Christmas lights regularly then it may be questionable how long before you need a center re built - it's got 28 spines so it's up there for axles strength - but nothing last for ever !

By all accounts the tru trac center will in a straight line engage very well - we all know that " fish tails and other big changes in stress " affect the center and the clutches and so on - this diff is no different - BUT it dosent have a clutch it has a spiral drive and there are three in the center .

this set up is not noisy like a " detroit locker " and is user friendly on the street and also will hook up when required  in power mode

If you want to punish the crap out of your car doing full on launches off the christmas tree then this is set up may be not for you.BUT will handle  a heap of punishment and the parts are cheap as this is a standard item from the US

If you have a torana and are sick of the old shit house LSD offering of GMH BUT want a bolt out bolt in centre and axles which are far superior then this is for you.

• there is no engineering report needed
  •  
  • there is no brake changes or brake bias change 
  •  
  • there is no new tail shaft required to be modified 
  •  
  • there are not new brake lines to be changed 
  •  
  • there are no new brake shoes and accessories 

I have spoken to at length to John Wright who is the NSW front runner in a torana group nc and tested early true trac's in his NC car and the only thing that he said was the following 

" if it picks up the wheel on curb it looses a bit of drive where by the detroit does not " 

He was running a 23 spline set up in his car and still has the centres non of them have broken.or failed.

so - back to the question of torque onto the road , once the spiral  drives are locked ( wound in ) the diff is locked and a constant two wheel drive has been achieved.

that's why these are an awesome set up as you have all of the above with a simple 2 hour change over on a saturday arvo !!!

really  meed to move these axles and can be either;

sold as is OR 

cut down to LJ

will take $440 each 

the whole set up will now be 

980- center 

880 axles 

total $1860 

will take down payments on the axles so i can move forward 

let me know what you need.

G

#57 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

axles gone.

#58 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Looks like I discovered this post a few months too late.... Don't suppose you have any left, or if the original offer still stands?

#59 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

There are a few people contacting me about this again so if you are interested then post here what you need.

I sold my centre to get rid of the axles so i need a new centre off harrop,

#60 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

Can't fault the centre and it's only a small thing (well it's not really) but the axles should not come covered with swarf. Unfortunately the machinist has the market cornered but does not respect it.

#61 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

i have a centre and housing, i'm not going ahead with this any further so if someone in WA wants a new centre, yell

#62 jbmgt4

jbmgt4

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name:John Moralee
  • Car:A9X Replica

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:49 PM

i have a centre and housing, i'm not going ahead with this any further so if someone in WA wants a new centre, yell

Hi A9X Welby, I sent you a message with my contact details. I'm in Perth and would also love to see your Targa Car, my last Targa event was in 2006 when PB failed to turn left. Haven't done any rallying since but would love to catch up for a yak.

Best wishes John

#63 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

I was looking for a centre & axles.

Just running an LSD banjo at the moment (course spline), which is great on the street, but spins the inside wheel with grippy tyres on the track (I run in supersprints)

I was going to do the commodore BW LSD conversion (already have the diff), but this swap seems a lot more straightforward withouth having to redo housings/brakes/ stud patterns etc.... and at the end of the day I'm not sure how much better the BW LSD will be over what I have....

And if i'm going to te expense of the Trutrac, It seems I'd be better off going to fine splines as well - which means new axles? or can you get the originals re-splined, and if so is it worth it?

Thanks

#64 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

Having an excuse to go for new, bigger axles is great, take advantage of it!

The BW78 LSD's are not much chop at all.

#65 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

The BW78 LSD's are not much chop at all.[/quote]

^^^ yup!

#66 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Looks like I discovered this post a few months too late.... Don't suppose you have any left, or if the original offer still stands?

I have to replace my center so i will be contacting Harrop next week. the 28 is the cheapest 25 - then 23 and most expensive is 10 spline count.

The axle guy needs to put in another order for the billet axles to complete Welby's (marks )  order - 

So if you are intending to do anything then contact me this week via PM.

the diffs are delivered straight to your door via courier after you pay for the center direct with HARROP.

the axles are ordered and a 50% deposit is required- this time i will put you in direct contact with the axle bloke to deal with.

G

Edited by Agent 34, 21 July 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#67 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:50 PM

Is Keith back from his cruise yet Grant ?

#68 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:50 AM

Are the axle splines rolled or cut?

#69 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

Yes he is Mark...

Edited by 2ELCS, 22 July 2015 - 09:22 PM.

#70 _SLY HR_

_SLY HR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hey guys...

How are these setups going?

Could be looking at something similar.. How do you think it would hold up in a 200-250fwhp 6cyl high stall auto street car?

#71 jbmgt4

jbmgt4

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

Josh to give you an idea a 28 spline straight axle forged or billet is good to transmit 450hp and that's what you get made with these set up. I suppose you need to compare that many v8 toranas were raced with standard banjo centers and axles and survived. I'm building a complete unit to go into a v8 torana because I don't want the weight of a 9 inch etc. Grant did have the hp rating of the center. Maybe message him but I know there are plenty of guys on the east coast racing NC class with this set up. Final Drive Engineering in Perth made my forged axles.

#72 Mr Lc

Mr Lc

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

Gday guys is this package still available or anyone have a setup left. 

i know its been a couple years since the start of thread but im keen to get trutrac and axles for my lc

#73 _Micknik_

_Micknik_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

I'm also keen to get this setup, is the deal/package going to be available again??

#74 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

yeah it sort of is but i will just put you in touch with the people and they can assist from there on.

the harrop centres have gone up in price  

if you want  axles then they are still available as well .

pm me with your email and i can give you two direct axle suppliers and Harrops direct email to who i dealt with.

G

#75 jbmgt4

jbmgt4

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hi to all,

If anyone is interested in a full setup for an LH/LX Torana I have one that I was building up for a car but sold the car and I'm heading down a new path. The housing is blasted and powder coated satin black, brand new Harrop Truetrac 28 spline center in the box, brand new set of 28 spline HQ stud pattern forged axles to suit with heavy duty bearings and retainer plates. Brand new large HQ drum brake kit from Altra 9, new brake piping. I have a 3.36 large yoke center which I was going to use to rebuild and fit the trutrac center into. Message me for further info and I'm located in Perth WA. A great setup for anyone that wants the L34 look or just wants a good reliable rear end and can't be bothered with engineering for a 9 inch etc.

Regards John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users