Panel beaters

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Im after a panel beater, i looked local and the only one i would trust/be happy with the end result is booked out till mid next year.
Does anyone know of a good panel beater around the place. Im happy to travel to wollongong and that (not much further)

NRMA guy here today said something about wallys paint and panel or something, i tried looking it up but didnt find much if anyone knows much about them.

thanks.

PS: i live in Bowral NSW 2576

#2 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

hi Mate

There is a guy at moorebank called Snappa that is painting quite a few Torana's at the moment

Snappa Jouannet look it up on facebook

cheers

tony

#3 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

I use one at west ryde. Does great rust repairs. Another forum member used him and was happy with his work.
PM me for his number.
I agree with Tony Snappa seems to be painting every torana in sydney. As for his panel beating skills not too sure.

#4 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

I can recommend Steve at St. Mary's Prestige, it's about an hours drive from Bowral.

http://www.stmarysprestige.com.au/

s

#5 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Just trailer it to mikecatts :)

#6 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

to far skap.
Can anyone link to snappa facebook or website, i can't seem to find it.

Ill check out st marys 

Does he have a website or facebook LHSL, i like to see some of their work thats all.

#7 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Can anyone link to snappa facebook or website, i can't seem to find it.

Is this the guy?

https://www.facebook...ouannet?fref=ts

s

#8 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Really should think about mike.

You can do the trip in probably 2 days.

Depending on how quick you want to do the trip.

You know the work will be good.

Talk to him about price at least.

May find it well worth doing it.

#9 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

Ill check localy first unless he posts with an awesome figure. I don't see much gain in getting him to do al the rust work and then try and get in line for a paint job again. I think if im just getting a paintjob from a panel beater they may over charge me i dont know....But yea if localy isnt good then its always a possability, he might be busy too though.

And yea i saw that stephen but wasn't sure. Just saw him post some stuff on GMH torana facebook page so i guess thats him, ill try find some more pics in the group.

#10 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

Is this the guy?

https://www.facebook...ouannet?fref=ts

s

It is him I have seen his work on Facebook looks realy good.

#11 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:Ve ssv ute and lc gtr

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

i just made the trip 9 hours each way to mikecatts to drop my car off.

I think peace of mind is a beautiful thing. Mike is a class act.

#12 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

whose mikecatts?

#13 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

Cars look awesome in pics with fresh paint. Up close in the flesh can be something else. Be careful about trusting photos. A few days driving is a small chore for quality work IMHFO.

Good luck

#14 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hi all...

Seen my name mentioned..

TempesT.. Im just a quiet achiever who Likes to work on LC and LJ toranas.. Ive done a few now, self taught and wont cut corners.. Im a fussy bugger who treats ALL the jobs the same. If you find some of my build threads.. You will see what I mean.

I have a few of my own.. 23 to be exact,,,in all states of repaire.. some good , some not so good... (no parts for sale)

Im starting LinalJ (matts) 5/70 LC GTR next week.. while doing my missus LJ GTR as well... Im commited to hers, I cant just drop it as Its on the rotissieri and will need it for Matts car.. 

Ill start a thread of his build..

Mike

#15 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

Yea ls1, but the photos give me an idea before i drive 1 hour somewhere thats all. Most places show their awards and things aswell with websites which helps.

And that means mikecatts is busy?

thanks gents

https://www.facebook...MS/308285784400

found these guys too if anyone has had anything to do with them...

#16 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

Matt a forum member on he used to work there Hamo

#17 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

cheers mike,

I figured that it might have been a forum member, havnt been on here in a while. Too bad your not closer. it would be 14hrs each way from the snowie mountains.

What about all the Canberra locals. Anyone down this way that people have used?

#18 MRGMH

MRGMH

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Name:Torana
  • Car:LJ

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

Have a look at this guy looks really good but who knows how much haha.

http://www.exclusive....com.au/lc-gtr/

#19 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Yep, I used to work for the above business. I left of my own accord. The panel work side of the gold GTR was my handiwork. An unbiased opinion of this business, they do good work but it doesn't come cheap, some would say they are on the expensive side. Just feedback I've heard through other car enthusiasts, not my opinion. Jason (manager) is quite approachable & knows Toranas, so it may well pay to contact them. Their workshop is in Heathcote just off the Princes Highway.

#20 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I've just finished the panel work/hi-fill of a LX hatch restoration working for myself. It had a poorly done restoration done about fifteen years ago where the guy had just tacked plates over the worst rust & just bogged up the rest. So it needed a lot of work, the whole front panel under the windscreen, the entire hatch seal channel, both lower quarter panels plus a heap of other work. I spent just under three months of 40 hour weeks to hand strip most of the car to bare steel right up to getting the car in primer. I have a couple of hundred photos of the work I did. I was thinking of doing something similar to what MikeCatts is doing, I have all my own tools, compressor, dent pullers etc plus I do some paintwork & I have a good friend tradesman spray painter who has painted four or five cars for me including the Saffron LH L34 tribute that was front cover of Aussie Muscle Car Enthusiast magazine to do full repaints. Just not too sure at the moment.

#21 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

ok ill give them a go too. I figured if i get a couple interested ill take the car up on a trailer then get a quote from them all in one day hopefully. Then maybe leave it at one of they want it then and now or do another trip.

The dearest local one here was 22k so hopefully that isnt cheap and this one will be 40k

#22 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

It will come down to the overall condition of the car as it sits now. If it is a reasonably clean rust free car, then you won't spend as much as say, the owner of the gold GTR. That car was pretty bad for rust & had a pretty nasty hit up the rear that had been fixed with a ball pein hammer & ALOT of bog, so it needed quite a bit of work. Usually with a car like that, Jason will advise you have the car media blasted back to steel. As I said he is fairly approachable, so you just need to be clear with him on what you want. They are into high end show cars, like his top 20 Summernats LX hatch, if you are only after a neat street car, be sure to explain that to them as there is usually a high price attached to show cars due to the extra work involved in chasing perfect panel gaps & pin straight panels. I know they have quite a few cars in the shop at the moment, but again, I'm certain Jason will accommodate you as best he can if you decide to give them the job. Cheers Matt

#23 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

I want it showy but not showy that i dont wanna drive it. So a real clean street car i guess.

And It's been blastered already so thats all good. I think mines average to bad for rust....not really sure, first car so yea...

thanks

Edited by Hamster, 10 August 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#24 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

ok ill give them a go too. I figured if i get a couple interested ill take the car up on a trailer then get a quote from them all in one day hopefully. Then maybe leave it at one of they want it then and now or do another trip.
The dearest local one here was 22k so hopefully that isnt cheap and this one will be 40k

Sorry off topic slightly. What type of torana are you restoring?

#25 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Sorry off topic slightly. What type of torana are you restoring?

His avatar says LJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users