grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hi guys, seen some braided brake lines to suit lc/lj with disc brakes. I am wondering if these work well with the standard girlock xu1 front calipers & standard xu1 rear drums if these work well with no issues? As in is the braking efficiency improved & if so roughly by how much ? We have heard they didn't work with the original set up well but would like to hear if anyone has done it, to know for sure. Thanks in advance, Gary.

#2 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

the CK  has both front and single rear done in s/s braided lines and it also has s/s piping all the way from front to rear,,, it will never doll off or rust,,, does it help the braking fxxknose.

looks great

cheers gong

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

tried braided hoses on a Suzuki LT500R once. It did make a noticeable difference.
I understand its about doing away with the 'lost' braking force, due to hoses ''swelling'' under pressure.
But I guess on a bike about 99% of the brake circuit is hose, so the improvement effects it all....whereas on a car, about 90% of the brake circuit is already metal, and thus doesn't swell under pressure anyway...so you are only improving the last 10% or so??

My 12cents worth

#4 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Hi guys , I thought there would definitely be more replies to this post ??? I'm pretty sure Dr Terry builds braided brake lines as well so he would have a fair idea I'd imagine. Bazza could even know. Thanks again, Gary.

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Seeing though your asking for comment, i'll comment. 

Yes, theoretically, providing the manufacturer hasnt #@$^%& up, brake lines advertised for a LC/LJ with disk brakes would fit a LC/LJ with stock disk brakes. 

Personally, i have braided on all the flex joints of my LJ. As stated above, there mostly to negligate the swelling affect of rubber hoses which though minimal on a car compared to a bike is still there. 

Would i run them? In general yes. 

All my bikes hve had them, and all my good cars have them. 

If i was doing a concourse resto, probably not. Anything else thats enthusiast related, yes, certainly, cheap insurance. 

Does it make the pedal better? Hard to say. Possibly. Could be a placebo affect, Could be an actual increase. 

You're unlikely to ever actually reach a point in braking threshold on the street to notice them, but hey, there not expensive. 

Cheers. 

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hi bomber gong ect,thanks for your replies yeah i realize how the braking system works, I am finishing a braided brake set up for my club sport atm, it has braided clutch lines already. A friend has a mustang with a braided set up from the states & they told him to expect 30% better efficiency from this. Although the guy i bought my hsv braided lines said that on a torana with standard calipers There is no difference in braking efficiency. I thought that Dr Terry did this professionally so i would really appreciate his thoughts on this. My emails have died so i can't pm him, i can only go through the forum, my car will be very original But if it made the brakes a lot better i would certainly fit them. thanks Gary.

#7 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

They will not make the car stop any better

They will only reduce the flex factor in the lines and possibly improve the feel

#8 hotmetal1000

hotmetal1000

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:LJ

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:13 PM

Digging up an old thread here but I was wondering how people have found the longevity of braided brake hoses?

Having worked in hardware and seen how many busted/leaking S/Steel braided water hoses would come in has me wondering.

Those that have put them on your car how have you found them?

#9 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:34 PM

Hi guys. Yes, braided brake hoses do improve brake pedal 'feel' because the braided hoses don't swell as do the OEM rubber hoses. However they don't improve braking efficiency.

I make braided hose for many cars including all Holdens & they are manufactured to ADR standards, they are an exact fit.

My hoses are teflon lined so will withstand higher temperatures & pressures than the OEM hoses. Also teflon doesn't age so theoretically should last much longer than the rubber variety which perish internally.

Jeff you are correct re: some braided radiator hoses, they are all looks & not much more. They are just cheap rubber inside the braided cover. You are better off with stock hoses.

Dr Terry

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:54 PM

Digging up an old thread here but I was wondering how people have found the longevity of braided brake hoses?

Having worked in hardware and seen how many busted/leaking S/Steel braided water hoses would come in has me wondering.

Those that have put them on your car how have you found them?

No comparison between those cheap crap shit stainless braided rubber core flexible water hookers and braided brake hoses.

I've had to replace too many burst braided hoses on mixer taps and plumbing installations in general.

Edited by S pack, 09 May 2020 - 08:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users