LH Torana

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _marz_

_marz_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hi, im restoring a LH SL Torana for sunday drives and for the odd drags and car shows...im wanting to put a 308 in it and ditch the 253 v8 and m20 gearbox and the diff that I dont know what it is but im guessing the original and I want to get a better breaking system thats not going to have any modification problems or not to complicated...can you guys give me some awesome advice on what to consider putting in...would love to put a 350 cev in but heard its complicated so maybe next one...

#2 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

Hi Marz

Hopper stoppers for brake have a look at there kits. Takes out the guess work.

Different has to be 9", there are others diffs out there, just depends on how much power you want out of the motor.

Want to put a 308 in you say, stroker 355/383 might be a better go. That's if you want to use a 308 block. Lots of other motors out there to use.

Transmission turbo 350, seeing you want to drag it.

But there are lots of options out there and the big question is how much money your willing to throw at it.

Victor

#3 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

Are you male or female Martha?
This is what I would do:
HQ brakes for front.
victor is right rear 9 inch
LS1 motor running a turbo 700.
I cant see why people stick with a holden block these days to be honest unless you want the authentic look.

#4 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Putting a chev in is no more complicated than a 308, only that you have to source engine mounts extractors sump ect. Chev small block will be cheaper per horsepower than a 308/355, and visually you can't tell a 350 to a 400 small block, only a welsh plug is the difference, so go the cubes easy power.

#5 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

I agree with the chev option. With what I have spent on my 308 stroker I could have had several crate engines from the states. And chevs are so easy to get parts for a cheap if you look in the correct spot.

My next engine will be a 400 or 427 small block for sure........unless i deceide to drop the 572 in the old girl.

#6 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

As above. but the R31 Skyline diff conversion is also a good option and a bit cheaper then the 9 inch. and its a fair bit lighter then the 9 inch but wont take as much heavy punishment as the 9 inch.

Ive got a rebuilt 308 and turbo 350 package i will be putting up for sale soon if thats the path your wanting to take. 

Cheers,

#7 _leighlh_

_leighlh_
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

How much do you want for the old 253 and box?.

Leigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users