LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hi all... Firstly, sorry for double posting... I put a question in another thread but realised I shouldnt hi-jack the thread so started a new one...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My clutch has sh*t itself and has started slipping...

Any recommendations for what clutch to use? Brand? Type?

My engine is a 202 running about 190-200rwhp but is mainly a cruiser (occasional/ rare track time, but still may cop some abuse!). Running a Saginaw box (I think the aussie 4 speed clutch is compatible?)

I have a difficult driveway to reverse out of so I will need to use a clutch that will tolerate a degree of slip. I was running a solid brass button but this is not ideal for me.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 27 August 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#2 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Bugger- I am having a shocker today.

Just realised I have now posted this in engine section, not driveline.

Mods, please move if needed- my apologies.

#3 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

I put a heavy duty blue clutch in my LJ,supposedly has 40% more bite

#4 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

correct, the 1 tonner clutch plate has an extra 10mm of clutch material around it compared to the standard six plate.

I still used the standard clutch plate,

but had the 1 tonner diaphragm put into the standard six pressure plate from the 1 tonner pressure plate, which give the clutch more bite.

just for less spinning weight for me.

#5 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

I've tried plenty of different combos and have just gone down the one tonner route. No slip on track and easy on street.

Works good with rat trap. This is an important consideration as the RPM sport clutch I tried had a very high pedal pressure and rat trap couldn't cope.

My current one tonner version came from Sunbury Brake and Clutch. Cheap enough and delivered in a couple of days.

http://www.sunburybrakes.com.au

#6 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

Think mine was from extreme clutch from memory and might be a tonner,it's pretty beefy I can tell you that much lol

#7 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

I've tried plenty of different combos and have just gone down the one tonner route. No slip on track and easy on street.

Works good with rat trap. This is an important consideration as the RPM sport clutch I tried had a very high pedal pressure and rat trap couldn't cope.

My current one tonner version came from Sunbury Brake and Clutch. Cheap enough and delivered in a couple of days.

http://www.sunburybrakes.com.au

Thanks for all the replies...

How long have you been running the one tonne clutch?

I would be more than happy to simply run a tonner clutch as long as I can be comfortable it will hold up.

what pressure plate did you end up using?

#8 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:30 AM

The one in my car has done a few hundred road kms and about 100 laps of Wakefield Park.

#9 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Give these blokes a ring. http://westernclutch.com.au/ They will fix a clutch up for you & usually better priced than an off the shelf unit,

#10 _datpsi_

_datpsi_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Done exactly that in my last lj dedicated race car.. One tonner and standard organic plate and never slipped for couple seasons

#11 _Tangey_

_Tangey_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

The one ton pressure plate will not be kind to your rat trap at all, NPC do an excellent set up. They move the pivot point in a top quality standard pressure plate to give 45% more bite with only 10% more pedal pressure.

They use a top quality organic clutch plate to suit and it will hang on to anything you throw at it with the bonus of not wearing out your mechanism and a light pedal. We put one in a mates XU1 and it is perfect, highly recommend them.

http://npcperformanc...y-duty-organic/

#12 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

What Warren said.

Top blokes to deal with and an excellent product.

#13 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

Have a spare standard plate to chuck in if needed,

as we can rip one apart being a bit aggressive hey.

Picking up clutch pieces later.

#14 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

Done exactly that in my last lj dedicated race car.. One tonner and standard organic plate and never slipped for couple seasons

So the gearbox is out...

I am now seriously thinking that the 1 toner clutch may be the best option... I previously had a 5 finger brass button, which was not really ideal (car is mainly a cruiser with occasional 400m track days, maybe once a year?).

So I have a few more questions...

1) can anyone recommend any particular brand for the 1 tonne clutch?

2) my current flywheel is an ultra light 5.5kg aluminium jobbie, which made the car bog off the line quite bad- made launches difficult... I am thinking of changing to a yells terra 8.5kg unit... Any opinions/ advice? I do like the free revving nature but drive ability is shithouse, plus the launches are poor due to low torque momentum... I figure 8.5kg is a better compromise...

Thanks in advance!

#15 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:51 AM

Have a talk to these blokes, http://westernclutch.com.au/  they may be able to fix you up with a clutch cheaper than you can get an off the shelf unit. I would use the 8.5 or std weight unless it's a circuit car, my car is quicker with a std weight than it was with 5.5kg because it bogged down too much off the line, as you have already mentioned.

Edited by warrenm, 25 September 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#16 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

I don't have a nice light Torana but a rather heavy HJ sedan, better than XU1 202, Supra, 3.55 Banjo, new 235's, std Holden pressure plate and 'std' Toyota clutch plate (Dyna). Have had no slippage what so ever, can break traction in 2nd on dry hotmix (asphalt). I won't bother 'upgrading' till there is an actual issue... although I reckon the Banjo is shaking it's head till I fit the VN diff.

#17 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:17 AM

Have used western clutch a few times good service.

Mine had 8.5kg flywheel I think,1-tonner clutch & modded pressure plate...no slippage however would snap balls of clutch rod.

Went to standard tonner pressure plate only slipped a little if loaded up with 3-4 people after some spirited drives.

#18 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

Have a talk to these blokes, http://westernclutch.com.au/  they may be able to fix you up with a clutch cheaper than you can get an off the shelf unit. I would use the 8.5 or std weight unless it's a circuit car, my car is quicker with a std weight than it was with 5.5kg because it bogged down too much off the line, as you have already mentioned.

Ended up getting the clutch from http://westernclutch.com.au/ 

They recommended a brass button- I wanted a 1 tonne organic, but they convinced me otherwise... Rightly or wrongly, I am very happy, no extremely happy with the new clutch feel and grab. I do think/ believe that the organic would have been fine, but I guess the 100hp shot of gas, should I choose to use it, it may rip the guts out of an organic plate.

I ended up with a Xtreme brass 6 button unit with heavy duty pressure plate. I was running a 4 PUK unit before which was more aggressive.

I changed the flywheel to a 8.6kg unit. This has really smoothed things out. Car feels more torquey, but is obviously less aggressive when coming on the cam.

Overall car feels much better with the heavier flywheel, and the new clutch. Highly recommend western clutch.

I

#19 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

Don't use the plastic thrust race carrier cos this will happen,i used a HQ steel one in mine ,works a treat now

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users