Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

After some tips to set the correct alignment for the diff/tailshaft.

I have fitted adjustable upper trailing arms and set the length to the same bolt centres as the fixed ones so should be right.

However running a different ride height what angle should I have with the wheels on the ground? Diff nose up, down or straight?

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Depends on the angle of the gearbox.

Essentially you want the angle of the diff yoke (if you were to draw a straight line from it) to be parallel to the line of the output shaft of your gearbox.

Ideally you would want a couple degrees of downward angle past parallel on the did to account for squat/weight/travel of the suspension too

#3 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

1 1/2° down from the crankshaft centre line.

#4 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Should say the car is a road car, 1 1/2 sounds like a lot Warren.
Will get the car back on its wheels and see what angle I have and see how that looks.
Was initially thinking everything lined up level with just a tweak up or down for acceleration.
(looks like it should be nose down)

Thanks guys.

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

The amount the pinion angle changes under load depends on many factors. As a starting point from this website.

Factory bushings: Set Pinion Angle 3 degrees to 4 degrees downward from cancelled angle.
Poly bushings: Set Pinion Angle 2 1/2 degrees to 3 degrees downward from cancelled angle.
Solid bushings: Set Pinion Angle 1 degrees to 1 ½ degrees downward from cancelled angle.

This article explains what you are trying to achieve and how to measure the angles.

#6 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'd reduce those starting points somewhat - they are talking about drag racing, and the Torana's suspension probably doesn't have as much movement as a bigger car. I'd be expecting it somewhere between 1.5 and 2 but you have to experiment a little as to what suits your setup.

Mine ended up at half a degree difference with poly bushings and a very short drive shaft (its actually two piece, only the rear part counts).

#7 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

The amount the pinion angle changes under load depends on many factors. As a starting point from this website. Factory bushings: Set Pinion Angle 3 degrees to 4 degrees downward from cancelled angle.Poly bushings: Set Pinion Angle 2 1/2 degrees to 3 degrees downward from cancelled angle.Solid bushings: Set Pinion Angle 1 degrees to 1 ½ degrees downward from cancelled angle. This article explains what you are trying to achieve and how to measure the angles.

Awesome, cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users