grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hi guys, does anyone know if gmh put a colour name to this & a mixing formula for it & preferably in 2 pack be good to know thanks, Gary.

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:15 PM

It depends where you look. Sometimes called low gloss black. Other times med gloss black interior. Satin black.

578-04149 is:

Tinter 05431 setting 450

Tinter 03038 setting 500.

This is for group 1 Dulon acrylic (air dried).

The GMH specification is S263, not sure if that is for heat cured acrylic like the vehicle paint or if it is air dried. A lot of black striping was added after assembly so may be air dried, but some was added in the body plants (eg Sandman sills) so it will be heat cured. 

#3 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

Cool, any idea of how it's made in 2 pack any brand ie tinters ? Is that 2 tinters & a flattening base mate ? Hope that makes sense. Thought Dave had a possible formula as well thanks, Gary.

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

No idea for 2-pack, never used it on a car. Even if the car is in 2-pack you could still use acylic for the blackouts and stripes, it was always applied over the top of the acrylic and/or clear (over metallics).

That formula was straight out of the Dulux book. A paint person will know what it means.

Attached Files

Edited by yel327, 03 September 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#5 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:27 PM

No idea for 2-pack, never used it on a car. Even if the car is in 2-pack you could still use acylic for the blackouts and stripes, it was always applied over the top of the acrylic and/or clear (over metallics).

That formula was straight out of the Dulux book. A paint person will know what it means.

Acrylic lacquer won't stick to two pack, it will delaminate. Unless there is an interface primer available now. There wasn't a few years ago.

#6 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

Hi Dave, i have honestly never tried to put acrylic over 2 pack so i wouldn't know. Personally i just much prefer 2 pack the colour gets more consistency gloss or Matt off the gun way less coats more resistant to chipping lasts longer, i have read marty's build thread & honestly it just seems much extra work & 2 pack really isn't that hard to use. Maybe it's just that it was used when i started doing panel work ? I appreciate the work him & others put in don't get me wrong i just prefer to use the 2 pack myself. I will keep looking for a formula for this colour, otherwise i will just have to try to get something to spectro. Thanks, Gary. Oh & thanks yel 327

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users