Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

Can Rare Spares shed some light on the method they would use to attach the foam seal these tail light lenses come with?

Do I cut it into strips and glue it on or what?

It sure doesnt wrap around the edge of the base and slip into the lens.

This is the lens to base seal not the light assy to car body seal.

#2 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

They are designed to sit in the tail light recess & seal against the base & lens together. If fitted this way, I've found they leak water into the boot, so I apply mastic sealer around the recess, fit the seal, apply a small bead of mastic to the lens/base assembly & fit the light. No leaks. I'm still not completely sold on these seals though, I cleaned & re used the original rubber seals on my SL/R, it would be good if Rare Spares reproduced these seals in rubber as they were made by GMH.

#3 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

This foamy plastic like seal looks more like a sponge than a seal.
Another Rare Spares not quite right product.
Don't get me wrong full appreciation for supply of new parts but just let down by small things.
Those small things do cost though, don't start me on the 80+ hours of rework for my panel shop to fit the hatchback flare/spoiler kit. ( cost that one )

#4 ollie

ollie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

My seals came out a little crushed in shipment, and they didn't look that great... I had access to a laser cutter and made a pair of new ones.

They should be a closed cell foam for leak prevention and you want a bit of squishiness to account for the build tolerance. They should fit around the 4 studs and be squished up against the boot recess/base/lens.

#5 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

We note your concerns and appreciate the feedback.

We have been investigating this matter today. The genuine sponge gasket seal in the car was fitted to the body with a contact adhesive. Our seal is a closed cell sponge which when fitted to the body with contact adhesive as per original should perform comparably.

Ollie, if you can PM me your postage details I'll organise a replacement gasket set to be sent to you.

#6 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

My seals came out a little crushed in shipment, and they didn't look that great... I had access to a laser cutter and made a pair of new ones.

They should be a closed cell foam for leak prevention and you want a bit of squishiness to account for the build tolerance. They should fit around the 4 studs and be squished up against the boot recess/base/lens.

Mine too had a "squish" mark through both of them.
I did get a good pair which come from the Rare Spares rubber kit my panel shop had bought in.

I will be using a little extra sealant with these.

Edited by mika03au, 16 September 2014 - 06:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users