distilled water in radiators

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:48 AM

Distilled water is prefer to tap water to use in automotive cooling systems,The minerals and ions founded in tap water can be corrosive to internal engine components and cause a more rapid depletion of the anti-corrision additives founded in most anti freeze.

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:10 AM

and.... ?

#3 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

Go with what it states on the additive you use and change how often they recommend. The additive should have properties to counteract corrosion, etc.

Some additives say to mix with deionised water.

Be sure to have an overflow reservoir; air in your radiator is what you want to avoid.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 18 September 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:06 AM

Always use distilled water, however, for the time I spent as a radiator repairer, worked in 3 or 4 different shops, no one ever used anything but tap water, same goes for dealers. I wonder if even the factory uses tap water.
I suppose we are lucky here in Sydney to have very clean tap water, but if you live in an area with heavy or dirty tap water you should treat it the same as if you were to drink it.

Heck, if you can drink it with no ill effects then it must be ok to leave in an engine for 12 months.

#5 gad05

gad05

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Name:Graham
  • Car:73 lj 2 door , 74 lj sedan.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

I use distilled water in my cars, can't do any harm and cheap to buy in supermarkets.

#6 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

is the original post a question, or a statement mate?

Edited by RallyRed, 18 September 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

There is a reason i have him blocked....Every question he askes is a statement.....

#8 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

Just jam the garden hose in ther, toranas are not high tech bits of kit.

#9 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

+1 ^

never have used distilled water, and never will.

only batteries need it?

#10 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

from factory shop manual...p.s I don't use dist. water either...

Attached Files

#11 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

'Purest possible water' can mean tap water instead of collecting it from the puddle in the pot hole in the road.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 18 September 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

Uhu. 

Im another hose guy....

Though recently Autobarn has been having 5lt bottles of corosion inhibiter and distilled water mixed, just tip it in, for like $5.99 a bottle, so i've just been using that. 

No need for antifreeze where im located. 

Cheers. 

#13 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

G.M.H. Manuals are good.

plenty of years experience 

#14 _evilsim_

_evilsim_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Distilled water is prefer to tap water to use in automotive cooling systems,The minerals and ions founded in tap water can be corrosive to internal engine components and cause a more rapid depletion of the anti-corrision additives founded in most anti freeze.

Yes ... I Think.

#15 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

According to No-Rosion it is preferable to use reverse osmosis water instead of distilled.

http://www.no-rosion...ech_coolant.htm

Q.  Should I use distilled water as coolant?

A.  Yes. But only in a 50/50 mix. Distilled water should not be used as straight water coolant, because it can cause damage to system metals. The reason has to do with how distilled water is created.

During the distillation process, water is vaporized into its gaseous phase, so all impurities are left behind.  These impurities include a number of minerals, including calcium and magnesium, the two components of hardness.  The water is then condensed back into its liquid phase, so the resulting liquid is pure water. In fact, some of the purest water on earth.  The problem is that distillation strips impurities from water, resulting in water molecules that are electrochemically imbalanced. So distilled water will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling system as it attempts to rebalance itself electrochemically. This can result in damage to metals in a cooling system.

Using distilled water in combination with 50% antifreeze effectively cuts the amount of distilled water in half. By compounding with glycol, it will not cause damage to metals in a cooling system. For this reason, it is safe to use distilled water in a 50/50 mix.

Q.  What type of water is best to use as straight water coolant?

A.  Reverse osmosis (RO) water. Rather than stripping impurities from water, RO filters them through a membrane. The resulting water is electrochemically stable, and not harmful to metals in a cooling system. RO water is every bit as pure as distilled water, but without the risk of electrochemical stripping of electrons from system metals.

#16 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

You got a Like  :clap:

According to No-Rosion it is preferable to use reverse osmosis water instead of distilled.

#17 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:55 AM

two likes .

anyone used that purple ice radiator super coolant seems to drop the temp a little based on there little experiment

on the 350.frock i still cant post links lol

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 19 September 2014 - 02:06 AM.

#18 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

The best and cheapest pure filtered water to use is take a 20 litre plastic drum to a car wash put on final rinse cycle (no streaks water ) make sure rinsed out previous cycle put nozzle in drum $2 worth and you have some of the cheapest pure filtured water you can get to top up radiator. I use that with redline water wetter.

#19 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

A.  Yes. But only in a 50/50 mix. Distilled water should not be used as straight water coolant, because it can cause damage to system metals. The reason has to do with how distilled water is created.

During the distillation process, water is vaporized into its gaseous phase, so all impurities are left behind.  These impurities include a number of minerals, including calcium and magnesium, the two components of hardness.  The water is then condensed back into its liquid phase, so the resulting liquid is pure water. In fact, some of the purest water on earth.  The problem is that distillation strips impurities from water, resulting in water molecules that are electrochemically imbalanced. So distilled water will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling system as it attempts to rebalance itself electrochemically. This can result in damage to metals in a cooling system.

Using distilled water in combination with 50% antifreeze effectively cuts the amount of distilled water in half. By compounding with glycol, it will not cause damage to metals in a cooling system. For this reason, it is safe to use distilled water in a 50/50 mix.

A.  Reverse osmosis (RO) water. Rather than stripping impurities from water, RO filters them through a membrane. The resulting water is electrochemically stable, and not harmful to metals in a cooling system. RO water is every bit as pure as distilled water, but without the risk of electrochemical stripping of electrons from system metals.

good advice

#20 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

Fer chrissakes this is getting ridiculous now. Are your engines such precious little princesses that a stray electron or two in the coolant makes them burst into tears?

I'm with Terra; if it's good enough to drink it's good enough for my radiator. And good enough for my battery too for that matter.

#21 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

The dumbest shit I've read so far today...

#22 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

....considering some of these blocks are already 44 years old...and have been run on goodness knows what for a long time......reckon most things that look like ""water"" will do the trick.

#23 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

This is some of the funniest pseudo science I have read in a while. Hilarious!

#24 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

H2O. Chemically stable and inert.

The equation balances.

Sure was some dribble

#25 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

... and where outside of a power plant can you get RO water?

Lemme guess, available from No-Rosion.

I agree with the others, our cars have been running well enough on tap water & rad. fluid for decades. By the time your radiator perishes (if it does) the money you've saved buying schmancy chemicals you can buy yourself a few radiators.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 19 September 2014 - 09:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users