Photo

Fitting UPC 287mm Torana stub kit to LX hatch

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 _sbc57lx_

_sbc57lx_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

Don't the kits use AU 2 disks,    not VX disks ?,   there's about 20mm more offset with a VX disk ,      I thought a VX disk should have clear those wheels .

#52 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

Yes the kits use AU discs and the wheels do fit with the VX disc but not enough room for a caller between the disc face and the webbing on the back of the spokes

#53 Kiwi_SLR

Kiwi_SLR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Car:LH SLR

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

Looks like the  LX hose setup is a bit different to LH.  I had a look at the hoppers install and they put the hose behind the stub axle to keep it out of the way.

Also, the LH steering arms are shorter that LX/UC and the tie-rod sits a bit higher. So the caliper sits above the tie-end, so really need to swap the stub axles from left to right.

My LH

Attached File  torana-41.jpg   119.03K   17 downloads

LX from Hoppers posts - Thanks Aidan

Attached File  torana-42.jpg   65.75K   11 downloads

They seemed OK. I don't remember what length they were though.

#54 Kiwi_SLR

Kiwi_SLR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Car:LH SLR

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

^^ tie-rod that is

#55 _mowie_

_mowie_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Great write up Rexy. What made you change from HQ stubs back to torana? Are the people having issues with this kit installed on the H series stubs?

#56 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

I had some clearance issues with calipers versus crossmember. Nothing that couldn't have been fairly easily dealt with but I wanted to see if the UPC stuff was any good. I had used his shop to do some other odds and ends and the quality of his work was good. His price is certainly very sharp!

The car handles much better with Torana stubs in it.
They make kits for the H series holdens but I don't know of anyone who has fitted this combo to a Torana.

#57 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Just digging up this thread..

I notice no one has mentioned anything about the master cylinder? Does the master cylinder need to be changed for these UPC brakes or is the stock LX setup OK? I have put a 287mm set in and have an LX SLR with the bigger booster.. Brakes seem a little spongey at the moment but a proper bleed should fix this. Or do I need a master cylinder change too?

Cheers for any advice.

#58 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

Master is fine

If you wanted to upgrade it to a 1 1/8" corvette one I wouldn't be offended

#59 _Ratz2_

_Ratz2_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

I hope the big 330 mm ones are ok, just got a set off upc, pick them up next week, got them cheap off ebay, now just have to sort out rears and master cyl and booster so they all match good

#60 _torriemick_

_torriemick_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

hi i too bought these off ebay a while back and have now just fitted to my rebuild all went reasonably okay had to file or remove metal same as rexy had done stubs on original sides only drama i had was the dust seal they supplied so i purchased standard torrie ones mounted rotors and calipers with pads all ooked fine brake hose did seem a bit long however if this becomes a issue i will simply have some new ones made can any tell me if they remember or know how much it changed the offset once the wheels were fitted 

thanks rexy for the helping hand along the way 

it seems as though UPC have fallen off the planet as their ph numbers or web is useless tried contacting via facebook but with no response so i guess we are on our own 

my kit is the 287 mm kit 

#61 _davewendy_

_davewendy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:34 AM

I have a 330mm kit i bought years ago for my lx, i have fitted one side, all seems to fit ok, but i am starting to get keen to put car back together, i need everything else as car has sat for 16 years, front calipers siezed, master cylinder leaked, booster seems to be only single diaphragm one , still drums on rear, so do i go with the upc on the front, and big booster drum rear, or go willwood all round with no booster master full kit, any ideas would be good thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users