Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Car:'77 LX 2850 sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

I know what you are saying but I need to have something to work towards or I lose interest. Already been down that road with my 4.5 year long van project just got so over it and gave up. This one needs to be done in a reasonable amount of time or it will end up just like the van. At the moment im in the planning and getting parts stage

its actually kind of sad, I've wanted a Torana since I was a kid and now I'm just finding it hard to decide which direction to go with it

#27 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

What was it about Toranas that first got your neckhairs to attention? For me it was the look and sound of one of those things around Bathurst, so my car is flared, drop tanked and with a 5 liter. Maybe remembering what got you excited in the first place will help you decide your direction? And having a welding mate is a bonus, because that takes care of the rust repairs. In the meantime learn how to strip and prepare a panel (Slar's Rusty Lx thread and many other's are gold for this), then skim coat it with filler for a good result without needing 20 years of panel beating experience behind you, or a million expensive tools. My current method is to get one panel a week in epotech, ready for skim coating: suddenly I only have two to go and feel like it's progressing. 

If you want it enough, and it seems you do, you will find a way to get it all done. Plan a visit to Toranafest in September too, that will fire you up and give you plenty of options to look at and owners to talk to. :-)

Don't give up yet mate. :-)

#28 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:28 PM

definitely not anywhere near giving up just finding it hard to know where to start. Interior can stay as is for a while as its in good nick, all it needs is a carpet, but needs rust repairs/panel/paint. When I paint it I want it perfect so I wanna do it inside out while painting underneath and engine bay black. Thinking holden perfect/voodoo blue. The driveline swap is the easy part. detail engine on stand and fit all the bolt on stuff, bolt on the box and slot it in. Plumb and wire. Rig up the column shift to the TH700, by that stage ill have had the diff modified and ill have fitted it. Then just have a tailshaft done and exhaust and thats it.

#29 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

well got a little bit done today, bought all the gaskets, got the oil pump packed with vaso and refitted, cleaned the grotty shit out of the fuel pump bowl and refitted that, tomorrow arvo ill get the sump cleaned out as best I can and get the pickup back on, bolt the timing cover and sump back up. On that note does anyone have a reasonable six cylinder auto radiator in Sydney that I can purchase by Friday?

#30 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

oh and also in the market for a good condition front passenger door

11108842_10205666604839706_8710254582786

#31 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:16 PM

builds off

#32 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:44 PM

Hmmmm?

#33 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:51 PM

To much $$$$$$$$ for this car imho

#34 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

Why? 

#35 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

was drinking last night and had the shits with the car that might explain the above :S as far as sober ben knows he is still building the car haha.

#36 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

LOL

#37 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

Don't give up mate, as you said you have always wanted one.

all good things take time  

#38 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

that's the spirit! :-) I've given up on mine three times and tried to sell it 4 times lol its all part of it

Keep at it. :-)

#39 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Oh don't worry. Been thru 4.5 years of this already with a previous project that I gave up on in 2013, just need more hours in the day. Working on cars and trucks for a living doesn't help

#40 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

Alcohol the wonder drug... Ha ha, glad it's still going. 

#41 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

Yeah I don't think I could ever get rid of of, would love to knock it over within a year but I just don't see that happening with my time poor life. That and I'm pedantic so while I want to have a go at the panel and paint myself I hold myself back because I know if it's anything less than perfect I'll get the shits haha

#42 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Good. Get stuck in.

#43 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:06 PM

Well, after driving down to melbourne with my cousin on friday night and coming back saturday arvo with a 454 BBC for his HX kingy, I decided to get the 6 back together again. Packed oil pump with vaso, filled new filter with oil, new gaskets, its on. Cleaned out sump and pickup, new gaskets and its on. Engine back down on its mounts and bolted up. Garden hose in the water pump inlet. Fires up straight away. Oil pressure light still didnt go out. Revved the absolute shit out of it, sort of nearly went out, but didnt. Sounded like it was getting a little noisy after a few mins, however, how long can you run a red motor for with low/no oil pressure before it starts knocking typically? Couple of mins? Used 20W-50 oil, thinking a possible relief valve problem. Also going to change the pressure switch just in case. Probably not gonna go too far into it, this is the car telling me it wants its 5 litre :P 

#44 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:12 PM

Generally a few seconds will let you konw if theres no oil....

Probably teh switch. 

#45 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:40 PM

Well, the diagnosis has been made.....and its f'ing ridiculous. There is no oil pressure issue. Turns out whoever owned the car before me has swapped the oil light and alternator light globe holders with each other in the back of the cluster. Each time I've tried to get this thing running I haven't put the alternator belt on as it was only ever going to be running for a couple of minutes and I had a garden hose in the water pump inlet (radiator got damaged while it was out of the car), so the alternator light (in the oil light lens in the cluster) has rightfully stayed on. But the oil light (in the alternator light lens in the cluster) has gone out. Only noticed it this time around because I made a video. When I was watching the video I noticed it because I wasn't intently focusing on the oil pressure light like I was at first start. Pulled the cluster forward and yep, the two lights had been swapped. Checked the engine harness connector incase it had been swapped there. And of course when the engine was running before it shagged the timing gear both lights went out together when the engine started as you would expect so there was no reason to go looking for a problem like this.

I'm an auto sparky too, so that's a tad embarrassing.

#46 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

Ha ha - we've all been there! It's easy to do silly stuff, especially when you're labouring away under a car in the shed at 11pm after a full day's work. I got stuck under my own car once... Anyway, one more problem off the list!

#47 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

Had the idea of spraying it Panama green and with Simmons B45's, chrome dished with colour coded centres. Thoughts?

#48 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

4changed.jpg

Panama green...yes!
B45s with dish...yes!
Colour coded b45 centres....NO!

#49 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

Hmm yes it may be a bit much, and a bit 90's. sort of the look I wanna go for but I think it looks better in my head haha

ive been finding it hard to settle on which green I want because they all seem to look different in different light

#50 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

I prefer mint julep myself but they all look great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LXTorana, 2850, first, build, rust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users