Engine stored after a re-build

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

I plan on rebuilding a motor and not installing it for quite some time. 

The block requires a hone, new rings and bearings.

It is just going to be a stock standard 2f Land cruiser motor.

Should I be worried about the fresh bores getting a little surface rust? I have read it is best to leave the bores dry so that the rings can bed in easier.

Or should I be giving it a light coat of engine oil to prevent corrosion?

Any advise from those in the know would be great.

Edited by Inj gtr202, 20 October 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#2 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

Adam why not run the motor on occasion. I build an engine stand that I can run my motor whenever I like. I also use it as a test motor for tuning carbs etc.

There are some very simple designs that people have made. Mine is a frame on 4 wheels, push button start and a tacho, oil and water gauges.

Then you don't need to worry about any internal issues with your engine...

Cheers Ken

#3 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

Good idea Ken,

Only problem I see with that is how to you build up cylinder pressure without any load on the engine?

#4 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:41 PM

Just oil everything thoroughly and tape up all the openings before you store it. Provided you keep it somewhere dry it'll be good for years. I wouldn't be starting it periodically; it'll do more harm than good.

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

How long are you storing it for ?

I have a few motors that have been stored awhile

I hope they go when the time comes

If you have big seat pressures it might pay to loosen off the rocker gear so the springs aren't compressed

And some say not to install the rings if your going to leave it years as they will lose their tensions

But I've seen engines sit for years and crank up with no dramas at all

And those are old utes in paddocks that haven't moved for 10's of years

#6 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

Just oil everything thoroughly and tape up all the openings before you store it. Provided you keep it somewhere dry it'll be good for years. I wouldn't be starting it periodically; it'll do more harm than good.

Must be why my test engine smoke like a trooper...lol

#7 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

Lube with 2 stroke oil?...burns off quick and seems to stay on things when sitting providing not too much exposure to the elements...like any other oil?

#8 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

Lube with 2 stroke oil?...burns off quick and seems to stay on things when sitting providing not too much exposure to the elements...like any other oil?

Apparently some of the universal agricultural oils (the stuff that can be used in engines, trans, hydraulics etc.) have special anti-corrosive additives for machines that sit all year and only come out at harvest for example. TBH though I wouldn't worry about it, normal engine oil seems to do the job fine.

#9 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

If you are not going to need the engine for some time, why not hold off assembling it until you will be using it?

#10 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the advice all.

The reason I want it finished is because I'm pretty much building the car around the motor and don't want to have to remove it once the body is finished.

This project http://www.gmh-toran...l=+ghetto +fj40  has changed somewhat. It's now a full body and mechanical restoration as I now have a nice big shed  :spoton:

I'm guessing the motor will be assembled in the next month or 2 and not fired up until the truck is ready to drive, because as oldjohno said idling the motor would be no good for it.

I was mainly worried about oiling up the bores too much and then having troubles with bedding the rings in.

#11 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

If you are not going to need the engine for some time, why not hold off assembling it until you will be using it?

Agreed. I had the option of assembling the 202 for the LJ while watching Bathurst. Then I thought........... What's the point? It probably wont run for a couple of years? So I got my hoist working instead. :fool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users