Failure of fuel tank sender

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

I fitted a new sender into my LH 2 weeks ago, driving home today and my gauge goes off the scale ( full)
I checked when I got home and the unit read 2 ohms resistance , ( the working scale is 10 = Full and 73= Empty)
so basically the unit has shorted out internal, mmmm I had buy a new one if I wish to keep car on the road , the seller will give a refund after I return it and he tests it.
What a pain!

#2 _walpolla_

_walpolla_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

Gday bloke.

I presume you have pulled the wire from the sender and observed the result?

If it remains pegged full, there would be a short in the wire between dash and tank, if it drops to empty and no movement, I reckon you are right that the new sender is busted.

Was it a Rares one or other?

Look on the bright side - you will be quicker fixing this one ! You have the experience.

regards,Rod.

Edited by walpolla, 22 October 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#3 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

Gday bloke.
 I presume you have pulled the wire from the sender and observed the result?
If it remains pegged full, there would be a short in the wire between dash and tank, if it drops to empty and no movement, I reckon you are right that the new sender is busted.
 Was it a Rares one or other?
 Look on the bright side - you will be quicker fixing this one ! You have the experience.

regards,Rod.

Hey rod the AC is is nice and cold, anyway yes I pulled the wire off and didn't move, so I measured the unit, yes it's a rare spars ones
Yep will be quicker to pull the tank!

#4 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

Here the pictures
The insulation has melted after 2 weeks in normal fuel and the strap bridged out on the body of the unit, I have contacted the supplier and expressed my concerned

Attached Files

#5 _walpolla_

_walpolla_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Did that have some ethanol blend in there, or was it supposed to be straight petrol?  Pretty poor effort from our major old stuff supplier.

I have seen ethanol fuel eat stuff up , but not straight petrol.

regards,Rod.

#6 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

Unleaded 91 , they questioned me on that however in saying that most high octane fuel 98 etc will have 5-10 ethanol in it, anyway I fixed by moving the strap away, getting quick at R/R the fuel tank !!!

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

I wonder if they are using heat shrink on those straps and it isn't a fuel resistant grade?

#8 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

I wonder if they are using heat shrink on those straps and it isn't a fuel resistant grade?

When I cut the crap off I swear it's shrink wrap, I kept samples

#9 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

I have been personally contacted by the manager of Rare spares to make sure all was good, they are concerned about the failure and looking into it.
So the thumbs up for good customer service

Edited by Muzzy, 28 October 2014 - 05:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users