its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

Has anyone swapped an LC/LJ front X-member into a HB?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Paul.

#2 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Are the rails the same width?

#3 _NewsuxLX_

_NewsuxLX_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

You talkin the gearbox cross member paul? And both 4 cyl? I am about to swap one out of a lj into my hb. I assumed they were the same but i can have a measure if youd like

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

You talkin the gearbox cross member paul? And both 4 cyl? I am about to swap one out of a lj into my hb. I assumed they were the same but i can have a measure if youd like

I think he's talking front suspension cross member.

#5 _NewsuxLX_

_NewsuxLX_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

I see. Well if hes talkin 4 cly lj lc then its the same but 6cyl no good

#6 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

Yeah sorry, Dave is correct, I want to use 6 cylinder stubs in the HB rat rod, and was thinking of swapping the K frame completely, I know that I would have to drill the extra two holes in the chassis rail, but want to know if anything else is involved.

#7 _NewsuxLX_

_NewsuxLX_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

Im not sure. Im thinking that the 6 cyl has a longer nose so the out riggers would be longer i would think duno. Your on your own lol

#8 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

This is what I want to swap over, but LC/LJ not LX, it's been done before, but I didn't pay attention at the time.
Has anybody done it or knows where to steer me in the right direction for information on how it was done?

23072009003.jpg

#9 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

I measured the rails and from memory the 4 cyl rails are thinner than the 6 cyl LC/LJ so the distance in between the rails on 4 cyl is greater

to fit the 6 crosmember you could add a bracket on the inside to make the rail wider and drill your holes in it for the mounting bolts

would need to be boxed and cups fitted

Edited by limo, 25 October 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#10 _LC2door4_

_LC2door4_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

I had an LC 4 cyl car and a 6 cyl k-frame (not installed. 4 cyl rails thinner but distance between centres of top k-frame mounts should still line up with centres of rails. Outriggers about 10cm longer and don't splay out as far at the rear mount points. I think you would have to adapt your 4 cyl front end by changing control arms, stubs, etc. the 6 cyl one would require more full-on mods to make it work IMO. I remember reading somewhere that you can fit A9X control arms to the 4 cyl front end and then use your 6 cyl stubs. Maybe search in that. Cheers and good luck!

Edited by LC2door4, 26 October 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#11 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

I had an LC 4 cyl car and a 6 cyl k-frame (not installed. 4 cyl rails thinner but distance between centres of top k-frame mounts should still line up with centres of rails. Outriggers about 10cm longer and don't splay out as far at the rear mount points. I think you would have to adapt your 4 cyl front end by changing control arms, stubs, etc. the 6 cyl one would require more full-on mods to make it work IMO. I remember reading somewhere that you can fit A9X control arms to the 4 cyl front end and then use your 6 cyl stubs. Maybe search in that. Cheers and good luck!

Thanks Jules, my initial thought was to swap the Lower control arms with LC/LJ ones, this would give me the bigger ball joint to accommodate the 6 cylinder stub axle, but they appear to be different, one has a dogleg in it and the other one is flat, I'll see if I can take some photos tomorrow showing the difference. :)

#12 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

I measured the rails and from memory the 4 cyl rails are thinner than the 6 cyl LC/LJ so the distance in between the rails on 4 cyl is greater

to fit the 6 crosmember you could add a bracket on the inside to make the rail wider and drill your holes in it for the mounting bolts

would need to be boxed and cups fitted

Thanks Limo, That sort of work is simple stuff, so thanks for that, I'll have to measure the difference between the two rails, also I'll have to measure the track on the front.

I snapped some photos today showing the difference between the lower control arms, I think if it is possible to change the HB for the LC I'd have to change the upper control arms as well, but again not sure if the LC pivot points of the UCA & LCA are the same as the HB, so I will have to measure. :D

HB

20141028_135013_zps3ff96a47.jpg

LC/LJ (not the best example)

20141028_135029_zpse8954232.jpg

20141028_134907_zps7bceb2b0.jpg

Cheers Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users