#1 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

Hi guys.

I have these performance challengers to get spruced up and I need to get a set of wheel nuts. I have a lot of different ones sitting around and theres a few different sorts available on ebay.

Can anyone advise me which are the right wheel nuts to get? Cheers.

image_zpsd76c9a70.jpg

image_zps55e5795a.jpg

#2 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

It is a bit hard to see from the photo, but they look like they take a tapered nut like the GTS one at the bottom of your collection. Although most alloys use the type that goes through, like the others you have. Do any of the shaft type nuts fit through the hole? (The longest nut on top would be for a 10" hotwire with the thicker centre.)

I just had a look at your cars Hainzy. Great collection you have there. The red pano's remind me of Mad Max.

Edited by Shiney005, 24 October 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#3 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

Not being an expert in wheels and nuts i would question the use of a tapered nut on an alloy rim,little support,alloy is soft,could work loose.

Thought long ones with a steel "insert" were used on "alloys",they are usually a neat fit in hole with the washer to spread the clamp forces in a better direction when pulled up while the neat fit of "shank" of nut took the driving load rather than rely on the taper to both hold the wheel on

and take the load ?.

Edited by EunUCh, 24 October 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#4 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, that's definitely how it normally is, but the photo looks like it has a taper on the rim. The way to be sure is to see wether or not the long shank nuts fit through the hole. I'm no expert on wheels either. But my missus sometimes thinks I'm nuts.

#5 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

Thanks a lot guys.

Now that you mention it I do have some which have a big washer around the base, and youre right about needing the tapered end like the GTS ones. I think Ill just take a wheel to the local wheels place and get the correct ones from them. Mucking around with the wrong wheels nuts prob isn't a crash hot idea..

#6 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

Looks like normal tapered nuts to me. Almost every alloy wheel fitted to vehicles nowadays use regular tapered nuts. The center bore is supposed to transmit the load , not the studs and the nuts. Yes, there is obviously load imposed on the studs and nuts but their prime function is to affix the wheel to its mounting surface. Also, alloy wheels are not soft. Aluminium is soft, but wheels are cast with many other elements to increase strength. 

Ensure the nuts you choose have the correct taper for the wheel and that the center bore is a good fit on the hub and you should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users