9 replies to this topic

#1 hatchssv8

hatchssv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

Fitting my rear spoiler on the hatch and was wondering what is the acceptable gap between the hatch lid piece and the qtr panel piece.

From an aesthetic point of view. I don't have good pics of hatches in this area and the angles the pics have been taken can be deceiving.

What gap (in millimetres) do you hatch owners have???

I anticipate approx. 15 mm with the spoiler I purchased.......and want to compare with others before I drill holes in body and commit to fitting it.

Looking forward to your replies

Max 

#2 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

5-6mm each side of mine which is an original spoiler, however the Rares hatch seal makes it sit high a little.

#3 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

Should match the hatch to c pillar gap?
15mm is huge. Lol

#4 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

I'd expect the gap to be the same as gap between the hatch and 1/4 panel without the spoiler. 15mm in my opinion is way to big

Snap Ls1 taxi

Edited by tuxedoss, 31 October 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#5 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

The gap mentioned above is correct, it should be the more or less the same as the gap the hatch and quarter have. You are gonna have to fill or build out the ends or it will look wrong. Same goes for aligning them with each other, threat as one piece and grind, sand, finish across both parts at the same time so that they line up properly.

#6 _ToranaLX76_

_ToranaLX76_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

The center part of my spoiler sits about 2mm in from the edge hatch lid, the end pieces are flush with the quarters maybe even slightly hanging over, the spoiler was an absolute bitch to fit. I had to build up the right side end piece by about 4mm so it would be flush and straight with the quarter, the gap between the center section and end pieces is now around 6 to 8mm.

Also I found when bolting the front of the spoiler down off the center piece caused the back of it stick out by about 1 1/2 inches (massive gap) , I got a replacement which was better but not by much resulting in having to cut right along the whole length of the spoiler where goes accross the back of the boot lid and putting a slight relief in the center by pushing it out just above the lock area and inwards at the ends towards the rear of the boot lid side then reglassed the whole thing and puttying out all the imperfections and it is still not perfect but I can live with it now.

#7 hatchssv8

hatchssv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

Lee, That's exactly what my hatch centre piece is doing...........no way I can do the same mods you have done. Did you get yours from north of the border?

#8 _ToranaLX76_

_ToranaLX76_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

That's right, in defence the owner did try and sort it out, not sure if he understood why it occurred, hence doing the mods

The issue is if you put a straight edge across the back of the boot lid it has a gentle curve in it, it's not dead flat but the inside of the spoiler is close. So when you push the spoiler to get a snug fit it touches the centre part near the lock area 1st pushing the spoiler out. What they should do is make an inner mould that matches the boot lid.

#9 hatchssv8

hatchssv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:55 AM

Out of interest, how is yours fastened to the hatch?

My centre piece has two studs on the outer edges that go through the hatch (where the outer and inner skin is folded)

I am curious where else it requires to be fastened; two fasteners doesn't seem enough.

That's great info Lee, really appreciated.

PS: After hours and hours of filing and trimming the end pieces, I have managed to get them within 2 mm of the qtr inner edge. 

#10 _ToranaLX76_

_ToranaLX76_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Yes my center piece fits the same way, just use some sikaflex along the front & side edges, this will also stop the water getting in should be strong enough. I was also going to fit a foam strip on the inside of the back edge, probably wouldn't hurt to put some blobs of sikaflex there too. If you need to get it off again, just use some fishing line to cut the sikaflex.
Cheers
Lee

Edited by ToranaLX76, 06 November 2014 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users