This is a guide of how I converted my LX instrument cluster to late model electronic gauges from start to finish.
The original inspiration for this project came from Andy (ls2lxhatch) and his gauge setup that he is using in his hatch.
Hopefully he will read this thread and drop a link in to his cluster build.
** As a note, if the images disappear, it indicates that my photobucket bandwidth has been exceeded. Don't worry, it resets and they will be back !
My original plan with my LX was to emulate a SLR in every detail. Long nights were spent trawling ebay, gumtree, ect looking for that perfect SLR cluster. Now, like a lot of you, I have several
tucked away for safe keeping. The SL cluster that was fitted, worked fine and served its purpose.
I much prefer capillary gauges, so I mounted a autometer oil pressure and water temp gauge neatly on my shifter console. Now fitting a SLR cluster would add two extra unwated senders to the
When I fitted my B&M TH350, I had no end of trouble trying to match the drive and driven gears in the speedo output housing. I bought all sorts of coloured gear combos to get it right.
Then the driven gear housing decided to leak !
With the 434 SBC being fitted in the close future (I sold the first Shafiroff one to a mate), I ordered a Coan racing TH350 with all the fruit necessary for handling the torque.
When it arrived, I noticed that there was no speedo drive output fitted at all ! Time to start thinking about GPS speedo's.
SL cluster next to a SLR cluster
Now the cluster build begins.....