#26 _flyxu1_

_flyxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Very interesting

Very true points made

I think that you need to buy a car for the love of owning a car gtr or xu1

History of the vehicle  is very important  eg 1 owner etc

You must had insurance of the vehicle to protect the cost even if not being driven ( in case of fire etc ) this is a cost

I think colour and trim combo is going to be a big thing soon the rarer combo the more appealing to the buyer for resale

I don't think if you buy a good car you want lose unless in a hurry to sell and forced fire sale

I would look  for a cf motor  gtr  with a rare trim colour eg  not black  if you like the lc gtr car

there was a cf lc gtr for sale about a year ago I don't think it sold if interested I could ring the bloke

I surpose its all up to the  amount you want to spend as well

I hope this is some help

#27 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Car:1971 Lc Torana S 2 Door

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

I also wonder if the generation of the now 20 - 30 year olds will be interested in our cars when they are 40 - 50 or will they still be into their 80's - 90's

As a member of this forum in their late 20’s this is a subject which I have often thought about given that If I’m still driving my Torana at 65 years of age the car is going to be closer to 80 years old.

Your right about the second and third tier , if the GTR is near half the value of an XU1 , and the S's with a two door now worth about 1/3 of the price of an XU1 , have they gained on the performance cars over the last few years , because they didn't suffering the big drop in price the XU1 did . If my comparison is right , what was the percentage three years ago ? It looks like The two door S has had the biggest increase in value out of the three tiers .

It is that $20k price bracket that people seem to see as disposable.

I think that these there is a correlation between these two points.

As these cars get older the people that are going to buy them will fall into two categories. The investor/purist types who will always pay good money for matching number top tier cars. And the other category being people which have an affinity with the model/look of a car rather than being so concerned about originality and buy the car for the enjoyment of driving it rather than just owning it.

One factor that no one has mentioned which will dictate future demand that no one has mentioned is fashion. As an example take a look at the current trend in motorbikes of cafe racers/bobbers ect. This demand for these sorts of 70’s modified bikes must have increased 1000%+ in the last 5 years and is largely due to being ‘trendy’ at the moment and cheap enough to be accessible.

There will come a time in the future when this will happen for older Australian built cars. Driven not by people who grew up when the cars were in showrooms across the country, but rather remember when they were a more common sight on Australian Roads. I would imagine demand will increase for cars which are more accessible i.e sub 20k Turn key cars which have a period correct colour/engine/interior (be it correct for that particular car and/or modified or not). With Holden/Ford ceasing production of cars in Australia this has only compounded the likelihood of this occurring. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

The cars that will really suffer in years to come will be modified cars that have efi conversions, big wheels, trick paint/interior. There is going to be less and less demand for these sorts of cars as the price of fuel increases and the technology with which they have been retrofitted become older and trends in modified cars change.

Top tier cars will always hold value, but sadly I would foresee that less and less will become driven as the owners who purchased them for higher and higher sums will look at them more as an investment than as a hobby.

You would make a lot more buying two clean $20,000 Lc/Lj S/SL Toranas and selling them in 10 years than buying one $40,000 Lc/Lj Gtr.

Edited by red6, 24 November 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#28 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

More to the point will there be fuel for these old jiggers around in say 20 years time

#29 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:59 AM

Yeah I think so mate, we have enough fuel for a lot longer than we have been told.

My understanding is that we would have ran out in about 50 years but there were some massive deposits found in the US that mean it will last a lot longer.

Don't tell anyone though cause if there are lots of electric cars on the road there will be less petrol being used which will make it cheaper for us.

If anyone has info that contradicts my statements I'd be happy to hear it, I can't be fr0cked finding any sources, it's just what I remember reading.

In regards to the original question, I feel the price will continue to go up, but I don't care, mine isn't for sale.

Agree that the top tier will always be worth more for two reasons;

1. More people want them
2. There were less of them made (usually)

#30 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:50 AM

Everyone has made very valid points, and as we don't know the future, they are all a possibility. Only time will tell.

Just for the record, I would buy the car because it is very well finished, standards are high, and I really like the colour of the body and the interior. I would love to have it in my garage, as many others would. As someone else said, you do hope that the money you spend would come back if you HAD to resell, but to make money is not the main objective.
I still consider these cars an investment if the desire is to keep for a long period of time, and not to keep until the rush wears off, you get bored, then sell. And that is across the board with "chrome bumper cars", regardless of badge type.
My opinion :)

By the ey, it has been a great read!

(Should say, by the way)

#31 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:01 AM

I hope they come down in price !

I want them to go up.... :-).

#32 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

Like it or not we are USA clones.

Just look at their market. 

#33 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

More to the point will there be fuel for these old jiggers around in say 20 years time

Yes but it will cost you around $4.00 per litre. :)

#34 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Did not buy a Torana so it would be worth heaps in the future, mad bying a car to make money, the maarket is too fickle. Bought it because thats what i wanted, could not own a stock car, all my cars are V8's and modified to a degree. Not worried about petrol it is what it is, I get my kicks out of small cars with big engines and Toranas fit the bill.

#35 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

Like it or not we are USA clones.

Just look at their market.

what has happened thee? I have no idea

Did not buy a Torana so it would be worth heaps in the future, mad bying a car to make money, the maarket is too fickle. Bought it because thats what i wanted, could not own a stock car, all my cars are V8's and modified to a degree. Not worried about petrol it is what it is, I get my kicks out of small cars with big engines and Toranas fit the bill.

I don't disagree. I have built my hatch to the way I wanted it, not to suit someone else, or to someone else's thoughts or advise.
However, as I said earlier, this time I'm paying for it, not building it, and it would be nice to know I have spent wisely.

This thread was basically to get the thoughts of others, as the guy I spoke to originally gave an opinion that I had not thought of.
Was curious what other people thought.

Basically, most think the same.
Buy cause its what you want, not for profit/ investment
When it comes time to sell, it will be what it will be.- most likely the same as today's market, or hopefully better.

All in all a good read I think. One of the only threads where people can give their opinion and no one can really have a go at them for it. An opinion is exactly that :)

#36 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

Crystal ball sort of stuff , I didn,t think they would rise in value when I bought XU1,s for $5,000 back in the late 90,s and early 2000,s  ..

Anyway I don,t care as I,ll never sell em . let the kids worry about that.

#37 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

Just run them on hydrogen, im gonna start making a few fuel cells soon

#38 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

I don't disagree. I have built my hatch to the way I wanted it, not to suit someone else, or to someone else's thoughts or advise.
However, as I said earlier, this time I'm paying for it, not building it, and it would be nice to know I have spent wisely.

This thread was basically to get the thoughts of others, as the guy I spoke to originally gave an opinion that I had not thought of.
Was curious what other people thought.

Basically, most think the same.
Buy cause its what you want, not for profit/ investment
When it comes time to sell, it will be what it will be.- most likely the same as today's market, or hopefully better.

All in all a good read I think. One of the only threads where people can give their opinion and no one can really have a go at them for it. An opinion is exactly that :)

The only thing I could add to that is in the bit about buying what you want (or building what you want), not for profit or investment. Just keep one logical eye on what you are buying, and think about its future worth. No different to real estate: don't buy the beautiful, immaculate mansion in the sh!ttiest, hottest, remote suburb simply because you are getting the biggest and newest at the expense of location. Lots of people in West Sydney fell prey to this! Buy within your means in an area that both suits your needs and has some chance of capital growth. So in car terms think first before you buy the you-beaut Sunbird with a pretty paint job, mocked up to look like an L34 or A9X and with a stroked 308. Once it has a few dents and the engine has worn out you have a modified Sunbird. Buy the less modified SL/R or GTR and it has some residual value outside the (devaluing) parts that create it. Nothing wrong with a modified Sunbird if that is what you want, just don't pay top dollar for bling. My opinion anyway, although there are some nice cars out there built out of low spec cars!

#39 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

Over the last few weeks I have seen more than three LX Torana's for sale very stock 6's.

There been sell in melbourne for about $6500 -$7500. Let's say you were to buy 5 at $7500.

$37500 today put them away for say 5 year's, what would they sell for ? Compared to buying 1 GTR with the $37500.

But I would still buy the 1 GTR.

I don't buy car's to make money, I just buy the car that fits the needs.

Victor

#40 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:29 PM

The only thing I could add to that is in the bit about buying what you want (or building what you want), not for profit or investment. Just keep one logical eye on what you are buying, and think about its future worth. No different to real estate: don't buy the beautiful, immaculate mansion in the sh!ttiest, hottest, remote suburb simply because you are getting the biggest and newest at the expense of location. Lots of people in West Sydney fell prey to this! Buy within your means in an area that both suits your needs and has some chance of capital growth. So in car terms think first before you buy the you-beaut Sunbird with a pretty paint job, mocked up to look like an L34 or A9X and with a stroked 308. Once it has a few dents and the engine has worn out you have a modified Sunbird. Buy the less modified SL/R or GTR and it has some residual value outside the (devaluing) parts that create it. Nothing wrong with a modified Sunbird if that is what you want, just don't pay top dollar for bling. My opinion anyway, although there are some nice cars out there built out of low spec cars!

:clap:

#41 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

What is wrong with Bling :tease:

UC-MY-LH-1-1.jpg

#42 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

Look at the big borza lol

#43 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

http://www.ebay.com....ngId=5336652905

Edited by RallyRed, 26 November 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#44 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

Seen that car on ebay, looks very nice and I like what he's done with the car.

#45 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

+1

Nice car. Love his engine bay. Very neat and tidy.
Terrific ad, clear pics and a great description. Would love to take it for a spin!

#46 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

+2! Nice car. I'd much prefer a car like that then a run down car with different tags on it.

2 door lc lj lx is the best investment regardless of tag but you will always pay more for pedigree and pure breds.

Edited by Matvex, 29 November 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#47 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

For a lot of us we will be in our 60's to 70's and the thought of driving something without power steer or Air Cond. probably doesn't appeal to most.

If you look at the US though this is the age range of many collectors; they're retired, cashed up and want to own cars from their youth.  Of course they don't drive them often, just to events so power steering and A/C is not an issue.

I think the cars with race pedigree, provenance and limited editions in close to factory condition, numbers matching, etc. will be the collector favourites fetching high prices; the rest will be significantly cheaper.

If we go through some technological revolution; electric race cars for example; then the market could fall flat on its face; how many people these days are after cars with wooden spoked wheels?

s

#48 ben23

ben23

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Car:'77 LX 2850 sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:16 PM

Eh dont feel bad, I bought my LX 2850 sedan at the end of september for $8000 with 5 months rego, the front brakes were down to the metal so did pads and rotors the 2nd day I had it, the 173 spat its fibre timing gear on the freeway after a month so its now in my backyard, ive found more rust that I wish I had of found when looking at it and some that I just didnt know was there until I started whizzing/removing shit. Was running like a bag of shit when I bought it, vacuum leaks galore, replaced all hoses and a good service and tune and she was running nice, now I have a $8000 shell in my backyard that needed new brakes, a service and was about to grenade the motor little did I know. Only got myself to blame though, shouldn't have got too excited about owning my first Torana. Not saying I didn't enjoy it but how much I paid soured the experience for me. Oh well, best get stuck into the build, no going back now.

In fact given how far gone those brake pads were I'm surprised it made it from Batemans Bay to Campbelltown.

Edited by ben23, 02 December 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#49 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:11 PM

I purchased my LX Hatch about 9 months ago & was searching for around a year to find a decent complete car to do a full resto / custom, I dished out good money for my hatch and is well worth every dollar I paid.
I have been offered six grand more than what I've paid already & it shows right there that prices are increasing but then again it always depends what you have.
Low production No.'s vehicles & sport models always will be a sort after car that will bring in good coin.
For me it's never been about the money on building a car or what it's worth when finished, it's always the challenge of the build and the personal satisfaction of driving the car that you built.

That's my 2 cents
Cheers Az

#50 _Paul William_

_Paul William_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

I read with interest the comments regarding the classic car prices, and as stated, "without the crystal ball", it is really anyones guess however, I have monitored for the last few years the prices on the classic cars, I had noticed that there was a serge in prices on the Torana which has seemed at this time to peaked, and in some respects, in some caeses, actually fallen, I think there will always be a market for the Holden & Ford Muscle cars, and there will always be a few who will want the origonal, with most collectables, the rarer it is the more money it commands, especially if it is either in new or near new condition,(not sure if this is the same with a classic car), but I do agree that the cheaper end of the market, like the GTR ,will be more affordable in the future because there will be more who can afford the lower end of the market than the higher end.

I think as is today, those with the higher price tag would be bought buy the serious collector with plenty of $$, and I am not sure if these types of cars will only be sort after by those who a reliving a dream from their younger days, I know several in their early 20s who can't wait to buy a classic muscle car,(maybe because owning one is the cool thing to do), most of these are looking at buying a Torana either in the LC or LJ range, probably because these are within their price range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users