advice with fitting retro rods lower rad support section lh torana

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _ryan350_

_ryan350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hi all i have a lower rad suport section for my lh torana that i got from retro rods in qld, has anyone here fitted one and or have photos how they done it??? there panel is a full front and rear section unlike others that are just the front section! just wondering if i have to cut out the middle section of the existing support panel if that makes sense??? cheers ryan

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:48 AM

Sounds like you do need to cut out part of the existing and weld the new piece in. These are home made pieces but might give some idea of how it fits together:
http://www.gmh-toran...e-3#entry612675

#3 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

I've fitted a retro rods one but modified mine. The problem is the C channel on the lower edge is all the way along on the retro rods one, but the original tapers off to flat, so it doesn't mate up very well. I also found the bottom holes where the nose cone mounts to be 15mm out, check yours. here is a link to how I modified mine, I've welded it in and its turned out ok, I'm not 100% happy with it as I like things 100% original, but its only a minor detail that no one is ever going to see.

http://www.gmh-toran...iator-support/ 

#4 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

Brett do you have pics of the finished section.

#5 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hi mate, I fitted one.

Best advice is to fit the Bonet catch and see where is needs to be welded on.
You will notice that the bottom of it wont line up with the apron.
What I did was tack it on the tapped up the sides to match it.

I had heaps of dramas with it in the end I got it to work.

See my thread

http://www.gmh-toran...toration/page-5

#6 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Brett do you have pics of the finished section.

Here are some pics of it welded in, note the car is upside down on a rotisserie. While I'm not 100% happy as I like things 100% original even if you cant see it, it's a much better fit than if left how it comes, there is no way the C channel end on the retro rods panel is going to mate up with the original panel. The most important thing is to line it up with the bonnet latch support leg in place to get the height correct, but as I found you also need to be careful to get the angle of the replacement bit correct as by tilting it back and forward you can get the height right for the support leg but you need to make sure the back of the replacement bit is flat and consistent with the rest of the support panel, my first attempt had the height right for the mounting bolt but it made the back of the panel bend in at the back. the whole support panel should be flat the whole way from top to bottom with a slope forward

40F9ED74-D529-4883-9CAB-9670BF7A8112_zpsF25B43B7-8A84-4BC9-9A99-BF010D75E32E_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users