LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

I've been meaning to start a discussion on this event for quite some time, but now is perfect as the Jan '15 issue of Street Machine mag has finally come out with a massive 32 page write-up on Australia's first formal attempt at a USA inspired 'drag week' style of event.

I have particular interest here as one of my best mates Quentin ended up winning the bloody thing in his LH Torana 'GMPWR' (I won't call it pink - it's wild plum!). I'm absolutely rapt for him, and it's a well deserved win for a home built car. But regardless of Q's Torana, all the other cars and competitors are awesome too - the article is fantastic, and this type of event really, REALLY appeals to me - it's about cars getting driven long distances and no trailers allowed! I love it!!

For those who aren't familiar with the format... to summarise really quickly - entrants had to drive between 4 tracks, racing at each one, and covering over 1,000km's (plus their own km's to get to the starting point too) - one car did as much as 9,000km! No trailering of cars allowed, no support vehicles allowed. You could tow a trailer with supplies, fuel, spares, tools, tyres etc and that was it.

The starting point was Sydney Dragway (which unfortunately saw no racing due to massive rain) - before moving onto a track in Barnawartha, then Calder Park, and finally Heathcote Raceway. Plenty of mechanical issues, late nights fixing stuff, road-side repairs, racing damaged cars you name it. It had everything from 8 second to 11 second road registered cars.

To stay competitive, you had to make every track and run a pass, then hand in the time-slips, which would then be averaged out to determine the winners. So reliability and consistency tend to be more important than running the ultimate fastest time.

4 categories-

Outlaw Blown (tyres wider than 275 and with forced induction)

Outlaw Aspirated (tyres wider than 275, naturally aspirated)

Radial Blown (tyres 275 or less, with forced induction)

Radial Aspirated (tyres 275 or less, naturally aspirated)

I don't buy Street Machine all the time these days, but this issue is a must read for drag racing fans.

Terry Seng was the hot favourite leading into the event (with the white VC Commodore running the twin turbo 6.0L V8), but he didn't have a smooth event. He did run the lowest E.T. of 8.31 @ 171 MPH, but overall averaged 9.01.

Quentin's fastest run was an 8.59 @ 161 MPH, and overall average of 8.73. Unreal! I won't go into all the details of the other cars, but there were some awesome stories and times. 17 entrants all up for the first event (which was actually kept fairly secret and was strictly invite only).

I can see this growing into a massive and very popular event in Australia.

For those fellow Torana fans who are interested, Quentin's LH is running a twin turbo LS3, 2 spd glide, 2,500 stall, & 3.25 Trutrac. It's an awesome combo!

Here's a YouTube video I found....

https://www.youtube....h?v=uY5WaX5GBQ4

Cheers.

#2 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for sharing great concept having to drive between strips is a great challenge

#3 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

I agree, it's a great idea. However, in my opinion, these are not street cars and are lucky to have made it without being put off the road. I have seen the Torana your talking of and it is awsome, but not a street car. This doesn't take away from what they were able to acomplish, a lot of "street" cars won't make it as they have, so well done to them all, especially your mate.

Again, just my opinion.

#4 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:57 AM

Yeah awesome event. Ive had a few chats with Carolyn who drives the Blue Hatch. It was such a secretive event to evade the police unnecessarily targeting them and now because it was such a success with no issues and cops didnt even know it happened so hopefully next year there can be spectating and promoting it.

She took a brand new motor on a 2000+km run in towing a trailer and run a 9 second pass N/A. Awesome stuff.

#5 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

I agree, it's a great idea. However, in my opinion, these are not street cars and are lucky to have made it without being put off the road. I have seen the Torana your talking of and it is awsome, but not a street car. This doesn't take away from what they were able to acomplish, a lot of "street" cars won't make it as they have, so well done to them all, especially your mate.
Again, just my opinion.

Read the build of Terry Sengs VC. That is a 100% street legal, engineered car. Even running the destroked 5.3 LS to legally engineer the turbos.

#6 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

Fair enough Mich, I will try and get the detail.
Please note, I don't mean ny disrespect with my comment.

Again, nothing but my opinion, deffinately not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way.

But as you said though, they kept it secret from the police, why? If they are legal street cars, there would be no need to hide.

#7 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

Nah its all good. Theres definately cars that arent 100% but these are drag cars and amongst the safest vehicles in the world. Its the crappy laws that are the problem. All the reports ive heard from it, no-one was speeding, no burnouts or hooning, just a bunch of like minded people with the utmost respect for cars.

I guess the issue with the police wasnt the odd RBT. In a perfect world they could tell the police it was happening and the cops would say ok be safe, we will stop you if theres trouble. But it would more likely lead to a RTA/Defect set up purely because they are headed that way to try and make some money.

The fact there was not a single incident and Australias fastest cars were together on one road and there was no speeding, accidents or hooning can only do good for car enthusiasts IMO. the police didnt even know they were there.

#8 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

Awesome idea alright. I have seen plenty of drag week in the U.S and its great to see something like this here.

Hopefully the event becomes an event where anyone can enter their car and have a go at it. You can bet if it wasn't secretive there would have been a roadworthy checkpoint somewhere along the trip that would have been checking these cars, but then again if they're street legal then they would have nothing to worry about.

#9 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

Maybe next year can start with an inspection by the authorities to confirm the cars are indeed currently conforming with requirements for road use? A "no penalty" inspection conducted in consultation with the RTA? This would help cement the credibility of the event as a street car event.

#10 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

Agree with rexy.

If it's more about reliability and consistency then there's no reason the cars couldn't be be totally legal. I know the Yanks run the gauntlet on their Drag Week with totally illegal cars but there's no reason we have to do the same.

#11 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

The car club I'm in looked at hiring the local drag strip for a club day but apparently now that its under the control of ADRA its not possible/practical

#12 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

Whilst some of the cars involved in this event are probably close to 100% legal, I would agree that the majority are probably far from it.

I don't tend to get involved in those discussions too much though regarding street cars and road worthiness - we all know that 90% of muscle cars I'm general could most likely be put off the road very easily if we threw the the rule book at them, my car included.

I just like the concept of drag week in general, I think mostly because it eliminates the genuine trailer queen cars - and shows that some 'drag cars' can still be 'streetable'. But street legal, I agree - of course they're not. All in good fun!

Sometimes it's just fun to try and push the limits a little bit :)

Edited by LXCHEV, 20 December 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#13 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

I agree with all the above, and i didnt mean to turn the direction of the thread.

I bought the SM magazine so I will reading the article a little later

#14 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:58 PM

Points for both sides of the argument. I laugh when I go to the strip and watch a 'street meet' and 90% arrive on trailers. That being said I love watching fast cars. Registered or not.
As for the yanks speed week. Fr0ck knows how they get away with that lol

#15 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Yeah i like Street cars. Legal? Well the laws are stupid so the way i see it is if your car could complete the 2000km journey and run some passes, thats a street car.

America is very relaxed unless your being a dick in the vehicle. I followed a 69 Camaro from Huntington beach to Pomona (around 40 miles i think) to a car show. The thing had huge full slicks , parachute and wheelie bars on it. Apparantly street car lol

#16 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

Haha yeah. I can't even go 200klms on a tank or fuel so I'm screwed

#17 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:08 PM

Agree, the yanks have gone to another whole level of extreme, lol.

Hey Grant, I don't think you've turned the direction of the thread at all mate, it's a big part of the topic and makes for good discussion.

At the moment, this Aussie event seems to be more about fun, mateship, the journey, and I guess a little big about bragging rights - with very little financial reward or motivation. From what I've heard the yanks are heavily driven by prizemoney (but I could be wrong). I hope the Aussie version remains low key and casual.

#18 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

Thats what the Aussie car scene should be. Mateship, common passion, bit of fun. I just want to be a spectator!

#19 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Well I just read the article. I want in! It probably means I need to go faster as it has a 12:0 cut off and my best is a 12:08. So I may need to adjust things, but I will certain,y send off an email today.

Your on the money too. Seems everyone loved the road trip and the racing nothing but a backdrop, well sorta.

Seems everyone had fun and wants to do it again, regardless of the issues they had

#20 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

Would be a blast for sure.  And I would just make the category too LOL....As for legal, I am a bit on the noisy side otherwise fully engineered :-)

#21 MictheAussie

MictheAussie

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Name:Mic
  • Car:LJ

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

Agree, the yanks have gone to another whole level of extreme, lol.

Hey Grant, I don't think you've turned the direction of the thread at all mate, it's a big part of the topic and makes for good discussion.

At the moment, this Aussie event seems to be more about fun, mateship, the journey, and I guess a little big about bragging rights - with very little financial reward or motivation. From what I've heard the yanks are heavily driven by prizemoney (but I could be wrong). I hope the Aussie version remains low key and casual.

If a Dickies jacket is big prize money then the guys over here are guilty of that. They race Dragweek for just that. A jacket and bragging rights.
Also, all cars are street legal. In that all you need in most states in the US are working lights, wipers and a horn. Oh and no tint on the side windows. Haha.

#22 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

all you need in most states in the US are working lights, wipers and a horn.

If you have a look on Youtube re: Larry Larson's Nova (2012 Drag Week), he doesn't have any wipers.

The video opens with him driving along the freeway in heavy rain, no wipers there. He must use Rain-X.

Dr Terry

#23 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

LOL, scary!

Interesting to hear the yanks only race for bragging rights too, I'm surprised!

#24 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

Wouldnt stop you entering though! Its known worldwide and to be the winner of drag week would be pretty awesome!

#25 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

The Yanks do worry about the legality side of things very much. And the cars are generally far from street legal.

I watched maybe this years Drag Week recently and I think it was Freiburger asked one of the top running guys why he was worried about being pulled over by the cops and he looked at him like he was a fr0ckin idiot and said something like "Why do you think ?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users