1972 South Pacific Touring Cars R2 Warwick Farm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

I hope you enjoy ........   :)    seems Chrysler had their alloy wheels before Holden & Ford ....

Edited by ChaosWeaver, 06 January 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#2 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

Great stuff. How good do those cars sound!

#3 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

i'll have to save that one. I didn't think the LJ XU1s' were that competitive. You can see how the e-38s' struggled with there 3 speed gear boxes.

Regards

#4 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

you can see right there, that no amount of power would help a Monaro or a Falcon when it gets to the twisty stuff against a well tuned Torana XU-1 ....  That's why they are the Original Giant Killer ..............   :search:

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

i'll have to save that one. I didn't think the LJ XU1s' were that competitive. You can see how the e-38s' struggled with there 3 speed gear boxes.

Regards

The XU-1s were at their most competitive in the 1972/73 seasons. On the twisty tracks like this one they had it to themselves & they even won Bathurst in 1972. An XU-1 was leading & should have won Bathurst in 1973 also, had it not been for a bad fuel call.

The 3-sp box in the Chargers was fine. As you can hear in the audio of that Warwick Farm race, they were basically a 4-sp box with no 1st gear. So in reality only off the start were they disadvantaged, at all other points around the track they had essentially the same 2-3-4 gearing as the Toranas & Falcons.

The comment on the factory alloys is correct. The Charger had alloy wheels since day 1 (1971) but the Toranas & Falcon didn't get theirs until July/August 1972.

Dr Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users