Generally accepted process for rust removal, and protection of metal till paint

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

i know this has been asked and answered, BUT it seems there are a hundred different answers.

so here is an "example" i would like answered,

via a general consensus as being a "standard" good way, by any panel beaters/restorers/painters etc.

i am restoring my car 77 torana.

i am NOT cutting back the whole car to bare metal.

and, it may take me months before i paint my car,

and

it is in somewhat open air, (but under cover.)

so,

is this what i am to do?

1. wire brush/sand off rusted areas back to bare metal.

2. apply rust converter,

3. sand again? (what grit?)

4. apply rust converter again?

5. sand again (what grit?)

6. apply etch primer (1 or two coats?)

7. sand again (what grit?)

8. apply a primer

9. something else, or ready to be left till paint?

please add or remove any steps as needed.

----------------

secondly.. for areas i cannot get to...

um,

1.drill holes/squeeze between panels and spray (or pour.. or ??) some type of 

...fish oil?

...rust converter?

..or  ???..

to coat/protect the inside of sills and panels from further rust.

----------------

lastly...

what brands are GENERALLY ACCEPTED as "good" basic products for each of these processes?

(not the most expensive, please. just general products well known)

-------

any/all advice would be much much appreciated :) .

#2 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

still hoping to get advice on " common standard process" :)

zIMAG1356.jpg

because i have now exposed this bare metal

zIMAG1378.jpg

and, either it's supposed to take half an hour to do a square in.. or i'm using the wrong tool on my drill.

(would not surprise me!)

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

I would do one section at a time and as for steps in sanding and when to apply what and when???
FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDATIONS AND/OR INSTRUCTIONS or speak with your automotive paint supplier.

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

Im no spray painter but etch primer would be the go on bare steel
could be wrong though

#5 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

cheers fellas :)
and you were right about the etch primer as a good anti rust till paint choice.

reading threads am aware there are many varied personal choices that are preferred, but got a response am choosing to go with, 
re posting here for other people searching the subject if they choose to use.
thanks all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people will have many & varied opinions on this subject, but I'll offer mine if it helps.
Once I've removed any & all paint, primer & body filler back to steel, I'll metal finish any repairs as best as possible. That means dress up any dents & weld in any repair sections needed.

I guide coat bare metal panels with GMH black & run a speed file with P120 to assist me in finding high & low spots in the panel.

I also trial fit each panel to maintain fit & alignment during the repair process. Nothing worse than welding a lower section on a guard, then finding out after it has been painted that it doesn't line up properly.

Once I'm happy with the metal finish of the panel, the next step will be to treat the bare steel with a acid based rust remover such as deoxidine. Use a Scotchbrite pad soaked in deoxidine  to scrub the panel. Before it dries, wipe off with a damp rag, followed by a clean dry rag.

Using compressed air, blow the panel off dry & using dry P240, sand the panel to remove the deoxidine residue film. Wipe over panel with white spirits & dry clean rag, the apply a epoxy urethane or etch primer. This will seal the panel from airborne moisture. I apply any body filler over the top of the etch primer, after "keying" it with P180 or P240 dry sand paper.

Once I've finished any filler work, I apply another coat of epoxy primer followed by three to four coats of high build primer. This will seal the panel & repairs, I've left panels like this for a few months at a time, but keep them away from moisture as primers are porous, designed to "soak" up the top coats, so will soak moisture too.

I've left fully primed cars for up to twelve months before blocking & painting, but again, keep them in a dry enviorment away from moisture.

Once the whole car is in primer, I generally prep the apertures for paint & "edge" them out in the final top coats before fitting the panels back to the car.
I guide coat the whole car & block back the exterior with all panels on. Once I've finished blocking the exterior, I use a damp rag to wipe over each panel to check for straightness etc.
If all checks out OK, the car is ready to be masked & top coat painted.

Some points to remember, don't leave deoxidine treated panels for long before applying etch primer. Make sure to remove the filmy residue it leaves completely.

Cleaniness is very important, primers & paint won't stick to dusty or dirty panels, the more effort you put into the initial preparation, the better the final product will be.

Finish off any body filler as smooth as possible. I generally finish off with P240, no coarser than P180. Any coarser, the primers can "sink back"  over time highlighting the sanding scratches.

I also use guide coats when blocking body filler as you would when blocking primers.

I only use prepsol for cleaning panels prior to painting. keep it away from body filler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Have heard of people leaving panels after being treated with phosphoric for long time (under cover) and then rubbed back,cleaned with whatever (acetone or similar) then being etched,and in some cases have been left in etch for years. 

Edited by EunUCh, 10 January 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

2k epoxy's are waterproof, so yeah, can leave them for ages ^

Just to clarify, that artical is talking about a 2k epoxy "etch" (not really an etch), as opposed to the 1k epoxy etches you can get. 

These are not similar, you cannot do polyester work over a 1k epoxy and it is not waterproof. 

Also, your using the wrong tool, get a wire buff wheel on a 4 or 5" angle grinder :D

Cheers. 

#8 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

Also, your using the wrong tool, get a wire buff wheel on a 4 or 5" angle grinder :D

Cheers. 

thank gosh.. HAD to be a better/tried way!

f@#kn grief is the tool i've been using. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users