• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:25 PM

So he sold parts to them knowing they were getting rebirthed
Awesome

WhiteA9X and John Gong are 100% correct. Aldo had nothing to do with those rebirthed cars. He has helped many people on and off this forum with information and the selling of parts for restoration projects.

Gene, do you ask people if the parts you are selling them will be used on a rebirth or a fake genuine car? I suspect the thought does not cross your mind.

Edited by S pack, 27 October 2020 - 09:32 PM.

#352 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:31 PM

Gene struggles to string a sentence together. 

#353 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:48 PM

Gene,

Told me that my $150 pair of LC 2 door rear side windows were being sent to his Brother-in-law.

Sounds OK to me.  :clap:  :spoton:

#354 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:20 PM

Gene struggles to string a sentence together. 

You are a moron aren't you Skap

Gene,

Told me that my $150 pair of LC 2 door rear side windows were being sent to his Brother-in-law.

Sounds OK to me.  :clap:  :spoton:

And you're not to far behind him

WhiteA9X and John Gong are 100% correct. Aldo had nothing to do with those rebirthed cars. He has helped many people on and off this forum with information and the selling of parts for restoration projects.
Gene, do you ask people if the parts you are selling them will be used on a rebirth or a fake genuine car? I suspect the thought does not cross your mind.

As for you haven't you got some numbers to go and crunch
honesty

#355 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:39 PM

And you're not to far behind him

Was only trying to help Gene  :ph34r:

#356 v6 torana

v6 torana

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:Peter

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:56 AM

I personally feel that such a good news story deserves the story posted as opposed to a simple link.  But guessing such good stories would be few and far and between.  

Story as best I could copy and paste

Pink Torana again after it was stolen in 1992, but dogged detectives cracked the case almost three decades later.
Brianna Travers, Herald Sun

A revhead has been reunited with her treasured pink racing car almost three decades after a brazen car rebirthing syndicate stole it from her driveway.

Rally car driver Carol Richards’ Pink 1973 GTR XU1 Holden Torana was stolen from her Burwood home in 1992
A meticulous police investigation led the iconic Australian car dubbed “Sexy Lexy” — after its number plate LEX-900 — being returned to her on Tuesday after 28 years.

Ms Richards, 73, had “pretty much lost all hope” on finding the car she had raced at Bathurst, Sandown and Phillip Island, but was awe-struck when detectives called her.

“My mouth dropped wide open, I thought, you’re having me on — it was exhilarating,” Ms Richards said.

“The first thing I did was walk in and kiss it. I got weepy for a little while. Maybe it has a homing pigeon under the bonnet.”

Detective Senior Constable Brett Florence from the Vehicle Crime Squad said he was “elated” to have cracked the case.

“She was rapt, just over the moon,” Det Florence said.

“This car was stolen from Carol nearly three decades ago and I don’t think a day has gone by that she hasn’t wished for a miracle that it be found.

Revhead reunited with Holden Torana 28 years after it was stolen

“It is a really good thing we have found it and been able to return it to her. It is really unusual in these circumstances to recover a car stolen in 1992, it is unique.

“Cars are a great thing if you appreciate them.”

The complex investigation found several stolen vehicles were modified and upgraded into high performance muscle cars, which were then sold off as genuine.

An unsuspecting buyer purchased Carol’s car between 2008 and 2011.

A Parkville man aged in his 50s was charged with making false documents, including perjury and deception offences in relation to the rebirthing syndicate.

He was sentenced to two years imprisonment and ordered by the court to pay $560,000 in restitution to the victim who had unwittingly purchased the vehicles from him.

While the case went through the court Carol dressed in Pink to represent her love for “Sexy Lexy”.

Although it set her back $15,000 in the 70s, it would sell for roughly $140,000 today — but Ms Richards vows the beloved heirloom will stay in the family.

But first, she wants to make up for lost time and race the car again once it is roadworthy

Victorian grandmother reunited with stolen pink Holden Torana 28 years on

https://thenewdaily....ana-car-stolen/

https://www.facebook...95160541307189/

#357 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:29 AM

As for you haven't you got some numbers to go and crunch
honesty

Did you mean honesty or honestly?

Edited by S pack, 28 October 2020 - 06:29 AM.

#358 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:00 AM

WhiteA9X man I notice you said he came looked at a car with one of the guilty parties in this scam,,, but mate all the stories I'm hearing is he is working with the detective whom solved the case, they call him in to do all the checks.

Anyways back on topic, its great to see the old girl got sexy back.

Cheers gong

#359 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:54 AM

I am betting it will be up for sale before Christmas.

#360 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

WhiteA9X man I notice you said he came looked at a car with one of the guilty parties in this scam,,, but mate all the stories I'm hearing is he is working with the detective whom solved the case, they call him in to do all the checks.

Anyways back on topic, its great to see the old girl got sexy back.
Cheers gong

Happy ending Gong , moral of the story don,t frock with tags .

#361 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:38 AM

So it was stolen, cut up to drag, sold, reshelled & rebuilt to be a XU-1 again, sold again, now returned to original owner?
Im sure there's frOck all on it that's original anymore from when the original owner had it. I feel she should get the tags & chassis number, if original, then the poor bugger that bought it in good faith should have the car.

#362 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:33 AM

I think he got (some of) the money from the fine Tony.

Edited by Shiney005, 28 October 2020 - 11:34 AM.

#363 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:06 PM

I was talking to an old m8 today. He's straight as an arrow & as honest as the day is long .

He buys an eeaich , regoed & clear for 12k a few years back . Changes the rego into his name & starts to enjoy Eeaich life.

Knock on the door about 6mths later & a detective says they believe his now complete car was stolen 12 years earlier . Ummmm.

Ironically he was pulled over by the police on his journey home after buying it, at a fuel stop. He says they went over it with a fine toothed comb 

He has copies of payment , bank transfer etc , rego is in his name . Nothing to hide. "Can you bring the car to "X" so our squad can take a look "?

Ummmm ....... No! 

Turns out that Grandma topped herself in the car. It was pushed somewhere in the yard & years later it 'mysteriously' disappeared ( or so they say ). Couldn't even produce an expired rego cert , proof of ownership or even an old rego number . But it must be ours because it's grey !  

Both offspring are married /involved with the Force.  Hmmmmm . Qld coppers to the rescue !

Old m8 decides to fight it.  Gets adjourned a few times ( cost cost ) then finally gets a court date to have the case heard . His legal says , "Have you got 16K to continue"?  Win , loss . draw you still pay.

Old m8 does the math. Paid 12k for the car , 5k in legals + 3k in repairs . Another 16k & it's time to wave the white flag . 

Now here's the relevant bit . The seller bought the car from a 'friend'  who in turn bought it from a local panelbeater , who is known to police . Possibly from previous dealings ? How this guy gained custody of the vehicle is a mystery because when asked he lawered up. Not enough evidence . Can't be charged . 

I'm not suggesting that the panel beater guy is a thief . Nobody in the game could remember every car they ever painted . At some point he possibly flipped a grey Eeaitch . Who knows ? Did he drag it out of a paddock in outback ? Did he buy it ? Is it even the same car ???  Why was it registered for the past 10 years without issue ? 

I'm always glad to see a stolen car back with their owner .

Unfortunately the loser is seldomly the perpetrator. 

I'll wait &see if the restitution is actually paid . 

#364 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:22 PM

I bought a Motor,

and when I later got pulled over,

the Cops said I had a stolen Motor and will have to pay for compensation etc etc and locked me in a cell :lol:

After the Dee's check me out with questions etc etc,

We all went around to said place undercover,

only to find out, that the stolen motor was the V8 after the 6 was taken out,

so I got let off. :spoton:

#365 GM5735

GM5735

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name:Geoff

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:08 PM

Seems to be a lot of pussyfooting around here.

The facts are that two individuals, both previously named in this thread, have been separately convicted of obtaining property by deception in the Victorian County Court, specifically by faking XU1s.
In the usual manner of such things, one obtained a lighter sentence by agreeing to testify against the other.

Pretty simple really, and a matter of public record.

#366 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 01:24 PM

Is it public knowledge who the two persons are? If so who?

#367 Kevrev

Kevrev

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:73 LJ GTR, 77 LX SS 253 Manual
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

Victorian County Court rulings are very interesting reading, particularly September 2020 and September 2018

http://www6.austlii....s/vic/VCC/2020/

http://www6.austlii....s/vic/VCC/2018/

#368 v6 torana

v6 torana

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:Peter

Posted 31 October 2020 - 03:30 PM

Victorian County Court rulings are very interesting reading, particularly September 2020 and September 2018

http://www6.austlii....s/vic/VCC/2020/

http://www6.austlii....s/vic/VCC/2018/

The Summary of Prosecution Opening Plea on September 2020 gives comprehensive and documented overview of what took place. Interesting that the "Sexy Lexy" Pink XUI that has been all over the news in the last few days is included in Summary of Prosecution Opening Plea as being a Genuine May 72 LJ XUI when stolen and re birthed as Sept 72 LJ XU1. There were 3 other Toranas that were not genuine XU1'S and rebirthed as XU1'S.

#369 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:25 PM

Those of you who are old enough will remember there was a VicRoads scam a few years back where a VicRoads insider allowed rebirthed cars to be knowing reregistered by their crooked mates.

I had the misfortune to buy one of them, a “VX Berlina”.

Attached File  52E1DF07-BF3C-4BA9-A3FA-193E93506AD2.jpeg   875.65K   4 downloads

The price was certainly right and it passed the revs checks etc before I bought it. Even paid the $10 for the proper certificate.

Fortunately for me it was stolen two nights after I did the deal. No doubt it was by the guy I bought it off.

Insurance paid me out and fortunately I hadn’t transferred the rego yet so I didn’t end up out of pocket.

I only found out many months later when I got a call from the investigating officer. I told him the details and was even able to give him the stub of the bank cheque I paid “Sam” with. Turns out he was a dodgy Lebbo from coburg. In my defence I thought he was an honest Greek!

I still had the numbers for the car so I did a bit of detective work and it didn’t take long to find out the body was an executive spec build and that the ID it had been given belonged to a burnt out write off.

Im still annoyed that I lost a couple of my favourite Judas Priest CDs when they stole it back.

The worst part of the experience was dealing with the insurance company investigator. Typical burnt out prick ex copper who wrote a report suggesting I was complicit in the theft. The company mustn’t have thought much of him as they paid me out pronto.

A near miss....

#370 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:44 PM

A friend had a part stolen from his xu1 from one of those scums.
He is a xu1 expert but no longer visits forums or provides help to anyone.
Most knowledgeable i have seen on xu1s.

Jason

#371 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 09:17 PM

A friend had a part stolen from his xu1 from one of those scums.
He is a xu1 expert but no longer visits forums or provides help to anyone.
Most knowledgeable i have seen on xu1s.

Jason

:( What did he steal and how?

#372 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:46 AM

Wanted to look at his xu1 build. Friend had to leave him alone for a few minutes and what he could pocket he did. Small rare parts. Xu1 black fuel cap sway bar clamps hand full of clips only for xu1s
Rang him up to bring back items blocked his number.

#373 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

Wanted to look at his xu1 build. Friend had to leave him alone for a few minutes and what he could pocket he did. Small rare parts. Xu1 black fuel cap sway bar clamps hand full of clips only for xu1s
Rang him up to bring back items blocked his number.

Give the number to the cops mate  :furious:  :furious:

RegardSS ....... Barry 

#374 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2020 - 06:40 PM

So both Aldo and Martin get suspended sentences. It would hardly send shivers up the spines of others who are still in the game.

Attached File  .3.PNG   116.89K   22 downloads

#375 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:15 PM

While on the subject of banned members, is there a similar website to find sentences handed down in NSW? Like at the Newcastle District Court on October 15? (Please don't wave your magic doodle at me Neil)  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users