Victoria Police Vehicle Crime Squad "Cloned Muscle Cars"

• Please log in to reply
442 replies to this topic

#26 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Fully agree. 

Its absolutely impossible, in QLD atleast, to find out if a car is stolen before you buy it. 

This is a big problem that needs to be addressed. 

Cheers. 

#27 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

WOW, put the Toranas aside. I heard the GT's were rife in the late 90's

#28 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

Nothing wrong with a bit "pr" work and self employment and opportunity prospects? ,as long as the job is done in the "right way".

The system  may well be flawed in more ways than one ,but to defend those who that do have an interist in what they buy in good faith 

or otherwise the shit needs weeding out of those who take advantage of those who don't know they spend the $  on ,something that does not

meet the standard of what they shell out for,be that what it may?

if that makes any sense.

#29 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

Good info and fair questions guys.
im sure that this would be, or will end up a national investigation as it is easily known that cars are bought and mived interstate often.

Please, ifnyou have any information, please contact vicpol or crimestoppers as per the original post.

#30 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

Maybe start with a particular 'willow' XU-1. :)

Or a certain White '71 LC Bathurst XU1. :) :)

#31 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

OK VCS....lets see some hard data......what wins have you had?

Lets use this forum as a way of driving out dodgey buggers who prey on the unsuspecting.

Over to you.....

#32 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:11 PM

Col,

I think that if people are going to spend a shed load of money on any car, it really pays for them to get the numbers checked by people that do know what they are talking about.

Above anything, people should not take the word of the seller unless they know that person very well and even so, it would not hurt to get a second opinion.

That was shown with the sale of a certain hatchback recently.

cheers

Mick

#33 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

Col,

I think that if people are going to spend a shed load of money on any car, it really pays for them to get the numbers checked by people that do know what they are talking about.

Above anything, people should not take the word of the seller unless they know that person very well and even so, it would not hurt to get a second opinion.

That was shown with the sale of a certain hatchback recently.

cheers
Mick

Yeah bear in mind that the person you are buying from May have been misled themselves so even if you know and trust them it doesn't hurt to check.

#34 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

for sure Mick.....there are very knowledgeable people on this forum who give their time and info/experience freely. That's great.

My comment related to wishing to see some examples of the buggers getting caught out doing tricky stuff and ripping off fellow enthusiasts.

I'm interested in seeing how ""good"" the faking was.

...although having seen 2 cars at the same place and time , both with the same engine number etc...I have already seen they are pretty good at it.

Maybe a little early in the investigation .

Good luck to the VCS, hope they have a big win.

But must feel a little sorry for the people who bought the cars.....I''m sure they did at least some due diligence on them, before handing over the cash........

Cheers

Col

#35 _Sandpit Daz_

_Sandpit Daz_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

It's good to see that the VIC VPCS on board, as we all know this type of thing has been going on for way too long.

Like many others here, I have been into aussie classic's for as long as I can remember, I bought my first classic some

25 years ago & another about 17 years later. I did research on both cars before selecting which model to buy & then 

researched the history of every car I was interested in before going to see it. I don't think I have anything to worry

about.

I have found myself in a position to be able find another classic & have been disappointed to see how many suspect

cars are out there. But when you see just how many sets of tags with body stamps & or restamped engines are being

advertised for sale it's no wonder it happens, the temptation can be too much for some people it would seam.

Without doubt this forum has saved me lots of time & money recently for which I say thanks, you have been a great

help. I am under the impression the info on suspect cars in the records of this site is far more useful than what can be

found easily through our government departments.

I'm very interested to see what the out come of the rebirthing ring will be, but as they say it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Surely they were not the only people doing this type of thing, all be it may be on a smaller scale. 

Good luck with the investigation, I hope the penalties will discourage others from this sort of thing.

#36 _TBKXU1_

_TBKXU1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

I can add to this topic, having had personal experience with the VCS a couple of years ago when they were investigating a number of cases of fraud by one individual, involving Toranas - covering XU1s, L34s and A9X's, which included some Grp C cars. Without going into the gory details, an XU1 of mine had passed through that persons hands, so was thoroughly investigated by VCS. The findings were the car was genuine, but the block was a JL restamped as a JP, with the same number (car was purchased well before the GMH build data became available - today thats one of my first checks!), so the change wasn't apparent until the VCS went to town on it. In that regard I was one of the lucky ones - other cars had major issues with what was represented vs. how they actually left the factory. 

The case did go to court, the VCS did a great job putting the case together, and their investigation included working interstate examining cars and conducting interviews. For those people concerned that their cars will be seized if found to be fraudulent, to the best of my knowledge everybody retains possession of the cars concerned, and they are now able to take civil action to recover their losses from the prick who built them. I still have the JL block, and if I want to use it will get a Vic Police number on it. 

So in summary was very happy with the dealings with these guys, and pretty happy with the outcome too.

#37 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

Welcome Aboard VCS.

Regards John.

#38 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

VCS have been in contact with those "in the know" for ages getting assistance and info about suspect cars, they have caught some crooks and will catch more I'm sure.

ck1971.

#39 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

www.examiner.com.au/story/182035/jail-for-falcon-seller/?cs=95

Don't muck around in Tasmania when it happens in the Apple Isle, and it was only one car.

Edited by xu2308, 19 January 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#40 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

Wow he agreed to pay out over $170k ! Guess you need money to be bodgy hey :)

#41 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

That bloke deserves a longer sentence than 3 months.

#42 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:12 PM

He got 12 months but he only had to do 3 months as the rest was suspended, I reckon cause he agreed to pay the loot back what saved him you would think.

#43 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

Sent 2 emails to WA crime stoppers about a fake L34 being sold on a australia wide site no action done and i was quite specific on details included phone no of guy who destroyed original L34 tag when he car rebodied the car but a remade tag that was not correct and then nearly 28 years later car sold as genuine car for 130g. I have since met the person who bought the car and informed him but sometimes people stay quite because afraid of admitting they were duped.

#44 _djconner74_

_djconner74_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

well this is some news. Just before xmas i was contacted by the VCS (victorian police Vehicle Crime Squad) asking about my mothers 1972 LJ GTR-XU1 that was stolen a number of yrs ago. They took alot of info from both myself and my mother. They informed us that they will get back to us. 

We only hope that they can track down the car after so many yrs and that the info supplied by us will help further their investigation. :clappin:  :clappin:  :clappin:  :clappin:  :clappin:  :clappin:

#45 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:39 AM

I have since met the person who bought the car and informed him but sometimes people stay quite because afraid of admitting they were duped.

Or maybe they don't want anyone to know so if they sell it they mightn't loose their dough. I'm not saying that is the case but it's one possibility.

ck1971.

#46 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,539 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

Or maybe they don't want anyone to know so if they sell it they mightn't loose their dough. I'm not saying that is the case but it's one possibility.

ck1971.

More likely they think the person informing them their 'special car' is not as 'special' as it is supposed to be are full of shite.

#47 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

I've just received this email from the president of the GTR and XU-1 club of QLD. If anyone can help out could you get in contact the pres of the club and he'll put you on to the member concerned.  [email protected]

Thank you. John

Hello members,

I received the following email from one of our members whose car has been impounded due to the fact that it was stolen way back in 1995 - this is a replica XU1 and to correct the situation our member now has to go court and incur approximately another $15000 in legals to try and recover something - if anything - from the vehicle.

Can anybody offer any advice as this is devastating for our member - and probably a good lesson for all members.

If you can help I can put you on to the member concerned.

regards for now

ron.

#48 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

For sale on ebay is a XY GT I.D plate for $200. There is arguments for and against if these should be accessable to sell? What ever the argument at the very least regulate to whom can sell them and whom can purchase them! Some sellers claim for ornamental use only!
Daz M

#49 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

Sorry, correct my self a BLANK XY GT I.D
DazM