CAN I DRIVE MY CAR WITH THE NEW P-PLATE LAWS?

torana v8 laws help blue 308 9 inch diff UC hatchback

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

hey guys, someone just told me that i might not be able to drive my car that ive been working on for about a year now????, what i know so far is that the laws changed on the 1st august 2014 and allowed p'platers to drive cars with a PMR of less than 130, which mine is. BUT... someone was just saying that if the car gets engineered, i cant drive it! !? :( HELP 

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

The state you live in would help as the ruoes vary state to state in a big way.

in qld you are not allowed to drive a car with a performance based md plate like codes la and the like.

Once again, better to make a phone call to ge the correct info than ask here.

#3 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

yeah, i live in nsw and will give them a call :) thanks

#4 _trna76hb_

_trna76hb_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

Get the full name of the person you talk to.

One person might have a different take on it an another. It is a Goverment Dept you know.

ian

#5 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

he did not know much, so he gave me a email and i just emailed the person now... FINGERS CROSSED

#6 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

it also depends on what has been enginnerred, if you got your P's before august 2014 (like I did) and you could drive your car before that date, you are still aloud to drive it,

e.g our hotrod, bedford ute, with VR v6, has a power to weight ratio more of 130 per tonne but since i could drive it before the law changed i can still drive it, and its on street rod rego, and everything is modifid :), being a P plater i looked into this a fair bit and found a few loop holes for us :)

#7 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

i havnt got my p's yet but once i get my car ready ill get them, i got like 110 hours and in no rush to get them cause the torana is the only car i have to drive.. yeah my PMR is fine but i dont know if a engine mod counts as having a new legal motor put into the car...? know any loop holes for that? ;) haha

#8 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

May I offer some advice you probably don't want to hear?

I know patience is not a virtue that P-platers are known for but my advice is to park the Torana up in the shed for twelve months or even a couple of years and go buy something that doesn't attract quite so much attention to get you through your P's.

Several reasons... A V8 Torana wearing P-plates may as well have a huge flashing neon sign on the roof that says "pull me over, officer", if you start out with the Torana then my money says you'll be lucky to keep your licence three months and it'll take you six years to get off your P's.

Secondly, every Aussie male P-plater since the beginning of time has crashed their first car, this is not a reflection on your driving skills, you just can't learn the limit of adhesion until you cross over it. Do you really want that car to be your Torana (I certainly don't).

Plus, when you do crash your first car, you stand a much better chance of living through the experience if you're not doing 130 mph at the time!

#9 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

I dissagree with the above i jist got my full licence and drove my torana for the majority of my p plates never been in a crash and only got pulled up 2 times in it over 3 and a half years and one of those was taking it to get regoed with no plates. As for engineers, drop a hot 6 in which wont need an engineers then an 8 later on.

#10 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

haha bigfella. yeah alot of people have told me what you just did but i already bought it and no have garage at the moment cause were renting... its only blue 308 so not a massive v8, plus its old so wont have as much power as new ones., i like hawks advice better :) haha. and hawk i already need to get the diff, drop tank and brakes engineerd so may as well keep it, plus im too lazy/busy to find a hot 6 and get rid of drop tank. plus it sounds to amazing to let go of the v8... :(

#11 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

Just stay alert on the road and dont do stupid stuff. I thrashed my car a lot and went through 3 gearboxes and 3 diffs which gets expensive. Jist take it to a rwc place and get it checked theu may not evem menion getting it engineered depends where you go i guess

#12 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

yeah, dont worry i will look after my girl, the only thing ill prob do is quick starts at lights haha not into burnouts and all tht stuff. yeah hopefully the place i go is good :0, is yours a 9 inch diff?

#13 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Na i have a standard small salisbury. And the above damage wasnt done by burnouts haha. Either way good luck with ot. Hope you get it going and can drive it.

#14 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

yeah thanks man, you should look into geting 9 inch?

#15 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

A UC with a 308 is going to be cop bait plus with P plates displayed.

I used to drive an LJ with a 138 and I used to get pulled over at least twice a week, in the end I was on P's for 5 years.

I hope you live in a country town or something otherwise your going to be in for a long ride.

#16 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

I dissagree with the above i jist got my full licence and drove my torana for the majority of my p plates never been in a crash and only got pulled up 2 times in it over 3 and a half years and one of those was taking it to get regoed with no plates. As for engineers, drop a hot 6 in which wont need an engineers then an 8 later on.

Doesn't really count because yours was broken half the time lol.

Just kidding mate.

I agree you should get a sh1tter and third party insurance and when you crash it act innocent!

#17 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

haha ok ok guys, i get it, yous obviously dont trust my driving, this post was to see if i would be allowed to drive it haha not should i sell it haha, thanks for the care and stuff but im not getting rid of her.. and when they pull me over i just need to have all my paperwork and everything legal :)

#18 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

No definitely don't sell it, I don't think anyone meant that!

That would be sh1t advice, just ask anyone who's done it!

#19 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

I didn't see where anyone suggested you sell the Torana and I don't know you so I don't know anything about your driving, I'm just saying that young guys have a tendancy to think they're bulletproof and can out-drive Brocky, I've been there and done that myself. Everybody thinks it can't happen to them... until it does.

Anyway, back to the original question, can P-platers drive modified vehicles?

From http://www.rms.nsw.g.../driver/p1.html

Prohibited vehicle conditions apply to provisional licence holders to keep novice drivers safe on our roads.

From 1 August 2014, a high performance vehicle is defined as a vehicle which:

UC Torana's never came out with a V8 option so "old" engine or not, it most definitely has "a significant engine modification",

UC Torana's kerb weight is 1157 kg (source), a "VT" prefix blue 5.0 litre had a rated output of 117 kw (source), so by my calculations:

1.157 x 117 = 135.4 PMR

So modified vehicle debate aside, you're over the limit anyway. I'm sorry that's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Edited by Bigfella237, 21 January 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#20 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

i did heeps of research a while back and spoke to engineer, all the research said it was ok, and i did the canculations and it was well under?, heres a picture of the same motor as mine, is this the one you are talking about?

Attached Files

• Attached File  308.jpg   14.58K   1 downloads

#21 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

and when it says engine modifictaion, isnt that wokring on the engine itself, so as a whole car?

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Under the LA series of codes both engine swaps and modifications are regarded mods. 

Stop kidding yourself, the UC NEVER came from the factory with a 308, so even though its the same basic car as LH/LX, its classed as an engine conversion. 

Seriously, pull it and put a 202 in there. 

#23 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

i did heeps of research a while back and spoke to engineer, all the research said it was ok, and i did the canculations and it was well under?, heres a picture of the same motor as mine, is this the one you are talking about?

The power figure I got was for the standard output blue 5.0 litre ("VT" prefix) from a VC/VH Commodore, not the V5H option ("VZ" prefix), which was the high output blue motor used in HDT and pursuit cars.

I just looked at another website that quoted the standard output blue 5.0 litre at 124 kw, which is higher again.

#24 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

ok so should i sell the blue 308, put a 202 in, BUT, i like the drop tank :(, if i was to sell the drop tank, how much do u think it would go for? and how much could i pick up a normal fuel tank for?? :( my dreams are shatterd :'(

#25 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

You can leave the drop tank with a 202 and why sell the 308? Put it aside for a while then drop it back in, maybe rebuild it while its out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: torana, v8, laws, help, blue 308, 9 inch diff, UC, hatchback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users