#1 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Car:2 lx Hatches and 3 lx 4 doors

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:53 AM

Last week whilst I was coming back from a few days away in my 40 seater/mobile home / bus with the family . I was overtaken by a truck on double white lines going up a blind hill .That was bad enough but it was also a Dangerous Goods vehicle .Rang the company whom runs the truck and let them know what happened .Now they are doing their investigation .It will be most certain that the driver isn't going to say he did it so I am in the need for a dash cam .Any one on here using dash cams ?Need to get a couple for my vehicles and am hoping to get some ides of what to purchase ,

Thanks

Bernie

Edited by Bernie, 31 January 2015 - 02:55 AM.

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

I have one 

Its just a cheap one but it has 2 cameras so you can record whats going on behind as well as infront as lots of shit happens behind you that you might one day need the footage for

Can certainly be helpful in an insurance claim

Can also be helpful against wrongful speeding fines too if you get one thats GPS enabled too so it records your speed and location

Better cameras cost more money... so get the best you can afford for better vision

https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/

https://dashcamsaust.../mini-0803-gps/

Mines abit like this one

http://www.ebay.com....=item1e9092fe47

#3 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

What's the footage quality like at night?

#4 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

I got a couple of cheapies off of eBay for under $20 each delivered, but you get what you pay for.

They do the job, and night vision is Ok as far as I can remember, but they don't have any of the GPS or rear facing options that the expensive ones have.

#5 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

What's the footage quality like at night?

Actually never checked it

Infact haven't had to really look at any of the footage since I haven't crashed into anything yet

#6 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Be careful. You are of course recording your own actions as well and none of us are perfect.
Be a shame if it were subject to subpoena and you were hoisted by your own petard!

#7 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

Be careful. You are of course recording your own actions as well and none of us are perfect.
Be a shame if it were subject to subpoena and you were hoisted by your own petard!

Yeah you need a quick erase button for such occasions.

#8 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:23 PM

I agree in the case of an accident, and if a nimrod almost harmed your family.

However.......... What are we turning into, a bunch of dibba dobbers? Not me!!

#9 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

I agree in the case of an accident, and if a nimrod almost harmed your family.

However.......... What are we turning into, a bunch of dibba dobbers? Not me!!

That fur king jockey needs to be taken OFF the road imho and going to his company is the right thing to do especially if you had video of it

OK, so nothing happened but what if it did and you and your family were wiped out or seriously hurt because a truckie was trying to make a dead-line  :wtf:  That's right, it would be a DEAD-line

BTW, if some idiot "nearly" causes an accident and it scares the bejusus out of you, don't bother to go and see the cops with the video of the incident as they do not want to know about it "unless" you have been in an accident 

That's according to our local police

Barry

#10 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:38 AM

As I said, in the case of nearly taking out your family, I AGREE.

Where and what is your point?

#11 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

If I owned a business and one of my employees was driving like and idiot representing my company. I would want to know.

#12 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Name:Keith
  • Car:Monaro

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

www.streetguardian.info

I have 2 of his early camera's. One I took back after 18 months and he is replacing a bulged battery. I don't expect he will charge me. This bloke is in Sydney and when he get's them made, they are made to his specs.

In regards to dobbing, I don't see it that way. I reported a government bus driver for going through a red light. It was red before he approached, and he still went through it. I said to the girl on the line that if he isn't taken to task, I would put the video on youtube, as the footage clearly showed the red light, the bus and registration number.

A few things. You turn off the speed recording on the cam, have the date and time turned on, GPS turned on and reading if it is equipped, voice recording turned on, and if you want to hard wire the cam, there is a Gforce knock sensor that will start recording for 5 minutes or so if the car is knocked while you are away, capturing the dope who hit your car. Also, if you brake very heavy, emergency braking, footage from 30 odd seconds prior to you braking to some minutes after is automatically saved, for future use. In regards to turning your speed off, if push comes to shove, the police can work out your speed from the footage, so if there is a question of speed involved, they can work it out.

Whenever you get pulled up for breath testing etc, you must tell them you are recording their voice on dash cam. If you don't, the recording can't be used if something goes to court.

The dash cam guy I only know through a forum I'm on, but he knows his stuff, unlike the shops that retail this stuff. Picture quality, night and day is very important. Hope that helps. 

#13 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:27 AM

Oh, forgot to mention that it can also back you up if you leave your car for repair/servicing and it is abused while the apprentice takes it out for a joy ride or the car is used to pick up parts etc while at the service shop.

#14 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback .Looking into a couple of units atm .Need 12/24v so will find that out as well .The truck being  a DG vehicle there are a few more people taking notice as to the outcome of it all .Now having a bike or car go around you  like what happened is one thing  but  a semi with DG (acid in this case) really needs to be sorted out . We all really need to be comfortable about thinking that there won't be a vehicle on the wrong side of the road just over the crest of a hill .

Cheers

#15 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

Hi Bernie

http://www.streetguardian.info/

See how that goes. I tried a copy and paste of the url, but it seems this site doesn't allow the paste. The fellows name is Rick. If you want anymore info, just let me know.

So far I have caught on camera:

The bus just the other week, a woman in a Prado too busy on her mobile swerve into my lane of oncoming traffic and nearly collide into the car in front of me, a commodore which was in a hit and run into a couple of other cars minutes earlier come towards me with headlights hanging out etc but the number plate was smashed up couldn't read the numbers.

Cheers

Keith

#16 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

This is what the screenshots look like off the camera. it's a couple of years old.

Attached Files

#17 Bernie

Bernie

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Can't argue with that pic

Bernie

#18 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:04 PM

I was watching a show on dash cams and they said a wide field of vision was a must as some cams have a very narrow film view and don't capture what you need.

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Whenever you get pulled up for breath testing etc, you must tell them you are recording their voice on dash cam. If you don't, the recording can't be used if something goes to court.

Sure about that?

The QPS recently came out and said that they have no issue with people filming/recording police during the course of there duties whether the police are informed or not. 

I doubt other states would have differing views. 

Cheers. 

#20 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

If you record a persons voice over the phone etc, you must inform them you are recording them. I work in government, and when ringing other departments, there is a message prior to the ringing that informs the person their conversation will be recorded. Same as the "for quality and coaching purposes, your call maybe recorded" message when you ring insurance companies etc. Under the law in NSW, you have to tell the person you are recording the conversation. When you get pulled up by the highway boys here, they tell you "you are being recorded" before any further conversation takes place. I assume, the reverse is opposite. You record them and I feel you must inform them.  I surely would inform them, although I don't try to enter into arguements with them, but you may get a rude cowboy copper, and I wouldn't want to ruin my chance of taking action against him if I needed to, by not telling him he is being recorded.

What you talk of bomber, I believe, is those filming police with mobiles etc, and the police seeing it is being done. They then are aware of it.

I'm no expert here, maybe I should not have said you must inform them, but I only thought the same rule applies as for recording phone conversations.

Cheers

Keith 

#21 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

AFAIK any video or audio footage taken in a public place is the copyright and property of the person recording it. 

Items, persons or discussions captured remain the copyright and property of the person recording. 

This is how newspapers and news shows get away with recording people leaving the court house etc, you cannot ask them to delete the footage as it is there property. Also how newspapers and news shows get away with playing footage caught on CCD or on phones, as permission is granted to them to use the footage by the owner of the footage, not by the person being recorded. 

A vehicle is regarded as a public place, at least in QLD. Hence you can get fined for drinking in public if you have an empty stubby floating around in the passenger side footwell of your car here. Its also classed as public nudity if you drive your car naked, etc. 

So i see no difference to having a recording device going in a vehicle, regardless of if your driving along the road or pulled up by the cops, than having one going standing on the side of the road. 

So if its perfectly fine and legal, I cant see why such a thing wouldn't be usable in the court of law. 

I agree it could probably help in court if you go out of your way to inform the officer.

But, and this is the big but, most police officers wear at least audio recording devises now days. Again, in QLD. I have never heard one say "you are being recorded"

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 01 February 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#22 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

Good point. Never thought about some of those things you have raised. Wife was pulled over in Holbrook NSW and few years ago. The copper, before saying anything else, said " I must inform you our conversation is being recorded and the stop video'd". I'll have to look into it a little more.

Cheers

Keith

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

Thats interesting, was it just as they were bringing it out?

Here now days they dont say shit, they just record everything. 

Good way to postpone your court date though, as they never send the recording to you, so a few days before the court date you send them a letter (requiring a signature) asking for any recorded evidence they may have from the event. Takes them a while to get around to it, and legally neither party is allowed to withhold evidence....

Cheers. 

#24 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

Sure about that?

The QPS recently came out and said that they have no issue with people filming/recording police during the course of there duties whether the police are informed or not. 

I doubt other states would have differing views. 

Cheers. 

Little sticker on the car that says "Camera Equipped" or something along those lines might help. Its their fault if they don't see it :)

Put it in the corner of the window viewable by the camera too.

#25 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

What an idea. 

This is why i refer to you as Zen Master. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users