• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:12 AM

10629621_782556885159488_207623971887344

You may know his show Restoring Dreams.

Albeit a Ford man, his restorations were impeccable. I really enjoyed watching his show.

http://www.4me.net.a...am-grand-tourer

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 02 February 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#2 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

RIP
Liked that show a lot.

#3 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Sheesh, only my age too...

#4 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Two years younger than me!

R.I.P.

#5 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Name:Keith
  • Car:Monaro

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:06 PM

Cancer? I watched his shows also.

#6 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

Cancer?

In one of his kidneys I believe.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 03 February 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#7 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Sad news, R.I.P Neil

#8 _flyxu1_

_flyxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

sad news .Will be sadly missed but never forgotten .

RIP

Neil Thompson

#9 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

Sad news indeed, my deepest condolences to the Thompson family. 

R.I.P.

#10 Monaroman

Monaroman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Name:Keith
  • Car:Monaro

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Stephen. He was, no doubt, a talented person. The car community, as well as those who knew him, will miss him dearly.

#11 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

RIP
What an outstanding passion Neil had for perfection, helping others and the community.
Sadly missed

#12 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

RIP Neil

#13 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

R.I.P Neil, makes you really start to think about being here one day and gone the next.

#14 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

makes you really start to think about being here one day and gone the next.

... and a good reminder to get yourself checked. Apparently he only went for a medical as a requirement to go racing when it was detected.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 03 February 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#15 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

Indeed I agree, anybody over the age of 40 should get a colonoscopy once every 5yrs, and a blood test done atleast once a year...

There is also a Gene clinic you can go to who can check your DNA and they can tell you what Cancerous Genes you have and how often you should be checked...

#16 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

Indeed I agree, anybody over the age of 40 should get a colonoscopy once every 5yrs, and a blood test done at least once a year...

I get the yearly blood test. Not 100% sure about the colonoscopy I hear the procedure itself can cause complications

http://www.gutsense....ml#part_1_video

If you have a family history I guess it's a must. Personally I see prevention better than cure, I make sure I get lots of fibre and eat as healthy as possible.

s

#17 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

That is very sad news.

I didn't know Neil, but I enjoyed watching "Restoring Dreams". His enthusiasm and passion for restoring especially Fords made for great TV.

RIP Neil

#18 _Anubis_

_Anubis_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

Tis a shame - sometimes the best leave us way too early

RIP Neil

And strength to his family and loved ones

Chris

#19 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

StephanSLR I've been having colonoscopy's since 33yo and the procedure is straight forward and very safe, you are put to sleep and wake up and it's done, some use a full anastetic which put's you right out ( way I have it done ) and some use a local and that's the risky one as if you move around you can cause yourself damage.

Reason being my older brother got bowel cancer at 28 and past away 18months later, few week's after his 1 and only son was born, by the time he found out he had it he was fairly well advanced and wasn't much they could do, my older sister got crook and lost weight rapidly at the age of 44-45, the bastard bowel cancer as well, she had a third of her bowel removed and chemo and radiotherapy etc and it hasn't came back,  she has yearly colonoscopys and she is now 54 and is feeling fine, my dad passed away from acute lukemia aged 62, mum passed away bowel cancer again aged 59, none of them EVER had colonoscopy's in there life until it was to late, I sure is ain't guna take the risk and wait for that tap on the shoulder to say i'm sorry sir but you have it.

It Can happed to anyone, not just bowel, as an instance the Mrs uncle had a sore throat and like pain in his ear when swallowing, he thought it was an ear infection and tonsilitus, in his 30's mind you, turn's out he had a tumor growing down his throat off the tongue, had to go in and have face mask's etc all made up pretty much immediately, took the chemo and radiotherapy as well which made him start having siezures etc which his never had in his life, they wanted to give him 1 last double dose of chemo which he said no to, and his last checkup last year they said it's gone and he is in remission, and finger's crossed it never comes back, I convinced the Mrs to send the mother in law in colonoscopy after she was having stomach pain and constipation, lt turn's out it was large polyps which is the start of bowel cancer, they are safe in this form, from what I know it's when they pop and become infected that's the beginning of bowel cancer, she just simply had them plucked off and burnt, and now she's fine, just has to have colonoscopy's every 2-3yrs now, very very lucky.

A mate of a mate had kidney cancer, had no idea he had it, only one morning waking up and taking a piss to see blood coming out, Dr's confirmed small mass on kidney, and said we can chop that section off and chemo etc, he goes pigs ass take it out the whole thing, they said relax you don't have to he said mate, it's my frOckin kidney and I want the whole thing removed, his also in remission 5-6yrs no issues anymore.

Luck of the draw I guess, Stress plays a major major part, I could imagine running a successful business like neil he would have had his fair share of very very stressful day's.

I'm going to the Gene clinic in about a month to do a Genes test, then they can tell me what to look out for, IF I have any Cancerous Gene's they said, they said not all are hereditary, but bowel is hereditary and highly preventable and curable if caught in early stages, i'm doing it to put my mind at rest, and for my kids.

#20 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:31 AM

StephanSLR I've been having colonoscopy's since 33yo and the procedure is straight forward and very safe,

I actually recall having something similar as a kid, they pumped in white fluid and x-rayed my bowels, I remember doing white turds for a week, reminded me of dog poos; if you remember the days when they used chalk as filler for dog food and their turds would turn white as they deteriorated.

I was just having a read online last night, some say not to have it with full anaesthetic and I've seen it done on TV and twice the reporters (who were having it done to themselves) chose no anaesthetic but each to their own. 

Luck of the draw I guess, Stress plays a major major part, I could imagine running a successful business like neil he would have had his fair share of very very stressful day's.

I can see stress reducing your immunity if it's prolonged but I don't buy that stress would cause it. They used to think stress caused ulcers until 2 Australian doctors discovered it was a bug. They were laughed at, at first, they couldn't get funding so one of them but the bug in himself, then killed the bug with certain antibiotics, after he came out alright. He then treated patients with ulcers with the same antibiotics and cured their ulcers. These two Dr's won the nobel prize.

Luckily I don't have cancer in the family but that's not to say it won't happen, I do have blood tests yearly and probably would get a colonoscopy if advised by a doctor.

Thanks for your input, sounds like you're doing all the right things.  I read on another forum that Neil had the cancer removed from his kidney then decided to go with alternative medicine, not sure how true it was posted by a forum member.

Steve Jobs also decided on alternative medicine and apparently may still be with us had he gone with conventional medicine early in the diagnosis. Respect to them both; when the time comes I guess everyone has their reasons for their own choice in treatment.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 04 February 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#21 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

I am actually booked in for a colonoscopy next week.  My old man is currently dying of cancer and it all stemed from bowl cancer.  So I am not taking any risks either. Isn't my first one and won't be my last either.  Pretty simple process really.  Except the preparation the day before where you have to empty your bowls.  Not very pleasant I tell you!

Poor Neil was the same age as me so in your 40's it is something to be mindeful of anyway.

#22 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Poor Neil was the same age as me so in your 40's it is something to be mindful of anyway.

Yep and the age for check ups keeps getting younger; I blame all the added chemicals (natural and synthetic) in the processed food we eat, not to mention environmental pollutants.

s

#23 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:53 PM

I was reading on Neil's FB page last night, a message he posted 1st October 2014, he said his oncologist had given him the new's that his Cancer had spread to his lung's and it was terminal...Dr said he could take the chemo and stuff and go for 6 months or if you don't do Chemo you might go 4 month's, He chose the no Chemo...

Apparently Cannabinoids in Cannabis Can cure Cancer I found a ripper video of it but cannot post link's etc

Go on YouTube and type in Cannabinoids Cancer, the video is called " What If Cannabinoids in Cannabis Cured Cancer & other diseases "

How can I post video's or can somebody post it up ??

#24 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

Dr said he could take the chemo and stuff and go for 6 months or if you don't do Chemo you might go 4 month's, He chose the no Chemo...

That makes more sense, there are side effects to chemo such as nausea, etc.

Apparently Cannabinoids in Cannabis Can cure Cancer

I'm not sure if they 'cure' cancer but it is commonly used to ease the side effects of chemo.

This site says 'One study in mice and rats suggested that cannabinoids may have a protective effect against the development of certain types of tumours.'

http://www.cancer.go...fessional/page4

Personally, I wouldn't rely on it as a cure but if I had cancer I'd give anything a go.

s

#25 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

There is 2 video's I want to post but cannot seem to get them to work, 2 on terminal brain cancer patient's but I can't get the link's to work, I can't even get URL's to work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users