Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

I have had no luck trying to find where to route the wiring for the reverse gear switch on my LX.

Can some one post a picture of a factory installed set up please? 

My car is a converted trimatic to M21 so the wiring only goes to the trans tunnel on the inside.

I have the two green wires but need to sort how to get them to the switch, there are no holes in the trans tunnel to run them through.

#2 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

I'll post some pictures of mine tonight.

Gearbox & centre console is out of the car so sould be able to get some good pictures up for you.

Victor

#3 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

Here's one I had on my phone. I put more up later.

Victor

Attached Files

#4 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hey Victor I've got another question for you, any chance you can measure the diameter of the hole as I suspect mine has been made bigger.
Thanks

#5 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

Awesome Victor, have you got any pictures of the inside?

#6 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

Ok here some better pictures

Couldn't check the hole size as the carpet hasn't been up before & you can see how holden sealed the wires.

Wires run from hole close to 45° to top of tunel then go over to foot brake side.

You can see in pictures the plug from the tunel from there they go straight into the loom about 2" above the plug also in the pictures.

Mine is a 1977 V8.

Attached Files

#7 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

Here's a couple more.

Attached Files

#8 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

Looks like that hole has no grommet just a dob of sealer. I thought the rarespares grommet kit had one for the reverse switch wiring but checked the UC parts book and it doesn't list one, couldn't find anything in the LX parts book for the 4sp reverse wiring.

#9 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

One other thing is wire colour light green & dark green. In the pick it looks like the dark green has light green on it, this is because the wires are joint like speaker wire & when pulled apart, part of the light green wire has been left on the dark green wire.

Victor

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:47 PM

Brett, you won't find a listing for the reverse switch wiring grommet in the parts catalogues as they were not serviced separately. The rubber grommet came as part of the reverse switch and lead assy.

Edited by S pack, 23 February 2015 - 11:47 PM.

#11 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:08 PM

Brett, you won't find a listing for the reverse switch wiring grommet in the parts catalogues as they were not serviced separately. The rubber grommet came as part of the reverse switch and lead assy.

Now that makes sense, so I assume they smothered the grommet with sealer by the looks of Victor's pics and I can see the remains of sealant on mine but no grommet..

I suspect my hole may be the correct size now I look at it as you have to be able to pass the connectors through.

Victor that cable is meant to be one piece of twin wire all the way from the connector inside to the switch on the gearbox, yours has been cut and those connectors added.

#12 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

No the connectors on the wire are different so that they get plugged in the right way.

I think I'll have a look on the gearbox & take a picture on my way home in the morning around 8am.

Wire are just pulled apart at each end near the connection.

I'll put some more pictures of that too.

Victor

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

No the connectors on the wire are different so that they get plugged in the right way.

I think I'll have a look on the gearbox & take a picture on my way home in the morning around 8am.

Wire are just pulled apart at each end near the connection.

I'll put some more pictures of that too.

Victor

Yes they are different connectors so they can only be connected one way however they are not original connectors. Someone has cut the wires and fitted those connectors.

#14 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

Had a quick look this morning, no grommet.

Attached Files

#15 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for those pictures Victor.
Shows me there is a feed through in the tunnel to the switch. Auto tunnels don't have that.
Not too sure why your switch connectors are different shapes as my reverse switch has 2 standard flat push on spade terminals.
Very simple to make a new lead with a grommet in place and fit the terminals and disconnect plug.
From what I can work out the switch just makes a circuit to put the reverse lights on via the blinker switch assembly so shouldn't matter which way the wires go on the switch.
Just shorting the light green and the dark green wires together puts on the reverse lights.

#16 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

I take a better picture of the reverse switch on my car. I don't think it has the flat spade on it. The dark & light green wires are connected straight on. But could be wrong.

Victor

#17 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for those pictures Victor.
Shows me there is a feed through in the tunnel to the switch. Auto tunnels don't have that.
Not too sure why your switch connectors are different shapes as my reverse switch has 2 standard flat push on spade terminals.
Very simple to make a new lead with a grommet in place and fit the terminals and disconnect plug.
From what I can work out the switch just makes a circuit to put the reverse lights on via the blinker switch assembly so shouldn't matter which way the wires go on the switch.
Just shorting the light green and the dark green wires together puts on the reverse lights.

The reverse switch with the spade connectors is LC, LJ & HQ of the same era. TMK the switch with the wires directly attached was introduced in 1974, probably at LH Torana introduction.

I take a better picture of the reverse switch on my car. I don't think it has the flat spade on it. The dark & light green wires are connected straight on. But could be wrong.

Victor

Victor, yours has the wires attached directly to the switch.

#18 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:15 PM

Thanks Dave, I do remember my gearbox is HQ.

#19 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

Ready to drill through my tunnel to route the reverse switch wiring.
Is it possible to get a picture of the inside of the car showing exact position of the feed through point?
Perhaps some dimensions and the approximate hole diameter would be helpful too.

#20 old-jim

old-jim

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Name:Jim

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

I made my own reverse switch wiring from a 2 conductor 240 volt lead out of the junk box.

It goes from the switch across the top of the gearbox and is then zip-tied to the speedo cable, and enters the cabin via the speedo cable grommit.

I added a bit of old vacuum tube as extra shielding as it goes over the gearbox.

Jim

#21 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:16 AM

Thanks, I'm sure that would work Jim but am not sure that is how the cars come from the factory.
Thought the cars had a feed through grommet on the tunnel .
Am looking to find where to drill the hole and what size.

#22 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

Hi Michael

If you look at the pictures I posted before.

You will see the plug that is near the brake pedal. Then 2 inches above that is where the wires go into the loom.

The wire from the tunnel goes on about a 45 degrees then over the top of the tunnel & out as seen in the pictures in my other post.

Victor

#23 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:05 AM

Post 7 bottom picture show the loom plug & you can see the wires coming off on the right hand side, wrapped in tape.

Then in post 14 middle picture you can see the plug.

Victor

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

Victor, I think Michael really wants to know exactly where on the passenger side of the tunnel to cut the hole for the wiring to go through to the gearbox and what diameter it should be.

Edited by S pack, 25 July 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#25 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

Ok Dave pictures tomorrow & if there's anything else you want pictures of or want me to look at.

Victor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users