202 engine build, help needed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _AtlantisUC_

_AtlantisUC_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

Hi, I'm building a black 202 for my UC Sedan and I need some asistance assembling it.
The engine has been machined and prepared for a supercharger. I've assembled engines before but never a newly machined one so I want to find out what you do differently.
Also it has adjustable timing gears and I'd like to get people's advice on where to set them.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hello AtlantisUC,

Welcome to the great Site,  B)

as your thread is going to be big to explain all the needed informationto get you on your way,

and can imagine a few links to other threads to help out for sure.  :spoton:

#3 _Engine_

_Engine_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hi, you need professional advice, look on this web site to find somebody on the Gold Coast to help you.

Engine needs to be measured up and checked, Cam needs to be dialed in. etc.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

You really need to help us help you a bit.

We will need a lot more information to be able to give any meaningful advice, data out is only as good as data in.

Some basics will be a good start.

What is your previous experience, what machine work exactly was done to the engine, what are you planning to use it for, are you going to stick with forced induction or go aspirated, what parts exactly do you have, what are you prepared to spend, what tools you have access to and the like will go a long way.

For example if it has been set up for forced induction there is probably not enough compression and the cam, if there is one will likely be useless if you wish to naturally aspirate it, also piston to bore clearance and ring fap and the like will need to be different...

Or get onto someone like ender suggests if that's to hard.

#5 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:49 PM

Didn't Clint (Viper) have a bit of a tech article on assembling a motor? It was only a 4 cylinder Isuzu but it is still relevant.

#6 _AtlantisUC_

_AtlantisUC_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

Hi guys, sorry I didn't give enough information.

It's a black 202 engine that was setup specifically for a SC14 Supercharger. Everything has been done by Aaron Hambridge down in Sydney except the assembly of the engine.

The crank has been nitrided and machined with a key hole and thread in the front to hold the balancer on.

Conrods were tested and shot peened.

Pistons are ARP forged items for 8.5:1 compression

Block has been modified with an external oil line between cylinder 1 and 6 and back to a high volume oil pump. It's also had a groove and rings installed around each piston and will use a copper gasket. I've heard different stories about this but the guy who built it races and build top alcohol cars.

New valve seats, valves and springs. Ports have been cleaned up. Adjustable roller rockers. 350 chev pushrods and new lifters.

New balancer. Straight cut adjustable timing gears. Custom grind cam to suit Supercharger.

Lightened flywheel, heavy duty clutch and pressure plate.

In regards to my experience, I did my apprenticeship as a mechanic at a Holden Dealership so I know my way around tools and modern cars but it was very rare that we ever got anything without a computer. So I feel confident in bolting things together but tuning a carburetted, supercharged, modified 202 with a distributor is kind of out of my League!

I have most tools except a press for the timing gears. Mainly what I'm after is tuning tips; ie. where to position the cam in relation to the crank, distributor timing, carburettor tuning and whether there's any different lubricants I should use when dealing with a newly machined engine.

Hope that helps a bit more, and if anyone is on the Gold Coast and has some time it would be great to learn from someone I can meet.

Thanks 

#7 _AtlantisUC_

_AtlantisUC_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Here's what my Torana looks like at the moment.

The red engine in the foreground is the stock old 173 which came out of it. Didn't go very well with the Supercharger but I think that was mainly my lack of skill with carburettors etc.

Attached File  torana.jpg   74.6K   7 downloads

#8 _datpsi_

_datpsi_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

Sounds likea nice combo.. could i ask where you got the adjustable timing gears mate?

#9 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:50 PM

Why not toss the carbie away and set up a throttle body into the blower, something you are used to.

Regards

#10 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:05 PM

Hey mate do you have any more info regarding this?

Thanks

Block has been modified with an external oil line between cylinder 1 and 6 and back to a high volume oil pump.

#11 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

Hey mate do you have any more info regarding this?

Thanks

You can plumb an oil line from the pump, externally onto the block at about number 1 and number 6 crank journal. I run this on my engine as well. Number 1 and 6 are known to spit rods, and hence the idea is that the external oil feed helps ensure said journals get plenty of lubrication.

In saying that, many making great HP do not run this set-up and many feel that the external pickup for the pump is more important than the external feed to number 1 and 6 journal. Its also important to put eliptical reiefs in the oil feeds on the crank journals to help with flow... 

Edited by LC-GTR-1969, 06 April 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#12 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

Alight thanks for that, what sort of fitting are you using in the block and are you using hard lines or braided?  I don't really want to use an external pick up for the pump, a lot of people say it's not worth it?  I was just planning to fit a larger diameter tube on the standard pick up and enlarge the pick up hole in the block.

Thanks

#13 _AtlantisUC_

_AtlantisUC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

My engine builder supplied the timing gears

Attached File  rollmaster.jpg   90K   3 downloads

Attached File  timing gears.jpg   83.56K   4 downloads

This is the setup that I've got for the external oil lines to help no. 1 and 6 cylinder. It's braided lines feeding into the pump.

Attached File  oil lines.jpg   94.8K   5 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users