Electric ignitions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _hsv-001_

_hsv-001_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

Hi , Hope I'm doing this right . I have a question regarding my mates LC GTR XUI . I went around on Anzac day to set his ignition timing and carbs  and had no real problems . But here it the question ,he has an old screw in electronic unit under the dizzy cap and a module . The paper work he showed me suggests it is a Fireball XR 700 optically triggered ignition system . He wants to put a new after market copy of a commodore electronic dizzy to replace the optic trigger . Can the module be retained ,and if so which of the three wires[black grey and white] that normally go to the optic trigger would I use as + and- on the replacement dizzy . Yes I know what you are thinking ,just replace the resisted 7.5 volt [after start up ] ignition coil wire with one directly off the back of the ignition switch . But this is a nightmare with the dodgy alarm and isolator system that someone has installed . I would appreciate any ideas . Cheers Haydn 

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

Honestly throw it in the bin (unless it is an original XU1 dizzy) and fit a blue or black EFI dizzy and coil. You don't need to run any new wires, just bridge the pink and yellow wires at the ignition switch. You may have to get the HEI regraphed to suit the XU1 engine though.

#3 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

Hi , Hope I'm doing this right . I have a question regarding my mates LC GTR XUI . I went around on Anzac day to set his ignition timing and carbs  and had no real problems . But here it the question ,he has an old screw in electronic unit under the dizzy cap and a module . The paper work he showed me suggests it is a Fireball XR 700 optically triggered ignition system . He wants to put a new after market copy of a commodore electronic dizzy to replace the optic trigger . Can the module be retained ,and if so which of the three wires[black grey and white] that normally go to the optic trigger would I use as + and- on the replacement dizzy . Yes I know what you are thinking ,just replace the resisted 7.5 volt [after start up ] ignition coil wire with one directly off the back of the ignition switch . But this is a nightmare with the dodgy alarm and isolator system that someone has installed . I would appreciate any ideas . Cheers Haydn 

What trigger wheel is he using? Do you have pictures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users