Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Name:Dion
  • Car:LC SL

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:48 PM

G'day all,
I'm looking at making my own centre console to fit a quick shift, so I can hide the chrome outer shell. Also fit some other things. Has anyone on here done there own and how did you do it? Any pics would be great. I've seen people use particle board, then cover it and also seen fibre glass.
Cheers.

#2 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

Craftwood would where normal wood wouldn't (or my name's not Edward Woodward)

Fibreglass / composite would be the best option I suppose but for a one-off console it's a PITA to work with.

Don't use particle board or plywood, it's crap, it will absorb moisture, swell up and eventually fall apart. Craftwood is much easier to work with and damn near fire-proof so hot transmission parts shouldn't be a problem.

Just make the console out of cardboard and masking tape first, then use that for templates to cut out the Craftwood sections, glue it all together then reinforce all the joins from the inside with something like inch by inch square strips.

After that you can use a router to cut out any holes / slots / cup-holders / etc. and run it along all the edges to round everything off. Then stick some thin padding on, stretch material of your choice over that and staple it underneath where you won't see the staples... job done!

You can use heaps of different covering materials from leather to vinyl to that thin carpet they cover speaker cases with, but I wouldn't invest in leather first time out if I were you. If you keep the design simple it will be a lot easier to cover, if you start getting all fancy with armrests and hidden compartments and the like, you will need to cut the material out from your original cardboard templates and have a sit down with a sewing machine.

If you have the tools already, all that should cost you under fifty bucks but I warn you, making consoles is addictive, and they generally get bigger and more elaborate with each new incarnation!

#3 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:14 AM

why dont you use material like leather, vinyl in  the same colour as carpet.to cover the auto cover bud.and get away with making one

but i see you want compartments.

Only my opinion bud but i reckon it would look crap in an lj.Im going to just cover mine  what i mentioned so it blends in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users