Strange steering issue.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

Noticed something the other morning on the way to work. Main road, about 80kmh, all of a sudden the steering starts shuddering like one of my wheels was oval shaped. I pulled over thinking my wheel was about to fall off, and nothing obvious. Pulled out and continued driving, it had gone away, thought nothing of it. Today on the way home, same road, same speed, same thing happened. The steering would pull to the left every rotation and i got worried. The shudder got faster with speed so i pulled over. Had a good look this time couldnt see anything. Had a truck driver have a look and he couldnt see the movement. So i drove off with the problem persisting to get home. I approached an intersection and turned right. Somehow, after turning, the steering stopped behaving strangely.

Now im really confused. Wouldn't have a clue whats happening and can't work it out. Any ideas? The turn obviously did something, but what? 4x4 ute.

Thanks

#2 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

Could be a number of things like bearings, ball joints, bushes, tie rod ends, Damper or if only at a higher speed maybe wheel balance or a buckled wheel.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

A mates Landcruiser did a similar thing until the steering idler arm (or whatever it's called) bracket tore completely away from the chassis rail. No steering at all after that.

#4 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

Is that the stabiliser bar? I thought about that as i remember breaking one in another car and it would try to pull into the gutter.

The odd thing with this is that it has gone away, come back, and gone away again. Im a bit worried, and i cant have a good look until the weekend.

#5 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:26 PM

Hard to tell without hearing the sound. Not long ago we had a landcruiser I think anyway in at work and the front end has offset bushes that were put in the wrong way and the tie rod bar was rubbing on a suspenion arm.

#6 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

Which car is it in?

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

Which car is it in?

Toyota Hilux SR-5 2001.

#8 tiny dancer

tiny dancer

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name:russell dennis
  • Car:LJ

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

sounds like balance problem have you been playing in mud or bogged lately take front wheels off and wash out rims or get front wheels balanced. cheers

#9 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:13 AM

I suspect this guy likes playing in the mud quite a bit.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:17 AM

My 80 series used to do that.

Was panhard rod bushes.

They looked fine fitted to the car and even with a pry bar everytime I checked, then one day it musta been parked with the suspension loaded differently because I had heaps of movement.

Get someone to turn the wheel back and forth and check the panhard for movement.

#11 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

If you cant find the time to put a jack under it for a quick look you might as well just keep driving it and hope

whatever it is doesn't create a serious issue, like a wheel falling off and you spearing into a schoolbus.

Just jack the bloody thing up and have a look.

Quicker than asking on here.

#12 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:10 AM

I have seen this problem heaps of times, we refer to the problem of wheel slap. It can be caused by one or a combination of things.

First check to ensure your tyres aren't running out of shape due to the tyre bands slipping inside the tyre, you can normally feel around the tread by hand to check. Then check the rims for run out and balance. Check that the steering box adjustment is correct.  

#13 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

Forcibly wobble the suspect wheel in all directions whilst still on the ground!

Jack up & place on stand & carefully repeat process.

Rotate wheel to see if brakes are dragging or any tight spots!

Sounds like an out of round drum or bent disc heating up & dragging then cools down when you stop so it goes away!

Or could be mud build up if your a mud pig!

#14 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

If you cant find the time to put a jack under it for a quick look you might as well just keep driving it and hope

whatever it is doesn't create a serious issue, like a wheel falling off and you spearing into a schoolbus.

Just jack the bloody thing up and have a look.

Quicker than asking on here.

I leave at about 6 in the morning, get home around 9:30 at night. Currently driving my other car until i can look at it on the weekend.

Apart from that, some good ideas coming up. Problem is i've had a look and nothing obvious jumps out. Ill jack it up on the weekend just wanted to generate some food for thought. I don't actually play in mud but the car has been through it before. I thought it might be balance but the main confusion is that it can come and go at random, not really related to heat or speed.

Things i know are that the front disks are lipped, front cv's are in need of replacing. No hits in the front but the odd gutter climb or two. Can't see how it could be alignment but i'm interested in the tyre theory. The truck driver reckons he couldnt see any movement whilst i was driving straight at him looking head on. Literally feels like an oval shaped wheel. Funny that the sweeping right turn made it go away.

Cheers

Edited by judgelj, 20 May 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#15 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Usually wheel bearing related if it goes away on corners.

Also try swapping tyres from front to rear

#16 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:43 PM

Take it out of 4WD, you are getting axle wind up....................LOL just joking. :P

#17 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

Haha that was my first though!

Do the cv's actually spin in these when driving?

#18 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:37 PM

So i jacked the car up today and checked for play on the front wheels. The front left plays so much it actually clunks, is this normal? Should there be any play what so ever? Is this play in the front hub or disc or ball-joint?

Both wheels have play but more so the front left. I'm thinking that a hard left is causing the the wheel to behave like it is buckled, and a hard right turn puts it back into place.

Edited by judgelj, 23 May 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#19 71Ranger

71Ranger

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Car:71 LC

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

Sounds like wheel bearings.

Does it run a swivel hubs like thel Land Cruisers, if so check them as well. (pretty sure they don't)

Those wheel bearings can be adjusted, but you need to check that they are not stuffed.

You can buy wheel bearing kits that come with both bearings, locking tabs and seals for each wheels.

Cheers Brian

Edited by 71Ranger, 23 May 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#20 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

Must be. There shouldn't be any play at all, should there? Surprising though, no grinding or whirring noises?

#21 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

In which direction is the play?

#22 71Ranger

71Ranger

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

Ok Bomber makes a good point, so grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and see how much play, go again at 12 and 6 .

My money is still on wheel bearings.

Cheers Brian

#23 71Ranger

71Ranger

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

Should of mentioned this don't drive it until it's sorted.

My shop does a lot 4WD serevice, I'm in Dandy if you want me to take a look P M me and I will give you details.

Cheers Brian

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

Must be. There shouldn't be any play at all, should there? Surprising though, no grinding or whirring noises?

Depending on the type of 4wd tyres you are running you may not hear a bearing noise over the road noise.

The bloke over the road from me must have the noisiest frOcking 4wd tyres you can get on his Hilux. I swear I can hear him coming 1/2 a km away.

#25 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:59 PM

Yeah cheap muddies make a LOT of noise. Super swampers sound like a blower. I have muddies albeit worn so might explain things.

The play is at 12 and 6. But i pulled off the wheel and tried moving the disc. I can feel the disc move in any direction, just not as much (not enough leverage).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users