60 replies to this topic

#51 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:12 PM

From memory the post 1971 SBC heads with flame hardened seats lose most of the hardness when you cut them, VL heads should be similar. Your builder will know.

I was just interested in what size VL chambers are.

#52 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:14 PM

So engine builder just confirmed they are flame hardened, no response if they're as susceptible to losing hardness when cut into or not. He hasn't mentioned a concern for it and has built heaps of VL heads over the years so I'm assuming its fine

The standard cc for VL heads is 64cc.
He will check mine this week and make sure they're the same (and make adjustments where necessary) before they head to the machine shop

#53 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:39 AM

Slow progress thanks to the state of the world at the moment.

Block and sump painted (yes thats the correct colour) could have waited until the heads were on but the machine shop have those at the moment and I'm impatient 

Also picked up the quaddy which will fuel this bad boy, AllCarb doing a quality job as always, its a VC to early VK unit as they are a higher cfm than the earlier ones. 

Heads hopefully back this week, then final assembly before off to the engine dyno at the end of the month - depending on what Mr Andrews announces today  :mellow:

Otherwise transmission has been built and back in the car - trimatic unit has received an extra clutch to 2nd and 3rd (as the previous shop I went to years ago didn't put them in despite me instructing them to  :angry: )  as well as a  stage 2 shift kit and a 2500 eliminator (dominator) stall. Took the car for a few quick laps when i got it home (within the 5k limit of course) and it has made a huge difference to the driveability 

Lastly, hoping to have the new BW78 delivered this week, that will go into the car when the whole combo goes in....sometime in October hopefully

Attached Files

#54 _MarkLH_

_MarkLH_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:44 PM

Nice build mate.
Is your previous quaddy for sale?

#55 _MarkLH_

_MarkLH_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:53 PM

Also, did you manage to retain the column shift with the v8? any issues?

Thanks

#56 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:31 PM

Finally an update...lockdown is a real bitch.....

Engine is finally assembled, heads needed a bit of work, engine builder let me have a crack at porting and none of them were the same when I finished haha! fortunately engine builder fixed them for me. 

I did lap the valves at least.

And now that its assembled, next day we had was a date with the engine dyno

Attached Files

#57 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:34 PM

Engine paint will be redone/finalised this week now that the engine dyno has messed up my progress on the block and sump haha

Attached Files

#58 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

And engine dyno day is complete!

We have a success story, the scope for the build was a 355 that made bulk torque for the street. So simply mid range torque is more important than peak HP....or in the words of my engine builder: horsepower is irrelevant, torque is what moves shit!

Combination basics are:

- Cast Auscrank

- A9L rods

- 0.020 SRP pistons

- Chev style rear main seal

- Clive 1069 hydraulic cam

- VL heads, mild porting, 1.940 inlet valve, 1.600 exhaust

- Yella Terra Street Terra 5/16 shaft mount roller rockers - 1.65 ratio

- ASR sump

- Edelbrock performer dual plane inlet manifold

- 780cfm quaddy  

We broke in the cam and bedded the rings with a Holley 830, which is a big carby, then finished the day with the quaddy.

As you can see it ended up making north of 420ft-lb from 3600-4700rpm, with a peak of 437ft-lb @ 4000rpm, and peak hp of 400 @ 5600rpm.

The two runs posted are back to back runs, just with different acceleration rates on the dyno, hence the variation in the results.

With the 830 Holley it made 441ft-lb, but the torana will run the quaddy so those are the results I care about

Safe to say I am STOKED, this thing is going to be a lot of fun! And here is the girl singing 

Attached Files

#59 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:49 AM

What a great combo, well done! Will sound awesome.

#60 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 23 October 2020 - 11:11 AM

Good results from B cast style heads and a hydraulic cam. Well done.

#61 _74LH_

_74LH_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2020 - 02:48 PM

VL black heads, not B cast - they're a different head

Sorry. Just noticed you said b cast style heads, so yes, they are similar in some ways

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users