Photo

Holden 6 Oil Pump Clearances and tidy up ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biga064

biga064

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Hi what are most doing to improve their oil pumps ?? Are there any porting or drilling mods ? Pump gears to body should be 2 to 4 thou .Shim the pressure relief !   Holden book says end cover  plate to gears should around 3/4 of a thou ?? All pumps so far I have measured are between 4 to 7 thou ??? What clearances are you running ? Thanks

#2 turbotrana

turbotrana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

I had my machinist machine the inside flat of the housing flat (the inside bit where the gears run up against). Mine was a new pump and I was surprised how off this was. I think he then machined the cover for 2 to 3 thou gear clearance. Cant remember exactly. Cause I run so many extra oiling holes my pump pressure was sub 5psi at idle. Once clearanced it bought the idle pressure above red light pressures (I think around 10psi) so it definately fixed my issue.

I also port the housing alot. I just imagine that I am a oil molecule and roud off all the sharp edges where the oil has to travel into.

I did not shim the spring and it only ran about 45psi on high revs. I have an extensively modded oiling system with external oil lines to each end of the gallery.

In my setup (7000rpm 20+psi boost) no problems but I suspect if stock oiling system you may.

Just saying with a well developed oiling setup you don't need mega pressure. In these engines you don't want alot of pressure put on the cam gear for starters.

#3 _Smarty_

_Smarty_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

there are lots of mods you can do to your pump if you look hard enuf. most med to high performance engines need only std volume pump. removing the filter mount thread collar and drilling the inlet and outlet galleries to a larger size will help flow. I personally block off the bypass valve so all engine oil is filtered. blending all radiuses and casting marks will help also. match the pump to block and blend there also. a small 1/4" ball head die grinding bit is ideal. shim the relief spring to up the pressure [this may require testing to get it right] . I use external pick up and feeds. if you want to keep it internal I have also drilled the std galleries to I think around 9/16 with success tho you may have to thread an adaptor to the original oil sender pickup point as the thread gets a bit thin. check the sender gallery to main gallery as they don't always get the casting right from factory and blending may be required there as well. drilling the main feed gallery to mail bng is something I also do to increase volume  to the bearings. there's a start hope this helps. 

#4 biga064

biga064

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:53 AM

Thanks For the great info guys much appreciated !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users