Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

Saw these just released by RSP - insulators for the front springs.

http://www.rarespare...mpaign=05/06/15

I assume they are go installed above and below the top and bottom of the front springs respectively between the spring and the upper/lower wishbones...

Never knew they existed.

Are they necessary?

What is is the risk of not having them installed?

Cheers, TB

#2 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:05 AM

They only go on the top of the spring to insulate between the spring and the k-frame spring tower. Their purpose is to reduce noise, vibration and harshness ( NVH ) from the springs.  You can get thicker spacers to increase height.

I am not sure that the front spring insulators are OEM as I can't find them listed in the LX or UC parts catalogues. My front suspension did have insulators but it also had aftermarket springs.

The rubber rear spring insulator for the top of the rear spring is listed in the LX and UC catalogues.

http://www.rarespare...x?product=H1117

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 06 June 2015 - 01:11 AM.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

I doubt they'd be needed on the front as the K-frame's rubber mounts would reduce NVH, whereas the rear springs seat directly into the chassis (and right behind the rear passenger's bum at that).

#4 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your input.

Guess I need not worry I didn't install these things - good news!

Regards, TB

#5 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hi all.  Just starting to put my LX hatch front end together and wondering if anyone has any further thoughts on the front spring upper insulators.  I know they aren't listed in the parts catalogue but seems most spring manufacturers also sell them.  I'm not keen to raise the height, but realise some aren't that thick.  Regarding noise reduction I'm not sure if there is much in this area, but would have thought if there was they would sell lowers as well?  Just trying to "do it once, do it right" which will be a minor miracle for me. LOL.  Cheers Ron

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

There is certainly a need for them otherwise you might end up with a "BOING"  ( :<_<:) noise in the front with suspension movement.

The top of the spring has a lot more area where it can rub metal to metal with the cross member than the bottom particularly if bigger/fatter springs are used. Also the lower control arm has the 2 big pivot bushes to insulate it from the cross member.

When the TR Magna was introduced there was complaints about front end noise and the factory fix was to wrap electrical spaghetti around the coils to insulate them.

I used this stuff recently on a car with fatter springs but it hasn't hit the road yet. This sample is from Bunnings but the stuff I used came from Jcar $10.

https://www.bunnings...l-wrap_p4331580

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:59 AM

I thought the spring isolation is only used on the rear where the spring directly mounts the chassis.

#8 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:41 AM

I have run my lx with and without front insulators. I wanted to lift the front slightly. I didnt notice a difference in nvh in normal driving. It did used to do the boing thing from front left backing out of a driveway down a slope and turning sharp. The insulator stopped that happening.

#9 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.  I think I will start with the upper insulators and see how it goes.  I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more talk about it before. Cheers Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users