GT Falcon Stolen at Gunpoint

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

Some good moves in the video, thanks Stephen SLR, personally, if I was fast enough, after a diffuser i'd break that arm as quickly as I could and also as mensioned, who else is around, escape route. But I suppose that you don't really know what you would do until you face a situation like that, a subconscious flight or fight decision. My instructor ensures, that the attacker is focussed on their weapon. But you would have to be bloody fast  and the gun would have to be in your face, as in the video, hope I never have to find out.

regards

#52 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:06 AM

Only an idiot would put a gun that close to a person that they could grab it,....  Try that move from 2 meters, I think not, next you would be made turn away from the attacker .. but anyway that is irrelevant to this story...   Any possibility could not be ruled out..  Owner Fraud??, Mechanic involved??, Thieves got lucky??, Theives were watching the car all day.... and many more we can't think off.....   But everyone is innocent until proven guilty....  And at this point in time, my thoughts are with the mechanic and the owner, who if innocent, must be going through hell.....   speculation is fine, but they are just that..... Ian..

#53 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

Only an idiot would put a gun that close to a person that they could grab it,....  Try that move from 2 meters, I think not

We had in instructor from the US show us a move from 12 metres. It involved a dive roll that gets you close enough to attack and he did stress; it's not something you would do unless you were 100% certain the guy was going to shoot; in other words; you either get shot where the attacker wants to shoot you or take the risk and gets shot somewhere else and if you're lucky, get a chance to defend yourself.

Basically; if an attacker is after your wallet or property; always give it to them; let the police catch them later.

Martial arts techniques look neat when 'choreographed' in a dojo but in real life situations it's often very messy, the attacker doesn't comply like a training partner. Of course it's better to train than not, especially real life situations so if it does happen you don't freeze or panic as much.

I recall a story from a bouncer that's fought and witnessed lots of fights saying the most successful fighters strike first, strike once but strike hard and then run.

s

#54 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:17 AM

at this point in time, my thoughts are with the mechanic and the owner, who if innocent, must be going through hell..... 

True and probably very relieved they aren't lying naked in a stainless steel drawer right now.

s

#55 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:44 AM

Yep every thing happens very quickly and usually very messy, bugger all reaction time especially when your attacker is in your face, strike first. I don't think you would have any chance of disarming a gun at only 1 meter away. But if you based it on a drop into a sumo stance might help, weight go's down strike go's up but you would still have to be very close to the gun. Bloody nasty situation just letting some A/hole take something that you have spent heaps of time and money on.

#56 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

if you based it on a drop into a sumo stance might help, weight goes down strike goes up

I was told due to recoil the bullet tends to track higher in the hands of an inexperienced shooter so a downward movement is the best bet; depending on where they're aiming of course but as I said earlier; if they detect movement and are keen to shoot you have bugger all chance of not getting shot.

s

#57 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

anyone who has been Paint balling, will know how easy it is to shoot a human being...  we really don't move that fast..   

My son went to a shooting range for the fist time...  he is a bit gun mad, he loves them..  My fault I guess, I named him Jesse James...  :)   He shot small bore pistol's and big bore ones.. and check his accuracy...  shooting is not hard, especially at reasonably close range...

10703524_776084855763389_72112475694535310624903_775753152463226_155341434769501

and this is the target.. top pic, 44 Magnum, middle pic Glock, bottom pic is Jesse's girlfriends shooting, so even she would mess you up....  :shoot:

1544948_656807267691149_236388930_n.jpg?

#58 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

shooting is not hard, especially at reasonably close range...

True, those techniques would be best performed when the person shifts their concentration, takes their eyes off you, etc.

s

#59 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:26 PM

And the gun is in your face. Ha i've had several nasty marks from paint ball fun. I bet that shooting range was fun. All I've got is a 303 replica. I'd love to get involved in the shooting range thing, one for the bucket list.

Regards

#60 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

That was on the Gold Coast, he was on holidays with his girlfriend..  so they just decided to go...  that was his first time with a gun..

#61 _GTR_069_

_GTR_069_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

any news on the GT yet???

#62 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:21 PM

aca not onto yet ? :)

#63 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:34 PM

Heard a whisper about this story.

There is a bit of a side story to it.

Will be interesting if it all comes to light in the future.

#64 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:56 PM

That's bad news

Must be on drugs why else would you want a Ford

#65 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

Must be on drugs why else would you want a Ford

Yep, I think that about sums it up

#66 _GTR_069_

_GTR_069_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

Side story hmmm never

#67 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

shooting is not hard, especially at reasonably close range...

But adrenalin, the situation around you, etc sure would make it much more of a challenge. All the practice at a range is going to help of course, but when the time comes if you need to defend yourself, etc on the spot it is going to be different for everyone. At least with practice and training it would give the average person (versus trained military, police,etc) and chance...well, at least like here where you can own firearms more generally then there. I've never had to point a gun at anyone, and don't look forward to ever doing it, but if the situation ever happened...just have to try and keep as calm as possible I suppose and go from there.

(But not to say I wouldn't certainly defend myself if the situation arose...and have the means too close at hand here just in case.)

Edited by LS1 Hatch, 19 July 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#68 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

But adrenalin, the situation around you, etc sure would make it much more of a challenge.

Absolutely; I've had some practice at a range and it's challenging to hit a bullseye on a stationary target while you're steady and relaxed. Of course shooting someone up close is a lot easier.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 19 July 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#69 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

Oh yes....wasn't saying up close is harder than further away in that aspect..

#70 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

Was in a pistol club quite a few years back.

We shot at 25 and 50 metres.

I remember how bad I was even with some great instruction until I got the hang of it.

Watched some Police doing their periodic training one day.

They shoot at 10 metres.

Only bulls eye I saw was from a bullet hitting the wrong target.

Decided then that if ever I was in trouble and was told stop or i shoot, I would keep running. In a straight line. Zig zag and they might fluke a hit.

Like every skill it requires practice to stay proficient.

Pointing a gun at a person and pulling the trigger would be an entirely different proposition again.

#71 _dno_

_dno_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

Quote''

Decided then that if ever I was in trouble and was told stop or i shoot, I would keep running. In a straight line. Zig zag and they might fluke a hit.

Ole mate of mine had the same idea, only took one shot and he decided it was safer to stop running. lol Turns out the shot was fired

in the air in an attempt to stop them which it did. lol

He got bogged after a few too many cans and decided to grab his dad's car to tow the bogged one out, the old man thought some thief had pinched it, so rang the plod which found the boys while on route.

Quiet a long story and very funny if you knew the guys.

Edited by dno, 19 July 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#72 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

Watched some Police doing their periodic training one day.They shoot at 10 metres. Only bulls eye I saw was from a bullet hitting the wrong target.

After the Columbine massacre the police rep. said the shooter fired mainly head shots; he said his best men couldn't hit with such accuracy; (police are trained to aim at the centre of the body mass). It was discovered the shooter became proficient playing shoot em up video games with a pistol joystick; the more head shots the more points you get. Since then police departments across the USA have incorporated video game style pistol training to increase their officers skills.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 19 July 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#73 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:47 PM

To be honest at 10 metres most of the cops actually found it hard to even hit the target.

They also shoot 2 handed.

The shooting I did at 25 and 50 metres was single handed.

There were exceptions though according to other members who saw them on other days.

This was back in the day of the S&W 5 and 6 shots.

Some of the officers with custom grips could actually shoot well.

Some with custom grips were actually as bad as the others.

I didnt see any good shots.

The only bulls eye of the day came from the guy shooting at the target beside it

#74 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

In Australia the main reason Police officers have a gun is self defense. The most likely scenario is that they would be shooting at the body to disable an attacker at less than 10 meters.

You will not pass training if you cannot hit the target. In WA the training is not just shooting at stationary targets.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 19 July 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#75 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

To be honest at 10 metres most of the cops actually found it hard to even hit the target.

They are trained to shoot at the centre of mass; if the person is rolled up in a ball they aim for the centre of the ball.  They are also trained to keep shooting at the centre of mass till the threat has dissipated. In other words if the target doesn't stop advancing/attacking you just keep shooting until they do.

Often there's arguments such as, 'why didn't they shoot for the leg'. Firstly they're likely to miss; secondly it may not stop the target from doing what they intend on doing.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 19 July 2015 - 01:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users