Photo

LC K Frame off center. Effing outrigger bushes!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LC GTR

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hey guys finished putting my front end together had a tough time getting the rubber k frame bushings in. Got them in eventually after lots of swearing and spanner throwing. After I bolted it in and torqued it, the right hand side is almost pressed up against the frame but the left hand size has a good 5 or so mm gap. I have a feeling the bush may have slid back out on the RH side out of the frame. They were a real prick to get in and slipped out a few times. Might have shifted when I was wrangling it in with the paint scrapers. Debating if I leave it or rip them out and get the super pros. They look much easier to put in being two piece with a separate tube, compared to the fully moulded rubber ones.

http://www.superpro....-999500551/vid-

Think I have talked myself into fixing it as I type this, but what do you guys think am I being too fussy, leave or fix?

30A34057-A2E1-4122-ABA8-D4D3FC7EC762.jpg

0B106D2C-D6E0-48C3-96CD-D77C74E26B56.jpg

Thanks
Steve

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,804 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

you're right, its not the easiest of jobs.......any change they may even themselves up after a drive?....or you want to sort it before then?

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:41 PM

Is the K frame straight?

#4 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

Good question how do I check its straight? Both outrigger arms did have a crack in the usual place that I repaired but potentially could be a little out. I didn't do any measuring while it was on the bench.

The four main bolts on the chassis rails are all located pretty much spot on visually.

I think I will play it safe while the engine is not in and drop the frame and replace the rubber ones with the superpros and carefully do it all up and ensure its aligned.

#5 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

Not measuring before and after you welded it up has created this problem I reckon.

If you are whipping it out again Id be checking and comparing everything I could from side to side to make sure everything measures up spot on.

I doubt swapping the type of bush you use will fix your issue.

#6 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

Will the gap close up with some extra tightening of the bolt?

#7 _walpolla_

_walpolla_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

I reckon that will square up ok. You have got the top 4 bolts still loose I presume?  If not ,loosen them, tighten the outriggers and I think you will find it will even up.
 These cars were not that precise when new, let alone after 40 years of kerbs, potholes, small prangs and such.

You won't regret using the rubber compared to the urethane.

regards,Rod.

Edited by walpolla, 15 June 2015 - 07:29 PM.

#8 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the posts guys. Yeah I found it pretty hard to take an accurate measurement of the arms in relationship to the cross member, as to how square it is.

Looking back at the pics I just cleaned up the cracks dropped a bit of weld in then plated them up. Maybe they moved a little when it was cracked and being driven around.

http://www.gmh-toran...tr-build/page-2

I did back off the RH side and tried to tighten the LH side but it didn't budge. I didn't however back off the four chassis bolts. I will give that a try. I will back everything off, maybe give the RH side a nudge with the pry bar and see if it comes good. I also tightened the RH side first so I may have overdone it and didn't do them up as evenly as I should have.

Yeah makes sense Rob thanks and I know what your saying about the eurethane stuff I do prefer rubber myself, these things were harsh enough with rubber! Will go the eurethane if all else fails.

Thanks
Steve

#9 _walpolla_

_walpolla_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

Any progress?

#10 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hey Rod nah haven't had another crack at getting it straight. I pulled out the diff to strip it and paint it up instead. Will try this weekend and see if it comes good.

#11 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

Ok the RH bush did pop out of the frame. Dropped it down pushed it back in, but think I have butchered it cause when I tighten it all up it pops out again. I'm just going to get the Superpros and be done with it. Hopefully!

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

Whilst its out did you do some quick tape measure work?

#13 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hi DJ nah I got the new bushes but haven't had a chance to put them in yet. When I do go back under the car will measure it up.

Do you know what the measurement should be between the two outrigger arms. I have a spare front end but it has been hit so isn't a good reference point.

Steve.

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

NOt off the top of my head. 

A real good start would be to simply measure from say the left hand rear chassis mount hole to the left hand outrigger hole, do the same on the right, then do cross wise so left hand rear chassis mount hole to right hand outrigger hole, this wont tell you its correct but will tell you if its close to square. 

I do have a spare x member here, actually shoved it in a hole so its hard to get to just this arvy whilst I was havint a tidy up, didnt even think about your issue at the time, and i've never measured it so cant say if its straight either tbh. 

Start with the above, see where we get from there. 

Cheers. 

#15 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:45 PM

According to the workshop manual it should be 27.76 inches to the outside end of the arms .

Whatever that is in metric ????

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:59 PM

705.1mm by my calculations. 

#17 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

Jelly bean numbers DJ ?

Edited by 2ELCS, 27 June 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#18 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:19 PM

Na just the units everyone on the planet bar old Cunning Stunts and Americans have used since the mid 70's. 

Cheers. 

#19 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

I'm allowed to ?????

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

If you want, I'm not teaching you though hahaha.

#21 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

Great thanks guys really appreciate it will check it out.

#22 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

Ok all worked out in the end.  Dropped down the cross member, and pulled out the outrigger bushes.  As you can see from the pic below the offending side was a bit damaged from trying to get it in, and it literally fell out when I went to pull it out.  The other side was very secure and I had to destroy it to get it out.

8DD52DC8-3E92-4CF7-AA0B-EC4C5AED7115.jpg

Still took a lot of patience to get the Superpro's in but it was easier than the rubber ones.  Probably because the steel bush is moulded into the rubber ones.  Bit of stuffing around with the home made press, bit of jiggling with the screwdriver to feed the ends in evenly and in they pop.  

CC4AC7E6-97FA-430A-822B-12689851A64F.jpg

Then had to push in the bush, same deal lots of grease and in she went.

Getting it all back in I greased up the chassis and outside of the outrigger bushes.  I then put the jack under the crossmember with a large redgum block that I used as a pivot to angle the outrigger arms in.  Using the paintscraper trick to guide the outrigger bushes which someone else mentioned on this forum worked a treat.  Also this time I did everything kneeling in the engine bay which made things a little easier.  Then used a jack to raise and align each outrigger arm with the bolt holes.

Did some measurements beforehand and all seemed to be square.  Took my time carefully tightened everything up slowly and in sequence.  Torqued everything up to the correct specs and she is dead center in perfect alignment.

I think the first time I rushed it and dodged up that one outrigger bush.  Then over tightened it on that side and it popped out, so was user error!.

I hate having to do things twice but thats what you get when your impatient..  Now all there is left to do is everything else.

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

Yay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users