Red Assasin

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Name:Bazar
  • Car:LH

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

Hey guys just wondering for the purpose of 1/4 drag racing what's the best way to take off the line? I.e. First, second, drive lol in my case car is streeter 202 trimatic 2500 stall

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

When your first starting out just leave it in drive, concentrate on the launch and improving your 60' time. 

Once you get that pretty good you can play around locking it into different gears, but chanses are it will be faster in drive. 

Cheers. 

#3 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:03 PM

:)

Attached File  SSH.jpg   3.57K   6 downloads

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

D for Drag

#5 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

Reminds me of a joke I once heard about a guy racing his auto valiant.

This particular chap picks up his new car out the front of the dealership, excited that he got his first auto with the mighty power of a slant 225 six. Dropped it into D and cruised up to the new fangdangle traffic lights at the end of the street, proud as punch with his purchase, only to have an EH S4 slid up next to him.

I'll show this loser he thinks to himself as he mashes the accelerator on the green, but the EH driver is on to him. As the cars tear off down the road he finds he is slipping back as the EH gets a car length and then 2 on him. In desparation he glancing around within the car looking for the mistake he had made as surely the mighty 225 should have it over little red 179.

And then he spots his mistake, chastises himself and then slams it into "R" for race.............

Edited by The Baron, 04 July 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#6 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

Talk about a "dad joke", that joke is so old I wouldn't be surprised if it predates auto transmissions themselves!

Bazar, once you move into stage, left foot hard on the brake and then hold the throttle flat to the boards (full throttle), the engine is now under full load and the RPM should hold at the rated stall speed of the torque converter.

Ideally you don't want to sit there like this for more than a few seconds but this is where the guy in the other lane might play games with you, last one into full stage determines when the lights drop but the first guy into stage can play some games too, once the first car is in full stage the second car only gets 7 seconds IIRC to also stage or they get red-lighted.

When you're ready to launch just side-step the brake and be ready to "pedal" the gas if the mighty 202 breaks traction, otherwise hold her flat and hang on till the end!

To begin with, try and launch when the last yellow goes out rather than when the green comes on, by the time the signal goes from your eye to your brain then down to your foot the green light will have (hopefully) come on.

Another thing to consider is if you're trying for a low ET and don't care about the reaction time or beating the car next to you, let him/her go on the green and you can launch a second or two later when you're good 'n ready, the green light only determines your reaction time, the actual ET doesn't start till you leave the pre-stage beam but again, if you sit there too long you'll get red-lighted.

This can be especially helpful when spooling up turbo's to get max boost off the line. The advantage here is you can concentrate on getting the fastest run possible and not get all caught up in beating the tree.

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:19 AM

Take off AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

#8 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

Talk about a "dad joke", that joke is so old I wouldn't be surprised if it predates auto transmissions themselves!

Yeah, your right, guilty as charged................I'm a Dad!

#9 ido09s

ido09s

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Name:Brad

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:04 AM

Every car is different so what has been mentioned here may very well not work for you

Its all trial and error to be honest.

If your using normal street tyres I dare say you will get a fair bit of spin off the line. If your using some slicks or drag radials you will probably get decent traction, either way its all about having some fun.

Just try something different each run till you find what works with your car. You may find stalling it up a little helps, you may find mashing the pedal works best :o)

Be sure to come back and let us know how you go

#10 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

Reminds me of a joke I once heard about a guy racing his auto valiant.

This particular chap picks up his new car out the front of the dealership, excited that he got his first auto with the mighty power of a slant 225 six. Dropped it into D and cruised up to the new fangdangle traffic lights at the end of the street, proud as punch with his purchase, only to have an EH S4 slid up next to him.

I'll show this loser he thinks to himself as he mashes the accelerator on the green, but the EH driver is on to him. As the cars tear off down the road he finds he is slipping back as the EH gets a car length and then 2 on him. In desparation he glancing around within the car looking for the mistake he had made as surely the mighty 225 should have it over little red 179.

And then he spots his mistake, chastises himself and then slams it into "R" for race.............

Lol this reminds me of this prank.
( for some reason i can't post a YouTube link.) go to YouTube type automatic prank should be the first one

Edited by torana_nick, 06 July 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#11 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

as 

Every car is different so what has been mentioned here may very well not work for you

Its all trial and error to be honest.

If your using normal street tyres I dare say you will get a fair bit of spin off the line. If your using some slicks or drag radials you will probably get decent traction, either way its all about having some fun.

Just try something different each run till you find what works with your car. You may find stalling it up a little helps, you may find mashing the pedal works best :o)

Be sure to come back and let us know how you go

This is the truth.

You may find stompin on it is slower as either over fueling or over spinning, I used to run a couple of degrees extra timing to give it som punch off the line...Also try running 18-22PSI if it spins easy but don't use the first run as much of a guide as the tires are likely cool and could be dusty and dirty. Keep away from the water if possibleon street tires unless you plan to do a big smokey to dry em.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users