Photo

Dash Original no go for SS dash - who else?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

Spoke with Dash Original today. I asked them about restoring my SS dash, glovebox etc....they said they don't like to do too many and will only do it if an entire interior is also ordered...

My interior is all good.

Any suggestions for someone to restore a dash? Preferably a recommendation from personal experience.

Cheers, Scott

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

Spoke with Dash Original today. I asked them about restoring my SS dash, glovebox etc....they said they don't like to do too many and will only do it if an entire interior is also ordered...

:wtf:  They don't want to flood the market with restored SS dashboards? WALOBS.

#3 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:57 PM

someone on here was redoing them at one stage, not sure who it was though.??

sorry.

#4 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Name:Kirk
  • Car:LX SS 253

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

They look ok not sure if its the correct shade though

http://www.ebay.com....=item51d0e1fbdc

#5 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

Yep.. got the same response when enquiring about my dashers. I had 6 I wanted done.. What more do they want??????

I did them myself.. Looks like they miss out.. They think they are better than what they are..and the quoted me $695 per dash plus repairs.. what a crock.. They must have lots of work?????

what needs doing to your SS dash????

#6 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:37 AM

They look ok not sure if its the correct shade though

http://www.ebay.com....=item51d0e1fbdc

Thanks Kirk, I've seen these. They look good but I'm pretty keen to use my original dash.

Yep.. got the same response when enquiring about my dashers. I had 6 I wanted done.. What more do they want??????

I did them myself.. Looks like they miss out.. They think they are better than what they are..and the quoted me $695 per dash plus repairs.. what a crock.. They must have lots of work?????

My dash is in pretty good shape Mike, no holes, cuts or cracks. It pretty much just needs painting, and the glovebox lid is bowed.

I'd do it myself but I've only got one dash and I don't like my chances of getting it right first go. I want it spot on. I could use the stickers for some of the dash but I have air-con controls, which I want to keep, so the sticker supplied doesn't suit.

How did your dashes come up Mike?

#7 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:40 AM

ok.. i guess...

#8 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Try nicko, he is in melbourne and did some really nice SLR/SS dash restos. I was going to get him to do mine but the car was sold, from memory he can sell you one already done or can do yours. Two years ago he quoted me $1500 for a complete restored dash or around 1000-1200 to restore yours.

http://www.gmh-toran...ser/6564-nicko/

#9 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

Thanks Kirk, I've seen these. They look good but I'm pretty keen to use my original dash.

My dash is in pretty good shape Mike, no holes, cuts or cracks. It pretty much just needs painting, and the glovebox lid is bowed.

I'd do it myself but I've only got one dash and I don't like my chances of getting it right first go. I want it spot on. I could use the stickers for some of the dash but I have air-con controls, which I want to keep, so the sticker supplied doesn't suit.

How did your dashes come up Mike?

Rare spares and torana RPA have the aircon heater facia, all the silver bits on the bottom piece can be replaced, they are just stuck on. I painted one many years ago, turned out pretty good, just used acrylic .
If you work out how to or find someone who can straighten the glovebox lid let me know, so far I haven't found any way of doing it

#10 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

Heat gun works

#11 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Dash looks good Mike. How'd you paint the chrome? Pen or spray?

Thanks for the lead Kangur.

Cheers Brett, I checked RPA n yes they do have air con! Very good. Any tips on painting the Portland Grey?

Cheers for the glovebox straightening tip Kirk, spoze an oven might work also...

#12 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:55 AM

painted with "chrome" paint... not silver pen.. Originally they were very bright, almost chrome looking..

You wont have a problem painting yours.. acrylic likes plastic..

be carefull heating the plastic..It will want to go back to its original shape before moulding.. Ide try the heat gun on the bent bit first..

I have made a LOT of vacume formed plastic signs in my time..

Pics is of some dashes Ive been playing with.. I tend to spray the chrome, seal it then mask and paint the black.. Then the lettering.

#13 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

heres cheapy on eaby that you could have a play...

its cheap enough..

http://www.ebay.com....=item1a02f50273

#14 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

Scott the next bent glove box lid i get i will throw it in the oven nd will let you know the results

#15 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

Hi Scott

Got mine done by a fella in Qld

750 clams from memory and done an excellent job

He was recommended by a forum member on here who is pretty pedantic when it comes to these sorts of things

I could give him a call if you like to see if he would be interested in doing another

Edited by Swarbs, 16 July 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#16 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

I thought people had tried the heat before and it didn't work due to the type of plastic but have never tried it myself.
For painting I used a normal spray gun so the fan was bigger than the dash so just went from left to right in one go and the silver was a nice consistent colour

#17 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

I have never dealt with this mob, someone here might have some feed back

http://harrisonsearlyspares.com/

#18 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

Bit more info here if you are on facebook

https://www.facebook...sonsearlyspares

#19 _mrhdt3282_

_mrhdt3282_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

They do have lots of work, and by the way, get your facts right before you comment. what a crook!

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

WTF mate?

Atleast quote the post your replying to if you want to be an asswit. 

cheers. 

edit, made less offensive*

Edited by Bomber Watson, 04 September 2015 - 04:05 PM.

#21 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

There is another thread on Dash original here somewhere.

#22 _mrhdt3282_

_mrhdt3282_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

Don't promote your business by bagging another! By the pic's you have posted show you are good at restoring the dash parts so why would you want Dash-O to restore them. The price Dash original ask for restoring LC/LJ dash fascia is $440 plus repairs. Not $695! I can't believe people use pussy tactic's like this.

#23 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

thats what i was quoted so i decided to have a go... i dont put down others.. just stating facts... and i wanted the exact font which they wont/dont do and chrome , not silver....... no tactics.. not needed.... and who r u. .employed by Das-O?????? 

I have a set of Dash-O repaired heater facia and dash... Pretty crappy in my eyes.. the lettering is stuck on and comes off and silver paint pen is used... bit expensive for a second rate job..

My opinion.. and I dont give a rats bum what u think...

#24 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

lol

#25 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

So mrhdt is Ziggy ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users