Punchy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Name:Scott McCulloch
  • Car:77' Lx Hatch

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

Guys, I'm starting to get to the fun part of my build, ( apologies for not posting more about it..) however I'm curious about engine fans. I've seen some talk about Ford AU electric fans being fitted up but haven't found a lot on the installation and success of the fitment.

Are these fans a viable fit up and will they keep angry 308's cool?

Does much stuffing around have to be done to fit them.?

Cheers

(Yea ill put some picks up shortly as well.)

Edited by Punchy, 30 July 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#2 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

Ford Mondeo ones are a better and easier fit.  And kept my angry 355 cool.  You can buy them off Ebag for about $180 delivered.

#3 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

G'day Scott
Check out this thread on the AU thermo fans, there is some pics of how they are fitted

http://www.gmh-toran...you-mount-them/

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:49 PM

I noticed Ingram/Ashdown sell the whole setup new cheap.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

Got links?

#6 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

It was actually www.speedyairspares.com.au not Ingrams.

I can't post anything here including links for some reason, but go to THERMO FANS, on pages 2 and 3. Cheap as.

#7 _Borninsteel_

_Borninsteel_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hey Guys..
I know its all the rage ,”Electric Fans” and I guess some people might think they need them but I've never had to use them..
I've always used or home made, tight fitting, custom fan shrouds.

Its not my side line or business but its something that’s not too hard and I always get great results, especially with newly built engines that overheat.

I use Derakane, epoxy vinyl ester resin and the usual Glass Fiber to make the shape..

There is a long Process, it is fiddly and you have to make a small jig for each application but it works really Great..

I’ve made fan shrouds for f350, Pontiac, Mustang, Torana, Rambler, HQ holden, XB Ford..a few more but cant remember
Always thought of making a business out of it but I can't be fkd...you do it. LOL

I now of a guy in Kelmscott that used to do the same in the 1990's his business was called Coolmindi, or something....

#8 Punchy

Punchy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Twin Au fans Incoming!

#9 Punchy

Punchy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:12 PM

Done. Sweet as!

#10 _Borninsteel_

_Borninsteel_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

Here is an article that I recently found on another forum that best explains my long held thoughts .
I'm very confident with automotive wiring electrical/electronic and equipment but do not trust them, totally..

Please feel free to praise or rebuke the article............

An automotive electric radiator cooling fan will cause ‘parasitic power loss’ as any fan flex or clutch fan would..
The engine has to give up power to the Generator which powers the motor in the fan.
It will actually take more power from the engine as this conversion from mechanical energy to electrical and back is much less efficient than driving a mechanical fan, via a belt drive.

While the electric fan is powered on, it will zap horsepower more than the other types of fan mentioned.
You just have hope that it’s switched off, most of the time, so it saves you fuel and noise –
If you’re obsessed with horsepower and performance you hope it’s off when you’re putting your foot down.

Under-hood temperatures are affected by your choice of fan type and switching from a mechanical to an electric fan raises the temperature all around the engine bay as the cooling is only working when the water temperature is high.

If you’re thinking of factors like ‘Water Pump Reliability’ then fan reliability is also a factor;
a mechanical fan bolted the water pump will normally only fail, if the water pump fails.

With an electric fan, the Cooling System can also fail if the water pumps fails but it could also fail:

the generator fails (obviously) especially if you haven't bothered to upgrade to a higher amp alternator.
if one or both of the fan motor fails,
if the cabling around the fan fails,
if the connectors corrode or become unplugged,
if the relay fails or becomes unplugged,
if the fan thermostat fails or becomes unplugged.

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

Motor vehicles have used alternators rather than generators for many decades now.

You don't "hope" that your fans are on or off, you run an appropriate thermostat. If fan cooling is needed there is no way around that regardless of what type of fan you're using - although you could install an override switch on electric fans.

Any component in the vehicle can fail or cause adverse side effects if not correctly installed, electrics are no different. You could make a similar list of reasons why your brakes might fail, but they don't because you (hopefully!) keep them in good order.

The most efficient engine driven fans are generally the large clutch type, these move a lot of air (when hot) but the major drawback is not the parasitic power loss, its that they are not suitable for quick acceleration or high RPM - when you have one fold up into the radiator you'll start thinking about alternatives.

#12 _Borninsteel_

_Borninsteel_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

A few years ago I was emailing a prominent, well known USA Rochester Carburetor rebuilder..
He remarked (and I quote) “only idiots call a Carburetor a Carby, we call them a Carb here in the States”
I answered back with, “only idiots call a Chevrolet and Chevy, we call them a Chev in Australia”

I think the term “Generators” is still used in the USA by some mechanics
Do you think someone would mistake a generator for an alternator, they look different..?

Also, what to do you think of:

“Under-hood temperatures are affected by your choice of fan type and switching from a mechanical to an electric fan raises the temperature all around the engine bay as the cooling is only working when the water temperature is high.”

Do you know if its true?

anyone?

#13 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:06 PM

Any fan, be it engine-driven or otherwise, is useless when the vehicle is moving more than a slow crawl anyway. If you want to do the math, let's say a 14" fan moves 600 cubic feet of air per minute (note that this rating is subject to a few variables like supply voltage and air density).

14" diameter is roughly 1 square foot in area, so 600 feet of air passes through the fan per minute, which equals 6.82 mph or roughly 11 km/h.

If the vehicle is moving through the air any faster than that then the fan starts to become a liability as it (and its shroud) now impedes air flow through the radiator. That's why decent quality fan setups will include trapdoors in the shroud, which allow extra air through the radiator when the vehicle is at speed but are sucked close by the fan(s) when stationary.

staggerd-dual-f&s.jpg

But the statement...

“Under-hood temperatures are affected by your choice of fan type and switching from a mechanical to an electric fan raises the temperature all around the engine bay as the cooling is only working when the water temperature is high.”

...is a load of crap anyway, assuming everything else is working as designed, it's the engine's thermostat that controls the operating temperature, not the fans.

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:48 PM

Just when you thin k you haven't seen it all, FMD the best working radiator is un shrouded.
As some have mentioned, a fan is only needed at idle and low speed such as traffic crawl.

#15 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:12 AM

But the statement...

Under-hood temperatures are affected by your choice of fan type and switching from a mechanical to an electric fan raises the temperature all around the engine bay as the cooling is only working when the water temperature is high.”

Do you know if its true?

anyone?

...is a load of crap anyway, assuming everything else is working as designed, it's the engine's thermostat that controls the operating temperature, not the fans.

The statement is talking about under-hood temperature not engine temperature

When the car is stationary and the electric fan has switched off the engine temperature will be stable however the under-hood temperature will rise as there is no air circulation. A mechanical fan will always be circulating some air though the engine bay so the under-hood temperature when the car is stationary will be lower.

An electric fan with a speed controller linked to the coolant temperature can typically be configured to kick in at low speed soon after the car stops which will minimise the difference if you are concerned about under-hood temperatures.

#16 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:51 AM

I did miss the distinction but I doubt it makes much difference.

At idle an engine-driven fan is doing bugger all unless you're sitting there with the motor revving (which in itself introduces new problems such as raised exhaust manifold temps etc.), that's why air conditioned cars run the thermo fan whenever the a/c is on, regardless of whether the car has a mechanical fan or not, because the mechanical fan isn't doing anything at idle.

Even less so for a fluid-clutch fan which is basically freewheeling most of the time, the only time they actually drive is under the same conditions that an electric/hydraulic fan would be running anyway.

The whole thing is a moot point anyway, if you're that worried about under-bonnet temps then fit a cold air intake, problem solved!

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:31 AM

As above the engine bay temperature can be affected by how the fans are used/controlled, doesn't really have anything to do with the type of fan. I would suggest that exhaust would be the first thing to address if the engine bay temperatures are too high (but there is no issue with coolant temp).

Generators and alternators are different things, not interchangeable colloquial terms for the same.

#18 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

Just watched an interesting YouTube video where they did an engine dyno comparison of some popular types of engine-driven fans...

[spoiler alert below]

The best fan they tested took 14 horsepower to drive and the worst took 30 horses! That was only spinning the engine to around 5500 RPM, they reckoned you would see a much larger number at higher revs but also reckoned this power draw would likely remain constant no matter what engine it was fitted to?

They also tested without a fan shroud and it was several horsepower less draw than with the shroud, but I suppose it would be drawing air around the radiator instead of through it too so less actual cooling efficiency?

So, how much does an electric fan draw?

According to google, 746 watts = 1 horsepower, at say 14 volts (with the engine running) that's just over 53 amps... most cooling fans don't draw that much (even allowing for motor inefficiencies of 10-20%).

So even if you're running 10 electric fans they would still draw less power than 1 of the best engine-driven fan tested!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users