Cleaning out a petrol tank

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _AquaSLR5000_

_AquaSLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hi Guys, I am about ready to put my petrol tank back in the car, but it hasn't had fuel in it for at least 5 years,

Should I clean it out?

How do I clean it out?

#2 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:12 AM

What I would do is empty out the old fuel then drop a lit match down the filler that way you know all the old fuel is gone. Oh and I forgot to mention do this in an open space because there is a chance that tank will explode when you drop the match in the filler.

Absolutely don't do what I suggested because you'll blow yourself up for sure, I was just joking ok so definately don't do it.

ck1971.

#3 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:05 AM

Getting further off topic but I have actually done something similar to that before when I had no choice but to braze up a tear in a tank. We're talking bush mechanics here so definitely do not try this at home!

I pulled out the tank, emptied the remaining fuel, blocked off all the lines and filled it to the brim with water, then I held the oxy-acetylene torch in the filler neck and slowly started to pour the water out. About fifty mini-explosions later I finally had all the water and all the fuel vapour burnt out of the tank and was able to braze it up.

But back to the original topic, there is a commercial treatment you can buy for cleaning and resealing fuel tanks, but I just can't remember what it's called right now. It's a two or three step process with different chemicals from memory, hopefully someone else can remember what I'm talking about?

#4 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:27 AM

Unsure of how bad it is, but get a torch and have a look, pull the fuel level out if needed as that will give a decent size hole to peer in, smack the sides to loosen bits off it.

Maybe if its really bad use a rust kill treatment and then rinse with fuel after a couple of days and check what comes out. I have welded tanks before but haven't had many issues with rust and thats why you should always use a good filter.

Exhaust gases can't ignite unless the car is running stupidly rich and my trick was to empty the tank and then run a pipe from a warmed up car exhaust to the tank so I could weld it.

#5 Sven

Sven

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name:Steven Goodwin
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

This is what the motorbike guys use.

http://kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

#6 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:53 AM

If the tanks out.
I used brake cleaner to clean out mine.
Just pour in a liter or 2 swish it around as much as u can. Then empty it. Repeat this a few times and alls good. It will clean out all the old oils etc and evaporate quickly.
Leave it a day or 2 before reinstalling and also give it a good blow out with the compressor help evaporate it also.

#7 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

KBS? The one similar to POR15 does a fuel tank sealing kit.

Exhaust gas is not a recommended way to protect yourself from explosion while welding.

Many people think that the gases wont ignite.

There is unburnt fuel to contend with.

But there is also carbon monoxide to worry about.

That you beaut gas that many have used to end their days is also explosive.

Either the unburnt fuel or carbon monoxide at the right percentage is going to spoil your day.

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

I used this kit. 

http://www.kbs-coati...ank-sealer-kit/

Cheers. 

#9 _AquaSLR5000_

_AquaSLR5000_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

I hot tanked it today, then washed it with a high pressure hose, blew out what I could with an air line and then put a shit load of wd40

into it.

It has come up perfect.

Thanks guys

#10 _reefhog_

_reefhog_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

The best thing to use to remove water from the tank is methylated spirits. Because it is alcohol , the water will mix with it. Slosh a couple of litres around and tip it out, and that will get rid of virtually all of the water. If you do it twice, just to make sure, then even if there is a small amount of metho left in the tank, it will mix with petrol .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users