No self park on wipers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hi all
I'm chasing a self park issue, everyone said must be motor, so I brought a second hand wiper motor stripped and rebuilt it and bench run and it self parks. Now the problem is I connected rebuilt motor to the vehicle wiring and earthed it and it doesn't self park, is the wiper switch a known problem the vehicle is a LH ( wiper on dash panel) ( FYI it's a Lucas system)

#2 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:49 PM

Probably a bad 0V connection on either the motor or the switch.

#3 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

Probably a bad 0V connection on either the motor or the switch.

0V do you mean earth?

#4 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

my ute did this for awhile, its all about timing :P got pretty good at stopping it in the right spot, my problem was in the switch just swapped it with another, (hj ute, switch on dash)

#5 _walpolla_

_walpolla_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

Do you have a good earth body to engine block?

I had trouble with the wipers on my LH, and the body earth was the culprit.

Also, make sure the switch is earthed well to the steel of the dash, no paint under the lock nut etc.

regards,Rod.

#6 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

0V do you mean earth?

0V or if you want -ve. There is no earth/ground on a car. The wiper switch needs to have a solid bond to the body of the car, as does the wiper motor in most cases. 

#7 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

The wiper motor should have an "earth" strap from the top right screw of the cover to the screw that holds it to the body of car....looking at the wiper motor in place  it is on the plug (right) side of wiper motor assy.

#8 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:42 PM

The wiper motor should have an "earth" strap from the top right screw of the cover to the screw that holds it to the body of car....looking at the wiper motor in place  it is on the plug (right) side of wiper motor assy.

Now that's funny the old motor that had no self park has an earth strap to mount screw. my new recon motor has the terminal to the side of the wiring plug and a earth strap, as mentioned I bench tested and it parked I sat it under the bonnet and plug in the loom and provided a body earth and it wouldn't self park

#9 caterham2

caterham2

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Location:Mansfield North East Victoria not the other one in QLD
  • Car:Ford Focus RS AWD Gone over to the dark side .. Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Ford Cortina 2 door MK1 Twin Cam

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

I've got a 1929 Chevrolet without self park on the wiper either, got pretty good at stopping it where I want it LOL

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

Try connecting a good earth wire to the body of switch in the dash. If the switch is not getting a good earth from the dash then the self park will not work.

The earth wire to the switch is just a quick way of diagnosing the problem. Usually just tightening the retaining collar on the switch will do the job. 

#11 _A9X UC_

_A9X UC_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

Had the same problem. The wipers park about quarter the way up the winscreen
You will find the motor is running in reverse
To fix. Just undo the main bolts from the motor housing
Rotate the housing 180 degrees and bolt back together. This will get it going in the right direction

#12 _jimjet61_

_jimjet61_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

Can also be the earth terminal inside the unit, had one have all these symptoms, and found one of the little copper arms that run on the wiper gear had broken.

#13 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:12 AM

Can also be the earth terminal inside the unit, had one have all these symptoms, and found one of the little copper arms that run on the wiper gear had broken.

No it's a fully rebuilt motor that self parks when powered up on a bench, however when fitted and earthed correctly doesn't

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users